Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

just bought star wars galaxies...

Options
  • 15-03-2004 4:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭

.. my first MMORPG ever... very different from "normal" RPG's.

I bought it yesterday, and I've played like 5h so far... I met a guy online that helped me out with some weapons and money.

The problem I have though is that I just don't know what to do. Right now I'm just running around by myself, picking up missions and killing stupid monster lairs.
    I am guessing there are many more things to the game, but I just don't know what they are.

Anyone care to help me out with some ideas on what I should be doing (or even better, contact me if you are playing SWG and help me in the game, my name is freija :))

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Just figure out what/where everything is and what it all means. The first 5/10 hours are literally a case of "what the f......" as the game is just so overwhelmingly big until you get used to the sheer scale.

Try hook up with some contacts more often than not. Their skillsets will compliment yours & vice-versa. They can help you with your missions and turnabout again.

Figure out where you want to take your character (as opposed to just climbing a skill-tree for the sake of it). You'll get there faster!

Enjoy the game ;)

I'm on the far-star server (grifja od'dub) if you're around.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

yeh i bought the game about 4 months ago and i havent stopped playing it since,it takes about 2 weeks until you fully know what your doing but in the meantime go on hunts with a good few people,maybe join a guild
    Most people on the chimera server are nice and friendly so they help you out as much as possible.
    If your on the chimera server my name is Atura Cain,look me up and ill give u a hand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I'm in a guild with a bunch of irish guys on Chimaera server. We have our own city called 'Temple Bar' just west of the mining outpost on Dantooine.

Our guild is called 'MegaloCorp', our tag is <MlC>. We're always looking for more people to join us, we nearly have enough people to get our city to the next level. :) My char is 'Anavel'. Other officers are 'dubhlinn', 'Elara' and 'Azrea'.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

I stopped playing after mastering 16 profs and not unlocking my FSS.

Tbh, it is one of the worst MMORPG's I have ever played, zero content, massive lag, terrible PvP :/

But some people do enjoy it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Alright.. seems like most people are on the europe-chimaera server, so I created a character named MightyThor on this server.

Feel free to contact me... I'd really like to play with someone more experienced :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Originally posted by Cina
    I stopped playing after mastering 16 profs and not unlocking my FSS.

Tbh, it is one of the worst MMORPG's I have ever played, zero content, massive lag, terrible PvP :/

But some people do enjoy it..

Its bad but not the worst., but not by much :D

Horizons is the worst lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

tbh having played this game for a good few months, and having unlocked my FSCS, I have to agree. The game is boring, there is NO end game content for hardcore gamers.

The pvp is pointless, and unbalanced.
    The Jedi are crap.

I'm holding on for the jedi revamp thoguh. If I'm not happy then, i'll prolly "cancel"

Half the fun of a MMORPG is the people, and I've met a lot of nice people in SWG.

I think I'm gonna stick playing this one until I've got the hang of it, then I'll decide if I like it or not... but so far I think it's pretty alright...

Originally posted by muffen
    Half the fun of a MMORPG is the people, and I've met a lot of nice people in SWG.

I think I'm gonna stick playing this one until I've got the hang of it, then I'll decide if I like it or not... but so far I think it's pretty alright...

Memnoch said the same thing when he started playing when I explained how boring and shallow a game SW:G was :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Just out of interest what game u playing now venom

• Advertisement

Memnoch said the same thing when he started playing when I explained how boring and shallow a game SW:G was

What do you think the best MMORPG is for a beginner?

I mean, I was thinking about EverQuest before I bought SWG. The reason I didn't go for EQ is that it's been around for too long.. there must be people who have unbeatable characters.. and starting now... you'll always be behind.

SWG on the other hand is fairly new, and the number of people playing it seems to be pretty good..

As I said, so far I've enjoyed playing SWG, and I'll keep playing it until I get the hang of it.
    However, I'd be interested in knowing what you think is the best game for a beginner.

BTW, is anyone else than me really looking forward to WoW? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire

SWG is a great beginners MMORPG. It's easy to get into, make money, level up etc..

However for someone like me who's played every MMORPG out there, it's a case of...been there done that.

Originally posted by muffen
    What do you think the best MMORPG is for a beginner?

Dark age of camelot is the BEST mmorpg for a beginner IMO, has everything u want, and ppl are friendly and helpful because helping their realm mate helps them in the long run.
    I WAS looking forward to WoW, but unforuantely its mainly aimed at proper "role players" and "questers" which is not the kind of MMO i'm looking for, EVEN if it is in the warcraft world. I'm dissapointed that there is no incentive to PvP in WoW. Any MMO i've played to date that has not had an incentive to PvP, the PvP has generally SUCKED in it.

The best PvP so far has been DAOC, as there are pleanty of incentives to PvP, and the team based fighting is balanced and fun.
    Lineage 2 looks promising however. I'd love to hear the Beta reports on it

Originally posted by Rev Hellfire

None :D

Im gonna pick up WOW in June tho :)

Originally posted by Cina
    SWG is a great beginners MMORPG. It's easy to get into, make money, level up etc..

However for someone like me who's played every MMORPG out there, it's a case of...been there done that.

SWG is ****e. There is no reasion to play after a month as you will have maxed your character out in the choosen class, have a big house full of pixel junk, got a mount + speeder bike+droid and pet along with kick ass armor and guns/sabres. Not to mention finished all the quests and theme parks. Jedi is the only grind in the game and most people have that inside 2 months unless the random skills needed to unlock the slot ar character creation were all the slow ones like BH and droid eng.

2 months and then you get to sit in town posing and trying to look cool.

UO kept me for 2.5 years and EQ over 3 years. Both of those games well gave me my monies worth and even as a major SW fanboi, SWG was such a disapointment. Hell even Planetside was more fun and lasted longer :D

Even Lucasarts are in deep **** due to SWG being so crap and them not being able to keep subscribers staying on but having invested a fortune in it.

Go play EQ for a biginner's MMORPG, lots of players, 100's of distint area's and a reasion to want to get to the higher levels :) I understand what your saying about the people who have been playing longer buts that the fun, to be the best. When I finished playing even folks who had a few years head start on me were jealious of the gear I was wearing on my character :D Whats the point in playing if its easy? Why go to the trouble of just being the same or equal to the next guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Come to Neocron Venom. I'll be moving my clan to the more hostile faction (so I can kill more people). I'll sort you out with stuff on Pluto.

Originally posted by Hobbes
    Come to Neocron Venom. I'll be moving my clan to the more hostile faction (so I can kill more people). I'll sort you out with stuff on Pluto.

Neocron just never did it for me :(

Just gonna wait for WOW then go undead bad ass mofo along with the rest of the Something Awful Goons :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,064 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I pld this for around a week and gave up...wasnt fun or adictive as most mmorpgs are ,

I suggest DAOC , its a lil old now but has 2 expansions , really good fun and very very addctive.

so.. I've been playing the game pretty much constantly since I got it.. and now I'm really starting to like it.

I bought a speederbike today, and the game became a lot more fun after that. I couldn't really go out hunting with other people as most people didn't like the idea of running, but after I got the speeder I've had a good time playing it.

I also figured out how to do a lot of things once I started going hunting in a group.
    I think the game is really good, and kinda addictive. I think I'm gonna keep playing it until I'm a good BountyHunter atleast :)

... but then again, this is the first MMORPG I'm playing (and if the other ones are MORE addictive, I'm happy I chose this one :))

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Played SWG for 3 months, was happy for a while but decided it wasnt the game for me, so i went back to DaoC and bought the new expansion pack, now i couldn't be happier playing it.

If you are gonna stay though, as Dr Teeth said , join up with MegaloCorp.. i was with them and are a nice friendly Irish guild to be with... but your choice of Professions is a good one, albeit a long road to master.

Good luck anyways

• Advertisement

If you are gonna stay though, as Dr Teeth said , join up with MegaloCorp.. i was with them and are a nice friendly Irish guild to be with...

Yeah, I would if I had started playing on the Europe-Chimaera server.. but unfortunately my account is on another server ('A' something, can never remeber the name).

I did create a secondary account on Europe-Chimaera, but I haven't been able to find someone from MegaloCorp (I just log in every now and then to check).

Might actually swap servers if Megalocorp are willing to let me join :)

So, thought I'd add a small update after playing for two weeks.

My character is now Master Scout and Master Marksman, I'm still going for BountyHunter.

I'm playing on the Azari server, and I joined a rebel guild. Basically, for having played two weeks, I think I'm doing really well :)

I think that the choice to play SWG was really good. The game is brilliant, and people ingame are nice. It takes a while to figure everything out, but once you do it's great fun.
    For anyone wanting to try an MMORPG, I think that SWG is a great one to start with.
    ...not that I've played any other ones, but I have a friend who is EQ addicted, and the whole running for two hours to get somewhere part kinda threw me off that one.

I do regret that I created the account on Azari and not Chimaera, would have been fun to play with you guys from boards :)

Master scout and Master Marksman can be done in about 2 days :)

Not trying to bellitle your achievement, as everyone takes a while to learn the game and master starting professions etc. However the problem with swg, is that once u do learn the game there is very little to do.. problems I have with the game are..

1) Lack of high end content
    2) Messed up economy - the people who make the most money are afk campers who sit in a cave all day clicking skill tapes and selling them for millions
    3) Lack of decent PvP - the PvP is extremely unbalanced and not much fun. FOTM classes are commen and with ease of mastery ppl flock to them all too often.
    4) The PvP "civil war" is a joke. There is not much fun for the individual player like there was in DAOC. Not much PvP really. Most fights are over far too quick. The amount of time it takes to get buffed, get in a group go find someone to PvP with is not worth the time spent fighting. Most fights are over fast one way or another. Especially if Combat Medics are involved.
    5) The game centres around loot farming. Thats what they seem to consider "high end content" Kill a mob 50 times, while others are kill stealing and big guild gank squads are ganking, and hope to get an item, which you will use up in a week and need to replace.
    6) The dev's communication skills are severely lacking. a good example is the "crafting experimentation changes" fiasco. They spent a good month developing and coding the change, without taking any player feedback. then when they tried to sneak it in players saw what was happening and there was a HUGE uproar. Eventually they decided to role back the change as it would have pissed off about 90% of the player base and lead to cancellation of a LOT of accounts.
    7) Useless updates. The dev's spend a lot of time coding useless things that are poorly implemented like the "imperial crackdown", which stands for a bunch of low level Imp mobs appearing at random to get slaughtered by any near by level - what a waste of space. The droid invasion was another one. Who the hell wants to use a level 10 monster for combat? They die in like 3 hits to any decent player, what a waste. The devs keep adding useless fluff to the game, while many serious bugs such as armorholes still exist and COUNTLESS classes are broken.
    8) Jedi are nothing like Jedi in Star Wars. In fact Jedi are by far the weakest combat class in game, ridiculously hard to level, 0 fun to play. Their weapon's cost 20 million to make and wear out in 2 weeks. Imagine having to come with with 20 million credits every 2 weeks? Either that or play with a cdef weapon.
    9) Dev sanctioned griefing. BH missions, are the only real fun content for any high level players. This has resulted in BH's griefing Jedi to extinction. eg, BH + friends take a mission on jedi. They incap jedi but BH doesn't DB, his friends' do. Jedi dies and has to clone, guess who is waiting at the cloning terminal??? Rinse repeat. Jedi can't log out as he gets an extra death, and results in SKILL LOSS.

... I could go on... this is a fun game for the first couple of months, but it gets old fast. The main grind in the game is to unlock Jedi, and even that is such a false carrot as Jedi really aren't worth the effort it takes to unlock.

I can agree to some of the things you are saying, and I do believe that you might get tired of the game after a few months.. but this is my opinion is a good thing :)

MMORPG's are very addictive, so I think that SWG is brilliant just because it gets less addictive after a few months of playing :)

1) Lack of high end content

Very true tho there are adding new "instance type dungeons" which could be fun. The recent adding of a uber mobs in various locations like the Tusken Fort is awful. What can you do when a mob can drop you in 1 shot while your buffed to the gills on food and drugs and doc buffs and wearing 60%+ comp armor? Seeing as how no player can tank these mobs and pets get ripped up in seconds, having them in the game is not adding a challenge, just an area no one will go.

2) Messed up economy - the people who make the most money are afk campers who sit in a cave all day clicking skill tapes and selling them for millions

Not to mention how the economy is fooked over from both credit dupers and crafters being involved in every aspect of the market of the game. Was offered a RIS helm for 15 million the other day and it wasnt a patch on the stats my comp helm has. Every crafting based game always seems to run into trouble very quickly into the games life for some reasion.

3) Lack of decent PvP - the PvP is extremely unbalanced and not much fun. FOTM classes are commen and with ease of mastery ppl flock to them all too often.

Couldnt agree more. Most of the players Iv killed and who whinged to me about how "overpowered" BH's are were fools. No armor + no buff + crappy weapon = no chance against someone who's play smart in pvp. Also the whole 10 yahoo's hanging around the clone centre and cantina yet run at the first sight of a decent fight? PVP or dont but the game needs to get rid of the griefers fast.

4) The PvP "civil war" is a joke. There is not much fun for the individual player like there was in DAOC. Not much PvP really. Most fights are over far too quick. The amount of time it takes to get buffed, get in a group go find someone to PvP with is not worth the time spent fighting. Most fights are over fast one way or another. Especially if Combat Medics are involved.

Civil war lol. You mean the 3 to 1 odds if not more of reb vs imp? The lack of any imperial power in the cities and im sorry but I dont consider the 10 weak ass stromtrooper in anchor head to be showing off the Emperors power. Rebel players should have it much harder than Imperial players due to them being like criminals in the SW mythos of the time frame the game is set in! Its always going to be easier hanging out with the bully over the underdog but in SWG's case the roles are reversed. Mayber SWG is really set in some twisted alter dimension universe lol.

5) The game centres around loot farming. Thats what they seem to consider "high end content" Kill a mob 50 times, while others are kill stealing and big guild gank squads are ganking, and hope to get an item, which you will use up in a week and need to replace.

This happens in every mmorpg. Racing to beat another guild to the target mob or zone. The kill stealing and the drama. Once more than 1 person is playing a game expect this to happen.

6) The dev's communication skills are severely lacking. a good example is the "crafting experimentation changes" fiasco. They spent a good month developing and coding the change, without taking any player feedback. then when they tried to sneak it in players saw what was happening and there was a HUGE uproar. Eventually they decided to role back the change as it would have pissed off about 90% of the player base and lead to cancellation of a LOT of accounts.

They just dont listen and seem to just follow the yells and demands of the official forum's. At-St are bad so take them off the imp player as rebel players have nothing simular even tho the rebels are ment to be the underdogs?

7) Useless updates. The dev's spend a lot of time coding useless things that are poorly implemented like the "imperial crackdown", which stands for a bunch of low level Imp mobs appearing at random to get slaughtered by any near by level - what a waste of space. The droid invasion was another one. Who the hell wants to use a level 10 monster for combat? They die in like 3 hits to any decent player, what a waste. The devs keep adding useless fluff to the game, while many serious bugs such as armorholes still exist and COUNTLESS classes are broken.

While they cant just spend all there time fixing broken skills and functions in the game, they need to fix the basics of the game like skills and house's going poof. Is there even 1 fully working class in the game right now? Hell BH's are broken as hell with missions that dont work, skills that cos way to much in HAM and just dont pay out for the amount of skills required to get to BH over carbineer or pistoleer.

Quests in SWG suck. They are either go to a certain location and kill mobs/npc or go and talk to a npc and then go back to the place you got the quest for! BORING. I know most games have simular quest structure but they at least hid it a bit better. Hell even to have to track down an npc/mob and get multiple items to complete the quest would break up the bordom.

8) Jedi are nothing like Jedi in Star Wars. In fact Jedi are by far the weakest combat class in game, ridiculously hard to level, 0 fun to play. Their weapon's cost 20 million to make and wear out in 2 weeks. Imagine having to come with with 20 million credits every 2 weeks? Either that or play with a cdef weapon.
    9) Dev sanctioned griefing. BH missions, are the only real fun content for any high level players. This has resulted in BH's griefing Jedi to extinction. eg, BH + friends take a mission on jedi. They incap jedi but BH doesn't DB, his friends' do. Jedi dies and has to clone, guess who is waiting at the cloning terminal??? Rinse repeat. Jedi can't log out as he gets an extra death, and results in SKILL LOSS.

Jedi have problem's same as every other class but guess what, there are more DE's on a server then jedi and I dont think its fair that DE's and Cheifs are still broken class's and worthless over 6 months after the game came out. Jedi getting griefed does suck but its totaly blown out of proportion in all fairness. As for the cost of the Jedi weapon, this is reflects back to my point earlier with the whole crafter economy. Jedi needed items like crystals should be nodrop and only come from quests that each jedi must do them selves. The economy is just so fooked up its beyond a joke atm.

SWG could be a great game, it really could. The gfx are increadable and the sounds spot on to the movies. Broken skills and dreadful bugs not to mention the lack of music in the game need to be worked on asap. The whole civil war needs to be redone and the game needs to be brought inline with the movies to capture the feel of the Star Wars movies, which is the main reasion people are playing this game.

To many class's that just dont fit in with the SW universe and mythos were introduced such as CH and the unbalanced in the civil war needs to be addressed so players feel like they are in a universe far far away.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    I'm in a guild with a bunch of irish guys on Chimaera server. We have our own city called 'Temple Bar' just west of the mining outpost on Dantooine.

Our guild is called 'MegaloCorp', our tag is <MlC>. We're always looking for more people to join us, we nearly have enough people to get our city to the next level. :) My char is 'Anavel'. Other officers are 'dubhlinn', 'Elara' and 'Azrea'.

Teeth.

Finally got the game. Now I just have to find you lot.

Temple Bar guild is dead.

All of us have quit playing out of either boredom or frustration.

Anavel is still around but he is in KDS now which is an Imperial roleplay pvp guild.

Even after getting a jedi and levelling it for a month I have quit as well

I will never buy an SOE product again, I have learnt my lesson from SWG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭ArphaRima

i bought it twice today.

First time cd-key was in use. brought it back.

2nd time same problem. really annoying.

Originally posted by fluffer
    i bought it twice today.

First time cd-key was in use. brought it back.

2nd time same problem. really annoying.
    well recently GAME have employed a policy where buy MMORPGs are non-returnable - due to ppl stealing CD keys. Also most games now have their CD keys on the inside near the CD and you don't get that till they actually put the game inside the box.

So I know its more expensive, but if you want to be guarenteed a CD key go buy it from GAME, as atleast that way you won't have this hassle.

On the other hand you could take it as a sign and not play SWG at all, the boring heap of shiite that it is :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I had SWg. Its bloody crap and boring. I got FFXI and its brillaint. Lovely game and good updates.

Plus i'm in a linkshell called the Swords of Honour

Advertisement