Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ahern planning anti-terror initiative

Options
  • 15-03-2004 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭

Okay. Now I'm scared.

From BreakingNews.ie:
    The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has said he hoped to bring a new EU anti-terrorism initiative into law next week.

Mr Ahern said today that he had spoken to EU heads of state over the weekend and they had all agreed that the plan to combat terrorism needed to be enacted quickly.

Mr Ahern said last week’s bombings in Madrid, which killed at least 201 people, speeded up the process.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sadly, this is the first thing that came to mind when I saw the bombings on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Bad time for us to president of the EU, we haven't exactly got the best assests to combat an attack here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by irish1
    we haven't exactly got the best assests to combat an attack here!
    There aren't many assets that can stop someone from leaving a bag in a public place.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

What's more worrying Irish is that McDowell might wind up devising the basis for an EU-wide anti-terrorism body of legislation. Hell, I'm surprised he hasn't used this as an excuse to push through some of his pet ideas, like mandatory ID cards for everyone....

Advertisement