Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Gamestop making its mark already??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Originally posted by super_furry
    Seeing as your here Kirby, how has the opening of Xtra-Games affected you lot? They seem to be much cheaper on pretty much everything - especially pre-owned stuff.

I heard from a guy who sets up most of the xtra-game stores that they are hammering GAME in tallaght. And that they stole managers from GAME to work in Xtra-game.

The Xtra-Game in blanch seems to be doing well. But the GAME out in blanch never seems that busy compared to other stores except at christmas.

Plus has anyone priced how much Xtra-Game give for trade-ins?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

hehehehe....
    'yer one' is gone... she was a little battle axe troll of a bitch... but shes gone...

she is one of the ones that went to Xtra-Game.....

I heard from a guy who sets up most of the xtra-game stores that they are hammering GAME in tallaght. And that they stole managers from GAME to work in Xtra-game.

Just wondering how he knows how Game are doing in Tallaght? I think there may be a little bias there....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by clownboy
    Plus has anyone priced how much Xtra-Game give for trade-ins?
    Think they're higher than game. Some kid went to trade in 2 GC games, i could only give €12 total (one was cel damage, the other wrestlemania x8), apparently XG offered €32!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

what are the perks of working there kirby?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

Except the ones who ask inane questions to prove they know more than you do about products you couldn't care less about....:rolleyes:

In all the time I worked in game shops I could never figure why so many geeks have this inferiority complex about people who work in a shop..so much so that they need to prove their superior knowledge / skills to someone who works 10 hours a week for drinking money and really, honestly, absolutely, does not care.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

yeah... cant beat the specs geeks..

"erm, this is isnt working on my computer"
    "oh, right, are you sure your PC met the min. requirements?"
    "<snorty chuckle> please, Im running a CPU of over 12 million gigapoints with a HDFSA of next to 5 infinium chips.... i THINK it meets the requirements <snorty chuckle to self>"
    "NERD!!!!!!"

then you get the ones who ask you if the game will run on their PC, just so you ask them about their PC, just so they can show off their specs....
    on the flipside, theres the PC-illiterates who ask if a game will work, you ask them what theyve got in their PC and they say 'erm.... its got windows'.....

Flogen

And then there's those in the middle who just go in and get what they want.

And then there's those in the middle who just go in and get what they want.

god bless 'em..... its surprising just how much of a rare breed they are.

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Originally posted by flogen
    god bless 'em..... its surprising just how much of a rare breed they are.

Flogen

I'm one of them. I don't wanna talk to the GAME staff. Not that i think i'm better then them. i just want to grab what i want, pay and leave.

your a legend among men clownboy..
    Im not game staff anymore btw, but when i was there was nothing more annoying than people who chatted to me during peak shopping hours. Im not being rude, i dont mind chatting, but when theres a queue of 5 or more pissed of people waiting, its not a good idea... i wouldnt mind if it was to do with a game/game problem, but the amount of gaming anidotes you hear are unreal!!!!!

Flogen

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    what are the perks of working there kirby?
    30% discount on new games, 25% discount on accesories, 10% off hardware, preowned double trade-in less 25%.

wow, 30% that's cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes I must say the northy (or she may be even Scottish) in GAme in Tallaght is a miserable auld cow. Xtra game were selling Super mario circuit for gba new for €30 and GAME had it secondhand for €40!! No way would she reduce the price. Said they would match the price new but they didn't have the game new!!! d'oh!!!

'yer wan' in Dawson Street used to frighten me

If you'd been talking to me id have given it to you for €25!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by rainbow kirby
    Think they're higher than game. Some kid went to trade in 2 GC games, i could only give €12 total (one was cel damage, the other wrestlemania x8), apparently XG offered €32!
    i went in to game in galway yesterday to sell my mint condition copy of pn03 for the gc.
    SIX FUCKING EURO???!?!?!?!?!
    told them where to stick their €6 & ran off to gamestop, who gave me €15... (or €17 credit, plus €10 off another game. i needed the cash though:( )
    game have lost a customer with me anyway.

ah...
    i'd had a look around & hadn't seen any new gc games for under €50, or even preowned games for that price.
    nice to know that they're beating play.com for a newish game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Originally posted by smiaras
    EDIT the only thing that sux about being a GC owner is Soul Calibur is 45 but its 30 on the other two formats

I saw Game on Dawson Street had this secondhand for Xbox for €20...bit of a steal...(for a change!!)

What annoys me about Game regarding s/h GBA games is that they charge only a fiver less than buying a game new. what's the point of that when the s/h box is probably dog-eared and broken!! (me likes to keep boxes pristine)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's where Xtra-Games are slaughtering GAME. They're charging just €30 to €35 for the latest second hand games, while GAME charge €49.99. They also seem to be offering better trade in prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Any plans to extend this Xtra Game branch? I am very much intrigued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

yeah they seem to be doing well in galway pity about their selection of pc games though :(
    game is better for pc methinks

either way both of them are welcome in galway!

Smyths has a good selection of PC games and better prices compared to GAME... I remember one being in Galway.

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    Smyths has a good selection of PC games and better prices compared to GAME... I remember one being in Galway.
    yep, out by the cinema...
    was in there yesterday, silent hill 3 for €20:eek:
    smyths & game seem to be the only 2 worth checking out as far as pc games are concerned

Advertisement