Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUI maynooth

Options
  • 15-03-2004 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Ok i think im in the right place to ask this now.

Is there anybody out there that I can talk to in regards to Computer Science and Software Engineering & Computer Science, in maynooth?

I have a bunch of questions on these courses & would appriciate it if somebody would PM me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

PM Sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

your inbox is full

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Ah, fixed. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

i'm doing computer science in NUIM,i can tell ye it's tough going and has a big drop out rate so if u dont think ye cud stick it.....
    It is more interesting than Chemistry and physics tho.

really? coz looking at the time table, subject listings & past exams it doesn't look that bad, i mean in double honours you only have about 12 hours a week in third year.

How much practical work are you expected to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

i'm doing computer science in NUIM,i can tell ye it's tough going and has a big drop out rate so if u dont think ye cud stick it.....

i totally agree,
    i used to live with a load of guys that were doing computer science in NUIM, it was bloody hard and most of them and their mates had to repeat at least the exams, and usually the year.

i mean in double honours you only have about 12 hours a week in third year

yeah, but you gotta get thru the first two years too. it's no mean feat i tell ya

yeah, but you gotta get thru the first two years too. it's no mean feat i tell ya

ill be applying to get into third year, worst case scenario ill have to go to second year.

can anybody explain the differences between single & double honours ?

what are the choices in regards to the "aditional" science subject that has to be taken in computer science?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Speaking of Maynooth....anyone that goes there can ye tell me what college life is like there? I may be going there to study Geography once I finish what I'm doing in Biology in June as the Geography course there goes in to Environmental Geography and with Biology that's what I want to do.....anywho if anyone could tell me what the college is like (and the course if anyone's doing it, that'd be a bonus) that would be great. Thanks.

Originally posted by ClareBear
    anywho if anyone could tell me what the college is like (and the course if anyone's doing it, that'd be a bonus) that would be great. Thanks.

hey clarebear,
    well i dont know anything about the course,
    but this is my fourth year in maynooth and i love it.
    its so cozy and small.
    seriously, its a lovely place to study.
    of course, there is always the bad side to it being 'cozy and small', everyone knows everyone, but hey, thats all part of the fun

Thanks Catho....is this your last year so?

Also, if I do end up going there....what's the part time job prospects in the town like? Is it easy enough for students to get part time work? Don't really know Maynooth that well. Only been once.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ClareBear
    Thanks Catho....is this your last year so?

Also, if I do end up going there....what's the part time job prospects in the town like? Is it easy enough for students to get part time work? Don't really know Maynooth that well. Only been once.

yep, my last year for the moment. doing my masters at the moment.

employment prospects depend really...
    if you get in there early for the jobs they are there.
    shops, pubs, tesco is the best probably coz there's always work there. the su bar hires quite a bit of people too.
    im not too sure as i kinda walked into a job in the roost pretty easily when i got to maynooth, and now im tutoring so thats me sorted job wise...

and hey, i said it before and ill say it again, if you wanna come down to maynooth for a bit of a session anytime clarebear, just send me a pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

Yeah Main ooth is a bit of a larf all roysh. The Roost does a great pint of Guinness as does Caulfields. The only problems I have is the fact that there is only one nightclub and that there isn't much to do in between lectures(if it wasn't for the snooker hall I might actually get some worky done!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

Originally posted by catho_monster
    hey clarebear,
    well i dont know anything about the course,
    but this is my fourth year in maynooth and i love it.
    its so cozy and small.
    seriously, its a lovely place to study.
    of course, there is always the bad side to it being 'cozy and small', everyone knows everyone, but hey, thats all part of the fun

i'm in nuim also and i think it's great.. not too big but big enough if ya know what i mean.. great college...:)

Thanks everyone....and thanks Catho Monster....I think coming from a rural area Maynooth might suit me better than inner Dublin city does (as much as I like it, don't get me wrong...just scares me a wee bit and I like the idea of knowing everyone, sounds like where I went to college in Cork)...and the course there seems like the one for me....have an interview with the head of the Geography department coming up so maybe we can meet up that evening if you're about? Sure I'll send ya a PM anyway, would like to know what student life is like there too outside of classes. Thanks Catho, I'll be in touch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

If you're going to start talking about pubs and social life, move to College play please. Hope you get on well where ever you go ClareBear.

John

Thanks

And sorry....just when I saw the thread was dedicated to NUI Maynooth I thought I'd ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

NP, I'm not telling you off. I'm just suggesting a conversation like that would get more hits in College play.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Anyone got anymore info and opinions on the CSSE course in Maynooth? It looks like I'll be doing this course next year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'm doing Computer Science as part of 1st Science, I can tell ye it's bloody hard.

Advertisement