Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fat Cats Cough Up

Options
  • 15-03-2004 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭

Looking at the Sunday Independent rich list yesterday I couldn't help but feel peeved. One after another I read the little biogs of the super rich......."they made their money from the tax free bloodstock industry", "they are a tax free exile", "they are a tax free artist". You've got to wonder at these mega rich people who love to proclaim their Irishness but who don't pull their weight in this society. The small PAYE workers will be hounded, named and shamed for tax misdemeanours yet others walk the red carpets of the world as proud Irish multi millionaires and pay little or no tax here. I think its time for these people to pull their weight in the country that made them who they are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Expect the rich to pay tax, you mad??

That should list should not include IMO anyone living outside the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

You're dead right. The most sickening thing of last year was Denis O'Brien lapping it up in Croke Park during the special olympics. What a hypocrite. This was a man who was on the Late Late Show when he got his big windfall from the Digifone sale and said he'd pay his tax due and the fecks off to Portugal and a few years later moans about the Irish people and their attitude.

I don't know about anyone else but if I had a windfall of 250million I'd pay my tax as it wouldn't make much difference. You would have enough to live on for several lifetimes. But I might come to a deal with revenue where I could pay the tax directly to a "super tax" fund which is ring fenced and the funds overseen by competent, responsible people who will see it gets spent properly on health, education etc. Then again, shouldn't we all expect that from our hard earned few bob and not see it frittered away by keeping people in jobs for life and giving them salary increases with no productivity gains etc etc , Don't get me started.

Advertisement