Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new private forum

Options
  • 15-03-2004 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

I am requesting a private forum called The Boards Elders

the purpose will be for selected members of boards.ie to become members of the Elders council. These members will be a form of independent watchdog for the site that will monitor Mods and regular users.
    Anyone with an issue (such as an abuse by a mod) can come to the council, who will then discuss the topic and depending on the majority decision, will act upon it by alerting Admins to the issue, voicing their views to the accused or perhaps organising a boycott of the abusing board and mod.

We will not get involved in issues regarding Admins, just mods. We will not get involved in personal disputes (for example if a mod insults a user, we will not act, the injustice must occour within the moderators forum).
    We will also hear from people who are concerned about a certain user, who may be spamming or being generally offensive. If we feel the user is doing so, we will alert mods, admins and the user him/herself about the issue.
    If a mod/user is a council member, they will be warned to cease, if they refuse they will be banned from council decisions and black listed.

Basically we will form a democratic and independent complains commission using people power to voice our opinions.

I wish to be mod.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I think not.

Please stop PMing people unsolicited too, it's not like I don't know who your regular account is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by TheElder
    Basically we will form a democratic and independent complains commission using people power to voice our opinions.
    Why would it be private? Surely to be a democratic and independent voice you need to be completely transparent. Who will police the police etc....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by seamus
    Why would it be private? Surely to be a democratic and independent voice you need to be completely transparent. Who will police the police etc....?

Becase Brother Novice, the Supreme Grand Master must first pick his alcolytes, like Brother Doorkeep, Brother Watchtower, Brother Fingers and Brother Keymaster.
    the knock is "a shave and a haircut" and the password is swordfish!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I am requesting a private forum called The Boards Elders

the purpose will be for selected members of boards.ie to become members of the Elders council. These members will be a form of independent watchdog for the site that will monitor Mods and regular users.
    Anyone with an issue (such as an abuse by a mod) can come to the council, who will then discuss the topic and depending on the majority decision, will act upon it by alerting Admins to the issue, voicing their views to the accused or perhaps organising a boycott of the abusing board and mod.

We will not get involved in issues regarding Admins, just mods. We will not get involved in personal disputes (for example if a mod insults a user, we will not act, the injustice must occour within the moderators forum).
    We will also hear from people who are concerned about a certain user, who may be spamming or being generally offensive. If we feel the user is doing so, we will alert mods, admins and the user him/herself about the issue.
    If a mod/user is a council member, they will be warned to cease, if they refuse they will be banned from council decisions and black listed.

I wish to be mod.

You're stupid

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

I think it is a good theory. But perhaps it would be a good idea for a more regular/experianced member of boards to do.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by jesjes
    I think it is a good theory. But perhaps it would be a good idea for a more regular/experianced member of boards to do.
    Not a chance. Cries of "click" and "abuse of power" are rampant enough as it is. This would just be one more group for the usual suspects to be delusional about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 TheElder

The forum will be open to anyone, mod, admin or user.

Not only will we make decisions concerning misbehaving mods, but we will also discuss the merits of new forums and air our views on such, and also propose a list of forums the Council feels is in need of deletion.

We will act as an advisory body to the Admins, and will speak as one in opposition to injustices and wrong-doing.

anyone who wishes to become a Council member can PM me or e-mail me at the below address to apply.

also, seamus, the idea is to consolidate the views of many into the one body, The Council. This will mean that those opposed to bannings etc can be given a voice with anyone else who feels the same..thus cutting back on repetitive posts

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Seamus, I know what you mean, but if it is to be as open as TheElder proposes maybe it wouldnt be soo bad...

So it's not private then?
    also, seamus, the idea is to consolidate the views of many into the one body, The Council. This will mean that those opposed to bannings etc can be given a voice with anyone else who feels the same..thus cutting back on repetitive posts
    How will the many decide who gets on the council? How often will elections take place? Have you a draft constitution in place? Without a constitution there is no way of removing an elected council from power.
    If someone is banned and complains about it, will the council instantly take their side regardless of the reason?

Boards works as a benevolent dictating council tbh, and this seems like nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to execute a coup and force democracy on those who don't desire it....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Wouldn't this just be an extra layer between the already functioning Boards justice system and the masses?

You're going to take people's complaints and 'advise' the Admins on what to do? What do you think the Feedback / Suggestions forum is for? As far as I can see, it is an existing method for people to bring grievances forward to have them debated by the parties involved.

Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I am requesting a private forum called The Boards Elders.
    Leave him alone. He doesn't know what he wants, either :D

The Councils Public Representitive shall now answer your questions, Seamus:
    So it's not private then?

the forum will be private, however any user who makes an application to the Council will be given access to the forum. Those who do not, will not.
    How will the many decide who gets on the council?

See Above

How often will elections take place?

I do not understand your need for elections. All applicants will be accepted. All Council members will have an equal vote on decisions of the council.
    Have you a draft constitution in place?

Existing elders are currently working on a draft constitution. This shall be made public once it is completed. However, it will simply be a more detail explanation of the above posts we have made.
    Without a constitution there is no way of removing an elected council from power.

As has been stated, all applicants shall be made council members. However, any member who disobeys the rules will be punished as is fit. This may range from a warning to a banning from the Forum and a blacklisting from the council. It is up to a majority vote by the council to vote on the expulsion of a member.
    If someone is banned and complains about it, will the council instantly take their side regardless of the reason?

No. The Council will discuss all complaints and vote on action. It may be decided that the council takes the side of the Mod, or they may take the side of the banned user. It depends on the merits and reasons for each individual banning.
    Boards works as a benevolent dictating council tbh, and this seems like nothing more than a thinly veiled attempt to execute a coup and force democracy on those who don't desire it....

We members of the Council understand the workings of boards.ie. We make no claim to unfairness at the hands of the Admins. This is their creation and they have a right to rule it as they choose. However, we do feel that the mods of the forums are not as fair as the admins. We are not trying to overrun any overall power here, merely making the lower rungs of boards.ie more acceptable, equal and fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I think it sounds great:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Boards is not a democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Originally posted by mr_angry
    Wouldn't this just be an extra layer between the already functioning Boards justice system and the masses?

You're going to take people's complaints and 'advise' the Admins on what to do? What do you think the Feedback / Suggestions forum is for? As far as I can see, it is an existing method for people to bring grievances forward to have them debated by the parties involved.

Madness.

I was thinking the same thing, just Feedback/Suggestions behind a semi closed door.
    But at least with the voting a genuine end can be brought to matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by yellum
    Boards is not a democracy.

A self-evident truth but one that requires constant repeating!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Jesus, it's only a set of message boards :dunno:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Is this guy on drugs ?? , or what ??

Buy a bloody island and then you can rule it happily all on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Bad forum idea, but some sort of system to get around stupid biased mod's should be in order...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 adeldorf

thats a pretty good idea alright, give peeps a chance to get some support if a mod is acting up, as can happen. and it will be a bit of a fun way to show DeV and the lads how the people feel about things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

if u did become a mod then in turn u would be one of " them "

all else fails mod me and ill be so corrupted its unreal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Verdammt

Originally posted by adeldorf
    thats a pretty good idea alright, give peeps a chance to get some support if a mod is acting up, as can happen. and it will be a bit of a fun way to show DeV and the lads how the people feel about things

For someone with just 1 post under your belt you seem to really know your way around, how strange !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 adeldorf

i had an old nick from way back when, but i aint used it in ages and forgot my nick, had to re-register

We appreciate your concern elexes, however as a mod TheElder will do what is possible to ensure equality among all within the Elders forum. As has been stated, it is up to a majority vote by Council Members to ban a user from the council... not just one mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

for example if a mod insults a user, we will not act, the injustice must occour within the moderators forum
    Someone been nasty to you on the mod forum then?

Someone been nasty to you on the mod forum then?

We do not understand your point.

This rule is for this reason. We find no need to act with a personal argument. If, for example, a sports forum mod insults a user in a Technology Forum, there is no abuse of mod power. The sports mod is simply another user in another forum. However if the said mod was to pick on a user within a forum he/she moderated, the Council could consider it an abuse of power, depending on the circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

This rule is for this reason. We find no need to act with a personal argument. If, for example, a sports forum mod insults a user in a Technology Forum, there is no abuse of mod power. The sports mod is simply another user in another forum. However if the said mod was to pick on a user within a forum he/she moderated, the Council could consider it an abuse of power, depending on the circumstances.

Are "We" the Borg or something?

Really man, give it a rest, its childish, immature and I for one will be opposed to any such nonsense (and I have some interesting evidence and comments made by you to put forward if needs be).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Ah, now I understand. Better placing (or any placing) of apostrophes recommended.

In that case, there are already procedures in place to do just what you're wanting to do without the need to involve you in that process at all. Chances are that ecksor and Dev will still let this thread run until it moves from the dumb category to the surreal and annoying category though. Along the way they'll hopefully drop hints as to who (all of:D) you are. Use the phrase "benevolant oligarchy" a lot - it'll help.

• Advertisement

In that case, there are already procedures in place to do just what you're wanting to do without the need to involve you in that process at all. Chances are that ecksor and Dev will still let this thread run until it moves from the dumb category to the surreal and annoying category though. Along the way they'll hopefully drop hints as to who (all of) you are. Use the phrase "benevolant oligarchy" a lot - it'll help.

That is arguable by many people. Alot of mods have and will make unfair move and decisions against a user for personal or other unjust reasons. We the Council have, in many cases not seen anything done to the offending mods, and any complaint is ignored or results in a flamewar which serves no good.

We intend to monitor the mods and report abuses when a majority agrees.
    Really man, give it a rest, its childish, immature and I for one will be opposed to any such nonsense (and I have some interesting evidence and comments made by you to put forward if needs be).

The Elder is interested your case, syke... please continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement