Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watercooling - Pics and Suggestions Please

Options
  • 15-03-2004 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at getting water cooling into my system for the last while. Finally the noise of my zalman has annoyed me too much and I've finally decided to get it.

I've been looking at the innovaSET XXD with the extra gfx attachment.

Thing is I've a window on my case and I'm wondering where exactly does the radiator go? Most sites I've found dont really show great pictures of the system in a case.

I'm looking for pictures or suggestions on setup for the system. Feel free to throw in anything else you think I should know too.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Radiator goes whereever you put it.

If you have a 120mm fan in your case, it makes most sense to put it there.
    otherwise you either cut up the case to make room for it, or you place it outside.

If it's out, that means you have tubes going out through a pci slot opening, so the case is not very portable - if you're going to lan parties it could be a problem :)

By the way, i got an innovatek kit and i'm upgrading my water cooling setup.
    I have a spare pump (Eheim 1048 - 600 l/h), reservoir and tubing. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you a good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Thats a big ass Rad that takes 2x120mm fans....... you will need a big enough case to mount it. Probably the best place would be at the top of the case where it would take up one or two of the CD-ROM drives.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141043 , theres a few pics i took of the inside of my sonata........ the Innovatek rads are big and i had to cut the clips off mind, remove the handle mechanism (leaving on the outer part) and slightly bend up the PSU rail. Damm tight fit i can tell you !! It saved me cutting a hole so it was prob worth it.

What Zalman cooler do you have thats making all the noise? If its the 7000 set to silent then the water pump is prob going to make roughly the same ammount of noise. Its not silent but very quiet......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Thanks for the link to that thread. Some nice pictures. Def gave few ideas on where to put the rad. Will need to put a whole in the top of the case tho I'm thinking to let some of the air out. Pretty warm up there at times too.

I've a zalmon flower cooler. It not even on full and its really loud. The system temps are really really hot with it. Hitting 75oC+ at times. The board seems to idle alot higher than the old asus one I had with same chip. Water cooling would do the trick nicely to get temps and noise levels down and let me push system a bit more.

Any suggestions on temp monitors? I looking for one with probes and displays cause I quite sure the on board ones are kinda wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Prosta

I stuck this in another thread somewhere.
    This is how I had set my watercooling up on old case.

Rad is a heatercore from a Peugot 106, pump from Petstop and resevoir is from a salt and pepper set in Dunnes.

The Zalman waterblock is way better then a gemini waterblock I used to use.

Wish I hadn't said that about the Gemini block cause its going spare too.

If interested I'll also give you a very good price

http://www.geminicool.com/

• Advertisement

Ok I've spent the last few days taking apart my system and rearranging things and to my total disgust my case is too small for the dual rad system by about 3cm. Kinda annoyed as you would imagine. Have to wait till I get a new case in the summer I guess with my new system.

Until then has anyone got any suggestions for a cpu fan. I need something quiet and that will perform fairly decent too.

thanks again for the help

Fan wise prob the best arround for cooling silently would be the Zalman 7000 (alcu is cheaper and performs almost the same). Other than that (if Zalman doesent fit) then you could go with a ThermalRight SLK/ALX and stick your own variable fan on it??

PS that sucks real bad that the case is too small, the Rad's are much bigger than i had thought!!

If u looked at my pic above, this is an update
    Found a sheet of aluminium in B&Q 250mmx500mm
    You can cut/score it with a stanley knife.

Makes the rad look a bit neater . Might hang it out the back of my case (Super Lanboy)

Will update when I get it plumbed in

This really aint my day. The 7000 aint compatible with my board so cant have that.

Where would I find the ThermalRight cooler?

One I have been looking at (mainly cause it lower sound emission) is the Thermaltake Venus Silent Boost you know if this is any good?

thanks again for the help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Have a look @ these

CPU Coolers

Thanks joePC

• Advertisement

Thanks for the links joePC. I'm not to much of a fan of that company. Very very very bad dealing with an RMA request with them. But then only komplett have been good with RMA's.

Anyway with the post strike thats just pretty much kicked in it leave problems with ordering from some places.

Been looking thru reviews of normal fans too and came across this
    http://www.chillblast.com/customer/product.php?productid=16143
    Any tell me what they think about it other than how ugly it looks. Thanks

www.hitide.ie , www.pc-look.com ........... both do thermalright stuff and have nice fans to go with it !! Thermalright have probably the best air coolers you can buy, highly recomended. I personally hate thermaltake CPU coolers, i find them MUCH noisier than they state (have had a few in the past) ....... not sure if they have improved but id never buy one again. God the Volcano 7 .......... ouch that was like a jet engine.

My board isnt actually compatible with aint heatsinks that require mounting holes. Leaves things pretty restricted which sucks.

I looked around at the thermaltake stuff. Generally good review with only one actually measuring the sound. Said it was 40 but that was only loaded than whisper cpu. I dunno. Cooling has to be better than what I've got but then I dont think the temps off my board are right.

Any recommend a temp probe system>?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the same board i get all strange temp readings. One day its saying its 58c the next its saying its 48c.. It does not crash or anything so i dont care "if its not broke dont fix it".

Well my temp read around 60 most of the time. It dont go up or down but does hit over 75 at night if I'm encoding stuff. Problem is I'm quite sure the cpu aint that hot cause I had it running faster on the old board and it wasnt that hot

Received my Black Ice pro radiator from Sidewinder computers.

Running at 30° to 35° full load

Pic of the back

Last 1 with the lights off

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

i just got the Complete-Kit innovaSET XS(478) Socket 478 / A / 754 from hitide
    and it rox tbh 38 under load (AMD Athlon™ XP 2600+ @ 2.3ghz)
    only prob was water take started leaking :S (noticed in time tho ) getting it replaced

Prosta

where did you get the uv sleave's for the psu cables?

• Advertisement

Site called www.case-mod.com takes Irish Credit Cards but only ships within the US now. You send them a pic of any mods u have done and they give you a discount voucher.

Got family in San Fran that posts stuff home in exchange for King crisps and Barrys tea bags :D

hehe ok thanks
    do have the name of them ?
    ill try ask around abit

per that site its FLEXO PolyEthylene Terepthalate
    1/2in and 1/4in Sleeving - Neon Red (uv sensitive)

You'll get loads of hits if you search for Flexo PET

ok thanks dude :D

Ah man those temps make me wish I had been able get water cooling. sub 40 would be sweet on full load then again my chip dont hit that with the fan on full on idle. gets 41 then.

Ended up getting the thermaltake Extreme volcano 12. It cant be heard on silent and my system idles at 51 now system temp of 37. Then super considering it used to be at 68 with old zalmon cooler. Aint much difference if I knock fan up full temp wise. Temp does drop a few degrees but sounds like hover on :D

Got system running at 11*200 now with ram at 2-2-5. All seems stable enough but havent started pushing it yet. Gonna give it a while. One thing that bothers me. The windows hardware monitor has agp at 80mhx (I set it to 66 in bios - have to recheck that saved tho) and the pci at 40. No where to set that tho. I'm a bit worried about the pci one tho. Any ideas on how to bring this down because I want to push things bit further over next while (namely bring cpu multipler up if I can) but if pci goes up with system bus I've few problems.

Thanks for help.

Oh and Prosta sweet sweet system. Case looks very well done.

Thank you much Ryaner!

Can't help you with the overclocking. Been real lazy and just used the 10% option in ASUS AI bios.

Looking at the Cool-Matic ATI waterblock on Hitide. Trying to justify spending that much cash. I read somewhere there is no point in watercooling a gpu without doing the vid memory. That looks like a neat solution. http://www.hitide.ie/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/200

Also if anyone wants the Gemini waterblock and/or radiator mentioned above, let me know. All you'd need is a pump (1 also on offer I see) and some tubing and your laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭fozz

Way to go Dermo!
    Looks good.
    Now you need to get a water cooler for that Northbridge there.

Take it easy.

The GFX memory tends to be the main problem with pushing the cards. Very few of the cards actually have ram sinks which would really increase stability if they did. The on hitide did get good reviews I think alot there is better if your really gonna push it. Prob not anywhere close to silent tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thats a sweet rig ya got there prosta,i got the Cool-Matic FX Waterblock for my GF FX 5900 ultra from Hitide,it covers the cpu/ram on one side of the card,tiz well sweet.I'll post a pic tomorrow if i have time.

CombatCow

• Advertisement
Advertisement