Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Gamestop making its mark already??

Options
  • 15-03-2004 8:19pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, this is all rumour at the moment, so dont quote me on it... but a friend of mine has told me that Game Grafton St is closing up as it cant pay the lease anymore...

The thing is, it could be a lie, maybe Im just being wound up, but I'll try and find out for sure asap.

If it is true then its a big kick in the metaphorical nuts for Game, as grafton st is supposed to be the HQ for Ireland... (on paper anyway).

btw, i used to work there, and the guy who told me still does, as I said, I'll be back once i get more info...

Flogen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

That's fairly odd, I always thought that that specific GAME store was the most viable Irish branch, but the fact that another GAME store is just around the corner may consolidate in the closing up.

While the Dawsons St. store is much nicer (quieter and spacious) compared to the one on Grafton St., it would be a bummer to see them go, was nice to have that little bit of variety only two minutes away from each other.

Honestly though, I doubt this has little to do with Gamestop, who I don't consider as great as I thought initially. Even though all three consoles have reached their peak, the prices at GAME have definetly improved since this competition showed up, hopefully they will be able to keep these prices up when the next generation of consoles arrive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

from what i now understand, it is to do with the lease being bumped up.

It would be odd if it was competition, given the nearest gamestop is liffey st and henry st (which would effect GAME henry st more, obviously). but it looks like its something out of the competitions hands too..... but perhaps Gamestop will give a nice big slap in the face and move in to their old slot....:D

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

GAME just opened a 2 story shop in galway city center, so i think its the lease being so expensive, and not GAME in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by flogen
    it is to do with the lease being bumped up.
    Not suprising they can't afford to stay then. Grafton Street was already the 10th most expensive retail location in world.

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Grafton Street was already the 10th most expensive retail location in world.

:eek:

That's something new to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Was pretty suprised myself. Average rent per square metre is €2,304

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2003/11/23/story482179715.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

on the bright side that means a closing down sale. so all the crap in the back that has built up over the years will have to be shifted. just think off all the retro consoles and games that could be waiting there.

losing the grafton street store could be a big loss since it is such a good location even if it is a little cramped. the dawson street one may be bigger and have that really attractive red haired girl working there but it never could get a similar amount of random punters dropping in and maybe buying stuff as the grafton st. one would.

Dont count on it... any worthwhile stock there will be moved to another store, and the only retro console i found in my time there was an amiga 1200 which hadnt any cables...
    have that really attractive red haired girl working there

LOL.... thats a made of mine.... Im tellin'!!!!!!

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    on the bright side that means a closing down sale. so all the crap in the back that has built up over the years will have to be shifted. just think off all the retro consoles and games that could be waiting there.

Come on Atari Jaguar...

I am happy to see it closing actually. Made no sence to have two stores within 3 minute walk of each other. Also its always nice to see a Game closing. Maybe they might reduce their prices now with that overhead gone?

Gamestop I think need to get a store close enough to Grafton Street I think. Maybe somewhere in Stephens Green center or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Len_007

I would of prefered the Dawson one to go. I know physically its a better store, but your one in there who manages the place is a Wagon. They guy's on grafton st were much more acomadating, I found.

• Advertisement

'yer one' is gone... she was a little battle axe troll of a bitch... but shes gone...

The main manager in Grafton st is an asswipe... believe me... although he might have been nice to you people.... you possess the almighty dollar...

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

I had an interview for Henry st once with some northy woman. She didnt give me the job. I didnt get it. Im bitter. :(

kinda bogg eyed girl?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by Deadwing
    I had an interview for Henry st once with some northy woman. She didnt give me the job. I didnt get it. Im bitter. :(
    She's my boss in Tallaght now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Well tell her im still bitter!! and im boycotting game because of it!! Oh yeah..im stickin it to the man!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    even if it is a little cramped

wonder why they closed the upstairs part they used to have a few years back, perhaps that was to cut down on the lease also?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Was in there today inquiring after BF: Vietnam.
    The 15 year old behind the counter told me it wouldn't be in stock for 2 weeks. Whereas everywhere else had big promotional posters, preview boxes on display etc... for its release tomorrow.

Bad show.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I've always found GAME to be overpriced and poor staff-wise.

Me: "Can you recommend anything for the GBA?"
    Him: "Erm.... [long pause] ... no I can't"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Originally posted by rainbow kirby
    She's my boss in Tallaght now!

She's a snotty cow, really rude and abrupt with customers. The security guard working there is sound though - really knows his stuff when it comes to games too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the trick is know what you want before you go in. no fannying about(unless its that one in dawson street :D), a surgical strike so to speak :)

in all fairness game are not nearly as bad as they were this time last year. while everywhere else raised their prices game have been pretty much static. plus that 10% off in the first week was a good idea.

• Advertisement

wonder why they closed the upstairs part they used to have a few years back, perhaps that was to cut down on the lease also?

actually, that was something we never found out... but i doubt it was the lease, cos it was used as a stock room afterwards... maybe it was a staff cut back or something...
    I've always found GAME to be overpriced and poor staff-wise.

Me: "Can you recommend anything for the GBA?"
    Him: "Erm.... [long pause] ... no I can't"

and I will admit that during my time there (grafton) GBA was the one i knew least about, saying that i did my best to help (and from what ive seen of the staff that have come in since i left last year, I dont think they can spell GBA, let alone recommend a game for one, although thats unfair, because Ive never really dealt with any of them)

DiscoStu, you old dawg

Flogen

It's such a stark contrast. Over in the US the staff in Gamestop actually KNOW their gaming. In fact they live by it. Of course, you would have differ in opinions but they're not completely oblivious to, for example, the GBA section, and do play far beyond the commercial dulge that only the people working at Gamestop Ireland (and more) would have a good opinion about.

I have decided that when I finish my education I am going to open up my own video game store. It shall be that something different that we really need here and will have trained staff. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mushy peas: 60 cent
    games: 60 euro

therein lies my reason for asking. Plus, by working there you'd know what games sell well and what doesn't, so he could draw from his experience. Also - there aren't thousands of products to know. You maybe know 5 or 6 of the most current titles on each platform, what's being hyped, what advertising you put in the window - I wasn't asking for an in depth review of the GBAs back catalogue, nor would I expect it.

when i worked there the games I knew alot about were:
    the ones being hyped,
    the ones i wanted to buy,
    the ones that i knew were crap
    that covered alot of titles, but as smiaras said, there are thousands to remember. A sales staff could tell you that a game is selling well, and just like a review, it doesnt meant its good. Tomb Raider sold well.... it still sucked.
    Also, I am proud to say that despite being pushed by my manager, I never once gave intentionally bad advice. If someone came to me with a bad game and asked me about it, i wouldnt lie to them for the sake of a sale (its stupid to do that IMO, you just lose customer respect, and theyll bring it back anyway). Im sure i recommended a few titles that were crap, but i didnt know it at the time and went on the best information i had, which may have been a review or something like that

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

:D my favorite customers/phone calls involved people asking me how to complete level 3 of something or other....

BUY THE GOD DAMN WALKTHROUGH, OR BETTER STILL, GO ON THE NET!!!!

Flogen

Originally posted by super_furry
    She's a snotty cow, really rude and abrupt with customers. The security guard working there is sound though - really knows his stuff when it comes to games too.

He'd sell his soul to get his hands on a crystal xbox... we got them in but cant sell them till next friday. he annoys me because he bashes GC to all the customers.
    my favorite customers/phone calls involved people asking me how to complete level 3 of something or other....
    Had to explain how to beat thardus in metroid prime to someone last sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seeing as your here Kirby, how has the opening of Xtra-Games affected you lot? They seem to be much cheaper on pretty much everything - especially pre-owned stuff.

• Advertisement

Hasnt been that much of a hit, havent sold many GCs lately because theyre killing us on the deal. its funny this week though. they have a poster with 'get 007 EoN for €5 when you trade in titles', our one says 'get 007 EoN for €29.99 when you trade in titles'. Weve been complaining to our regional manager about this, but he doesnt seem to care if we get creamed by our closest local competitors. useless information: the manager and assistant manager both used to work in game in the square.

Advertisement