Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change Language?

Options
  • 15-03-2004 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Anyone no if it is possible to completely change the language of windows xp (an oem copy thats preinstaled on a laptop)?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Control Panel > Regional Options ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭koloth

If you're talking about changing the language of the User Interface, you'll need WindowsXP Multilingual User Interface Pack. You may already have this installed, however it's not sold through retail.

See here for more details: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/DrIntl/faqs/MUIFaq.mspx

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yip - even though you already have a license you have to pay again and unless you are a corporate you'll probably have to buy a new copy of XP ....

Never tried these on XP - you could try to install a foreign version of IE - this will change lots of menus - on older versions of windows you could apply foreign service packs and see what changed - but Xp might not let you do that. - None of this is really recomended as strange stuff might start happening with the resulting mismatch of system files.

Anyway since you mainly use apps you could look at foreign versions of them eg: www.openoffice.org

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Makes a big difference if you're used to a different interface. I learned the Win9x interface and Excel when I was in France, and had some trouble converting all the formulae to English when I came back. I'll never forget staring at the screen when I came back for a minute wondering why it said "Start" instead of Démarrer :D

Mind you, nothing was as strange as using my friend's laptop - she's Taiwanese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭weichen

I'v Traditional chinese and simp chinese WindowsXP Multilingual User Interface Pack
    If it is helpful.Contact me if you need it.
    After you install this Pack you go Control Panel > Regional Options change to Traditional chinese
    should be okey now.

cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement