Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldfish

Options
  • 15-03-2004 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭

we have a goldfish at home, who's 17 years old, which is pretty impressive. we never bothered recording the date when we got him , so when he dies would it be possible to find out his age?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

cut him open and count the rings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

eh, u just sed he's 17? :P
    My record is 5 or 6 yrs so fair play!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

ask him for some proof, maybe he's lying.

I'd check his passport or birthcert if i was you

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You said yourself the fish is 17? Am I missing something here?

Sheron, bold.

I was always told fish were like trees? ;) sorry :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭T.G Catter

yes he's 17!! i know we can't believe it. he has some kind of dementia thing going on now, but he is 17. Guinness book of records anyone?

It's goldfish version 5.0. He's probably died a few times and been replaced on the quiet ;)

nope, the record is 40 or thereabouts as far as i kno.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Goldfish, like other fish for instance koi, can live to a great age.
    Congrats tho, coz it is very unusual. My record is 14 (an still going) but thats in my mothers pond, not indoors.

It is amazing how long they can survive tho, and not just fish, believe it or not, when I was about 17, I put a tropical (i know, bad dawnie), off-white with red eyes, albino aquatic frog in my mothers pond, and now, 10 years later, hes still alive! He hibernates each winter an re-emerges in summer! and hes huge! (was sposed to be a "dwarf" LOL) :)

B

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't fish keep growing throughout their life ?
    There is a garden centre off the Naas road - turn before City West as you head south - and they have giant monster carp there in the ponds. Big fat orange and white bastards about half a metre long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Maeve

I had one that was 14. 17 is pretty good for a goldfish.
    Keeping ti in an aquarium or outside in a pond ?? Whats the trick

the more space a fish has, the larger it'll grow.And they are one hell of a lot happier in tanks than bowls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

maeve,
    personally, i think they do better in a pond, ill tell u why.
    My mother has an P shaped pont, one half is 3 foot deep the other is 12" deep, now its not one of these pre-made carbon ones, its cement made, and its about 8foot long x 5foot wide at widest point.
    There are one huge ancient goldfish and one frog (that i mentioned earlier) in there for years now, this pond has no pump, and no chemicals put in, its completely natural, filtered naturally with insect life, plants and refilled by rain.
    its amazing, this was not done purposely, out of laziness this entire eco-system has formed and is thriving, she has dragon flies, all sorts of aquatic life, beetles etc, all sorts of wild plants, and she never even needs to so much as feed anything.

everything seems to thrive in it, so, to me, all these pumps and chemicals and things are just moneyspinners for the industry, when dont *properly* ponds can be self-managing! :)

B

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

That's cool to have a pond like that!

My record is 7 years or so. He was huge. Sad day when he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/414114.stm

43 years old,
    won at a funfair,
    and kept in a bowl.
    :eek:

howzzaat?

Advertisement