Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ross O' Carroll Kelly

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Some people just don't "get" the Rosser books.

In a lot of cases they don't realise when the author is actually taking the piss out of the charcters when they think they're meant to laugh with them.

A bit like watching "The Office" and thinking it's actually real.

Exactly. And when Ronan came on the scene, and his trip abroad with 'Rosser' I swear it's the closest I've ever gotten to wetting myself laughing. But the thing is.. N/S & S/S folk are likely to feel a little offended and yet see the funny side. If you don't see this throughout his books, then they aren't really meant for you.

themont85 wrote: »
    I know but I was just mentioning it. I have the original book(only a few hundred printed, might be worth something some day ha) which was only edited insofar as each column was in the Tribune. This would be a typical paragraph for example;

''The goys and I head to Eddies in Stilliorgan, we're talking me, Christian and JP. After five minutes, in comes Sorcha, roysh. Her hair is tied back in a scrunchy, roysh. She's wearing a pink aertex, collars up of course, roysh...''

Literally every character introduced like that, 'roysh' in every sentance. Tbh I don't know how I stuck through it. I'm delighted he ditched that after a couple of years.

Have you chosen to 'not' see it so much of late? Maybe there is a very big difference between the original and the published.. but I thought it was used a lot :/
    In the first book, the captain of their team(a pretty big character) is supposed to be a chap repeating his Leaving Cert for the 4th or 5th time just to win the cup(people do actually do this, maybe not 4 or 5 times though). However, in pretty much every book for the last while, that character has been erased from history. Instead its said that Ross captained the team which he definately didn't in the first book. There are plenty of other things but I don't want to go on and on.
    But the story is portrayed by O'Carroll himself, maybe the repeater didn't do the year four or five times (an exaggeration, thats a given) but if you look at his comments about how seriously he took school in general - the whole idea of school interfering with his rugby (his view point) was laughable. It may as well have been a 20th year repeat from his perspective. You have to take it with a pinch of salt tbh.

I'm not begrudging him making top money, what annoys me is that his interviews are always the exact same.
    I don't think I would do anything differently. Even a 'tone' someone didn't like could cause a fuss. And that is exactly what sensationalists want, to create a divide.
    The black GTI with alloys is completely stereotyped in the books and by Howard in interviews, just annoys me.

Why though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

girlfriend hates me for about 2 weeks after each book is read, cos i become the Rock himself. Its just so hard to drop thinking in the accent after a good read! ledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Abigayle wrote: »
    Have you chosen to 'not' see it so much of late? Maybe there is a very big difference between the original and the published.. but I thought it was used a lot :/

Eh I said i'm glad he ditched it after a couple of years. I know its changed, i've read every book. I enjoy the books, i'm just making the point.

But the story is portrayed by O'Carroll himself, maybe the repeater didn't do the year four or five times (an exaggeration, thats a given) but if you look at his comments about how seriously he took school in general - the whole idea of school interfering with his rugby (his view point) was laughable. It may as well have been a 20th year repeat from his perspective. You have to take it with a pinch of salt tbh.

Eh thats not the point. A character, I just looked it up by the name of 'Simon'(captain of their team) has been erased from history in the later books. In fact in the new one it says 'Oisin' captained one year because they wanted Ross to concentrate on being a 'star' but then captained them in his repeat year in 99(they lost then they all repeated to win it). Could you imagine any other serial book just ditching a character later on for no apparent reason, completely making the original story incorrect henceforth?

There are several occasions when Howard has done this, again i'm not arsed elaborating on them all.

I don't think I would do anything differently. Even a 'tone' someone didn't like could cause a fuss. And that is exactly what sensationalists want, to create a divide.

What are you on about sensationalists. I'm talking about him basically repeating the same interview for 10 years now. He always says''you wouldn't believe the stuff they come up with'', ''you cant knock the Rock'' ect ect, Nobody makes a fuss out of what he writes about or the stereotypes, my problem is he promotes the stereotype not the book. When an author is interviewed they usually say a little about what its about and what the characters are upto. You don't see Jk Rowling saying in every interview-'you see they go for a school for witches and wizards, Harry is a and Ron is b'. They don't just regurgatate the same thing over and over again ad nausium. An author is supposed to say something, anything actually related to the release. Instead of going ''Well Ross faces a challenge in this book'' or something like that he just says in interview the words 'roysh, scores birds and goes to lillys' and expects laughs and book sales.

Why though?

It would be like a person going ''look at that fat bastard over there'', when in fact they too need to shed a good few pounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i prefer he doesnt give storyline away.

just cos its something the D4s drive doesnt mean others cant drive it, the arguement sounds liek the type who dont like rugby because its followed by d4 heads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

dod wrote: »
    Having read the episode in yesterdays Tribune, I think he's losing his edge. Him and the Simpsons- they're just getting tired and predictable, trotting out the same old muck dresssed up in different scenarios. It's not being kept fresh and it no longer amuses me the way it once did.

'twas funny when it lasted though.

Wow, that was posted in 2004 and it is still dragging on

Eh I said i'm glad he ditched it after a couple of years. I know its changed, i've read every book. I enjoy the books, i'm just making the point. Eh thats not the point. A character, I just looked it up by the name of 'Simon'(captain of their team) has been erased from history in the later books. In fact in the new one it says 'Oisin' captained one year because they wanted Ross to concentrate on being a 'star' but then captained them in his repeat year in 99(they lost then they all repeated to win it). Could you imagine any other serial book just ditching a character later on for no apparent reason, completely making the original story incorrect henceforth?
    Well your "eh eh's" are telling me you are getting a little defensive about it. Its not what I'm trying to do, obviously I'm a fan. But its no more than a debate.
    There are several occasions when Howard has done this, again i'm not arsed elaborating on them all.
    Well thats fine too, at this hour I'm not exactly going to try either.
    What are you on about sensationalists. I'm talking about him basically repeating the same interview for 10 years now. He always says''you wouldn't believe the stuff they come up with'', ''you cant knock the Rock'' ect ect, Nobody makes a fuss out of what he writes about or the stereotypes, my problem is he promotes the stereotype not the book.
    Ok. I'm not being petty, this is more about me than it is you.. I'm a stickler for this shit.. it's "etc." which is derived from "Et (and) Cetera (the rest)".
    When an author is interviewed they usually say a little about what its about and what the characters are upto. You don't see Jk Rowling saying in every interview-'you see they go for a school for witches and wizards, Harry is a and Ron is b'. They don't just regurgatate the same thing over and over again ad nausium.
    I dont know how you can compare the two, really.
    An author is supposed to say something, anything actually related to the release. Instead of going ''Well Ross faces a challenge in this book'' or something like that he just says in interview the words 'roysh, scores birds and goes to lillys' and expects laughs and book sales.
    Well this could be a new take for him, maybe he should put more emphasis on new readers, because from what you've just written, I get it as a fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Give me Roddy Doyle over this sh!te any day of the week.

Well your "eh eh's" are telling me you are getting a little defensive about it. Its not what I'm trying to do, obviously I'm a fan. But its no more than a debate.

Well thats fine too, at this hour I'm not exactly going to try either.

Ok. I'm not being petty, this is more about me than it is you.. I'm a stickler for this shit.. it's "etc." which is derived from "Et (and) Cetera (the rest)".

I dont know how you can compare the two, really.

Well this could be a new take for him, maybe he should put more emphasis on new readers, because from what you've just written, I get it as a fan.

1) you clearly don't have the foggiest what i'm on about re:Simon just dissapearing. You obviousely never read the original version of the book, just the recent re-edited one. No biggy, but it is without a doubt the most stupid thing I've ever read in a series of books i.e. a character just dissapearing.

2)Picking holes in my grammer to avoid answering my points is not what this forum is for. I don't care about my grammar or spelling on the internet, I don't use text speak. That is good enough for here. If it was really 'just about you' and not me then stop quoting my posts to make Nazi like corrections please.:pac:

3) Yes you can. Harry Potter is a series of books about the same characters revolving around the same world.

4)You obviousely love ROCK so much that you won't even critique it slighlty. I don't have a problem with that, I like the books too. However, there are numerous flaws to the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Find him sad because its sooooooooooooo true.

I have often quoted his Ryanair joke. "Bring your own engine"

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Believe me.. I don't want to go there.. but if you want to it is fine by me..
    1) you clearly don't have the foggiest what i'm on about re:Simon just dissapearing. You obviousely never read the original version of the book, just the recent re-edited one. No biggy, but it is without a doubt the most stupid thing I've ever read in a series of books i.e. a character just dissapearing.
    Oh I know who Simon is. :)
    2)Picking holes in my grammer to avoid answering my points is not what this forum is for. I don't care about my grammar or spelling on the internet, I don't use text speak. That is good enough for here. If it was really 'just about you' and not me then stop quoting my posts to make Nazi like corrections please.:pac:
    As a student of the subject, I'd expect you to know the difference between spelling and grammar.
    3) Yes you can. Harry Potter is a series of books about the same characters revolving around the same world.
    Now that, you will have to explain to hold any credibility for the comment. I say that because I, personally am intrigued as to what you have to say on the matter.
    4)You obviousely love ROCK so much that you won't even critique it slighlty. I don't have a problem with that, I like the books too. However, there are numerous flaws to the books.

Now, you are starting to judge. Where I'm from is completely irrelevant, as is where you are from - or anyone on here for that matter. We are talking about fiction, and an exaggeration of all attitudes to enhance the books. I just think that you are taking it all far too seriously.

K-9 wrote: »
    Find him sad because its sooooooooooooo true.

I have often quoted his Ryanair joke. "Bring your own engine"

I just posted something with at least a half decent point in there somewhere.. then you had to go and fcuk me up with that.. Lmfao :D

As a student of the subject, I'd expect you to know the difference between spelling and grammar.

Huh, did you just Godwin Grammar this thread?

:eek::o

Suppose it is a Zombie one so all bets are off.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Believe me.. I don't want to go there.. but if you want to it is fine by me..

Oh I know who Simon is. :)

Now that, you will have to explain to hold any credibility for the comment. I say that because I, personally am intrigued as to what you have to say on the matter.

Now, you are starting to judge. Where I'm from is completely irrelevant, as is where you are from - or anyone on here for that matter. We are talking about fiction, and an exaggeration of all attitudes to enhance the books. I just think that you are taking it all far too seriously.

1)You know who Simon is. Therefore can you not see a ridiculous flaw in the books?

2)God your annoying. I bet you just laughed at my last sentance. A laugh of self congratulation, well done, really well done. I couldn't care less about your pedantic crusade through my posts just to avoid replying to them properly.

3)What the ****, I never said anything about where you are from?

4)I'm not arsed anymore.

I do think a lot of his early stuff which would have been D4 Stuff did start applying to most places in Ireland. Whether ROS knew that, I'm not too sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

1)You know who Simon is. Therefore can you not see a ridiculous flaw in the books?
    Not in the way you seem to, no.
    2)God your annoying.
    Sorry, that just needed it's own quote :o Not intentional, I like to debate an issue, calling someone annoying is the talk of someone not entirely comfortable with the oppositions points.
    I bet you just laughed at my last sentance. A laugh of self congratulation, well done, really well done. I couldn't care less about your pedantic crusade through my posts just to avoid replying to them properly.
    No, because I'm not 10. I've no idea where you get the idea from.I'm not on any pedantic crusade, I've apologised for pointing these things out to you, only I found them a little distracting.
    3)What the ****, I never said anything about where you are from?
    4)I'm not arsed anymore.

Say it like you mean it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,968 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

You need to relax.

It's the RO'CK series of books, not something that's meant to be taking serious like all that Dan Brown crap. They're a laugh. And a bloody good one too.

You come across as the Comic Book Store Guy.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Love the books, but I think they are getting just a little less funny each time. Although in fairness the first few had me in pain with tears running down my face from laughing so hard, so it could only happen.

Strangely enough they are the only series of books I have had people randomly come up to me on the tube in London and say how much they loved them. :confused:

Speaking of Ryanair, this one always cracks me up
    We both check out these two air hostesses who walk in, not Ryanair, decent-looking ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GhostfaceKillah

Simon didn't disappear. In "the curious incident of the dog and the nightdress", we are told that Simon actually went on a rugby scholarship to a university in the states

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I've never read the books but judging by the latter half of this thread they seem to be very serious stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Even more annoying than his crappy books are the people who try to do impressions of him in threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭I'lllearnye

I love the book where Sorcha and Ross write out their 'top 5' lists of celebrities they'd sleep with if they got the chance. Unfortunately, Ross goes into the task clutching the wrong end of the stick (and maybe more, har de har har) and shows Sorcha his 'top 5' list of Sorcha's friends :pac::p:D:pac:.

And the bullsh*t he gets away with....absolutely brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've just jumped in at the end of this thread but are people actually debating characters going missing from the books and trying to one-up each other saying "You've obviously not read the original version yada yada yada" in relation to Ross O'Carroll Kelly books?

Seriously?

They barely even count as books, how can anyone get all hot-headed about them is totally beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GhostfaceKillah

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I've just jumped in at the end of this thread but are people actually debating characters going missing from the books and trying to one-up each other saying "You've obviously not read the original version yada yada yada" in relation to Ross O'Carroll Kelly books?

Seriously?

They barely even count as books, how can anyone get all hot-headed about them is totally beyond me.

I'm sure you've read them all then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Has anyone read the latest book? "We need to talk about Ross?" It's Paul Howard interviewing Ross and his family and friends in an attempt to find out more about the "real" Ross. The book is really funny, but the stuff you find out about it kinda ruins the other books :confused: Without giving away too much, it makes most of the stuff in the other books lies.

I think he should have laid Ross to bed with this book, it would have been a good way to end it all (finding out that Ross IS actually a good person, etc) but he's releasing another book later in the year. Glad to be getting another installment, but it won't be the same after reading this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭annabellee77

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Seriously?

Spot on that.

I would literally read anything.... and friends of mine raved about these when they came out and gave me a couple to read. I lasted about a chapter......awful crap IMO. Didn't find them remotely funny, just irritated the hell outta me!!

They are very popular though.

I'm sure you've read them all then?

I've read some of the newspaper columns. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but they make up the bulk of the books, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can't stand the books personally.. I read the first one and found it to be vomit inducing stuff

As annoying as actualy spending time with such a douche as O'Carroll Kelly, I'd expect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Can't stand the books personally.. I read the first one and found it to be vomit inducing stuff

As annoying as actualy spending time with such a douche as O'Carroll Kelly, I'd expect

+1
    You just can't stop talking sense can ya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭I'lllearnye

Ah why don't you all give each other a 'high five' and be done with it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

You're supposed to find him annoying. He's supposed to be everything that was wrong with Celtic Tiger Ireland.

The last book has completely changed how you will see him, though. Very interested to see how the next book will continue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

You're supposed to find him annoying. He's supposed to be everything that was wrong with Celtic Tiger Ireland.

Much like Gerry Ryan so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Has anyone read the latest book? "We need to talk about Ross?" It's Paul Howard interviewing Ross and his family and friends in an attempt to find out more about the "real" Ross. The book is really funny, but the stuff you find out about it kinda ruins the other books :confused: Without giving away too much, it makes most of the stuff in the other books lies.

I think he should have laid Ross to bed with this book, it would have been a good way to end it all (finding out that Ross IS actually a good person, etc) but he's releasing another book later in the year. Glad to be getting another installment, but it won't be the same after reading this one!

I liked the latest book. It fleshes out a lot of the characters, and makes them more three dimensional, rather than the simple stereotypes, most of them started out as.

I don't know why people have such an intense dislike for these books. I don't know any other book or series of books, that provokes such a reaction. If you don't like them don't read them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Blisterman wrote: »
    I liked the latest book. It fleshes out a lot of the characters, and makes them more three dimensional, rather than the simple stereotypes, most of them started out as.

I don't know why people have such an intense dislike for these books. I don't know any other book or series of books, that provokes such a reaction. If you don't like them don't read them.

Cos it's not "intellectual" enough, and stuff.

Can't be reading ROCK when you could be pretending to have read Ullyses or some such. :P

• Advertisement

If you don't like them don't read them.

I don't. Go me! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

If you don't like them don't read them.
    I can't stand this argument; why should it be beyond criticism?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dr. Shredder

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I can't stand this argument; why should it be beyond criticism?
    It's not like you have to read it, you can say what you dont like about it. Don't moan and complain like the world is going to end it's just stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dr. Shredder

I think the books are good. I've just finished "Rhino what you did last summer" and am reading "lets talk about ross" rhino what you did last summer is hilarious with the cofee incident with honour, classic! "Lets talk about ross" is great! it really teaches you about his past, and also gives ross's story from different perspectives but I find that the Charles and fionualla chapters really drag on and get boring, you start to miss the comical characters such as Ronan, Ross, Erica all those funny exagerated stereotypical characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭madonna123

RO'CK is a focking ledg...

Cant believe some people out there dont find him super entertaining..

Last book was totally OMG.. brilliant..

Ross, his mother, his wife and her lover.. can't wait tilll it hits Irish screens..

If you find Ross offensive you have odviously been rejected by him in Lillys at some stage!!!

(joke.. read the book)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

The last book has completely changed how you will see him, though. Very interested to see how the next book will continue.

I think where the whole thing is (predictably) going is that he's going to turn into his dad.

I like the newer books because they've started to develop characters properly but I do feel the first 3/4 were considerably funnier. At this stage they've kinda lost the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭piby

Also Ross is an absolute FockingBeastJockHeroLegendDudePlayer roysh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Anyone know where i can get the latest book for a good price?

I remember Tesco had an offer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Will they bring out more books in the future like, because the first 2 books were the only good ones , they rest are crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

It was good up until he had his stupid daughter imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

As half of the birds(excluding the munters and Rockfords who I wouldnt touch with yours) in South Dublin would say, there's a little bit of ROk in all of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Brilliant books. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Holy zombie thread lock Ross

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement