Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed new private forum

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

we already have a private Mod Forum for this, where we can get helpful comments and advice on our moderation, I do not believe we require another one, thanks anyway.

but what about the regular users? dont they get a fair hearing?
    If you thought it was ok to suggest, why did you not say who you were to begin with? Why use a second account?

jesus, it was all part of the joke, ya know... the whole elders thing. I think anyone who sets up a group called the council of elders and takes it seriously should be put under supervision for their own safety. However, the idea BEHIND the name is still valid IMO, if you want I could start a new thread under this nick asking for the same thing, but i doubt that would be a good idea or useful.
    Personally I find it trolling. Its a spam suggestion. You spammed mine and other users PMs, sending unsolicited messages asking us to support your forum suggestion. You did it from both your flogen and The Elder account.

I dont see how this is a spam suggestion, nor how i trolled boards. Yes i did send unsolicited PMs, I apologise to you and anyone else upset by them, and I told ecksor that I would stop once he brought it to my attention.
    Well done flogen, in case people didn't think badly enough of you, you go and do this.

wow, i knew there were people here who Ive argued with and all, but I didnt think bystanders had noticed and formed an opinion of me... ah well... tis a shame but anyway, why cant we be friends??
    And as for the BLP, they spammed countless boards, used swasticas and wanted to end the dictatorship of boards. I posted as i should here, used no offensive symbolism, and know full well that the admins made this board and deserve to be in control of it... its the few dodgy mods Im more concerned about.
    what were you thinking man?

that maybe it was a worthwhile suggestion....

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

You do it to yourself. You do. And that's what really hurts.

EVERYBODY!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by flogen

I do not believe one would get a fairer hearing than from the Admins and Moderators

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by amp
    You do it to yourself. You do. And that's what really hurts.

EVERYBODY!

lol

Amp, everyone knows the first line is.....

"Can't get the stink off
    He's been hanging round for days "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

Why shouldnt their be "A third mod"-The people?
    I stilll cant see a decent argument against this, just a whole herd of mods running in to say...NO!

In fact Im supprised you lot have made your oposition so plain:rolleyes:

Well I'd forgotten but oh the irony. It's like Mr Yorke wrote it for him.

exactly bus77.... couldnt have put it better myself

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by syke
    So I *AM* complaining about you. Officially. Lets see if the system in place works? Shall we?
    You weren't awake at irony class were you SheroN

So was that a troll Syke?

*boggle*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by bus77
    I stilll cant see a decent argument against this, just a whole herd of mods running in to say...NO!

too many chefs spoil the broth

too many chiefs and no Indians

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think anyone who sets up a group called the council of elders and takes it seriously should be put under supervision for their own safety.

As should people who create second accounts on internet communities to post spammy troll suggestions. IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

If you have a problem with a mod then PM them, if you're not satisfied with the reponse or whatever, talk to the admins or post on feedback/suggestions. I don't see any reason for a board where people like flogen and paddy20 can bleet about how they've been hard done by all the time.

Also, what ruthie said.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Actually, there's always some bloody annoying muppets replying to those threads on the Mod board. They're always being reasonable and fair and demanding that we use logic and not have double standards, standing up for the rights of the users.

Irritating as fsck.

If it were me, I'd have drop-kicked you from the 4th floor.

Cheers,
    Al.

Originally posted by bus77

In fact Im supprised you lot have made your oposition so plain:rolleyes:

Well it's possibly that most moderators here have been here for a while and actually know how boards functions. Here's a quick diagram of the power structure on boards:

ADMINS
    |
    MODERATORS
    |
    USERS

As you can see the users answer to the moderators and everybody answers to the admins.

Each level has their own board. Users can post to either this board or Admin/Support. Mods to the mod board and the Admins to well it's hardly a suprise but yes the Admin board.

So when a user complains they can do so without any need to have a grand council run by a power hungry spammer as there is already a functioning system in place to check for mod abuse.

That decent enough?

too many chefs spoil the broth

nah... you see thats different. The mod forum would be completely different to an 'elders' forum. on the mod forum, regular users dont get a say. on this proposed forum, the user could make a complaint, then other users, admins and mods could come to an agreement on who was right and wrong, and then pass that decision onto an admin. It can be ignored, but at least the regular user has a say and gets his/her voice heard.
    Its not like Im suggesting another mod forum, THAT would be too many chefs... because they are two different things, then its more like two chefs, but in different kitchens in different buildings making completely different types of food, but perhaps meeting up afterwards for a drink and a chat...or something

Flogen

nah... you see thats different. The mod forum would be completely different to an 'elders' forum. on the mod forum, regular users dont get a say. on this proposed forum, the user could make a complaint, then other users, admins and mods could come to an agreement on who was right and wrong, and then pass that decision onto an admin. It can be ignored, but at least the regular user has a say and gets his/her voice heard.
    Its not like Im suggesting another mod forum, THAT would be too many chefs... because they are two different things, then its more like two chefs, but in different kitchens in different buildings making completely different types of food, but perhaps meeting up afterwards for a drink and a chat...or something

How is this different from posting to Feedback/Suggestions spamboy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by ecksor
    it's not like I don't know who your regular account is.

Ecksor's been watching my house.

I've seen him raving in the moonlight.

*grin*

Im suggesting

"We" no longer eh?

Can you come up to the roof with me for a minute? There's something I'd like to show you...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds like Feedback/Suggestions to me. Flogen, there's nothing magical or mystical about being a mod. You don't have to come up with any zany schemes or ill-planned-yet-still-overly-complex rules to get a board of your own.

Originally posted by amp
    It's like Mr Yorke wrote it for him.
    That's Tom to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Thom, actually :p

as i stated earlier, feedback and suggestions should be for just that, not for angry users complaining about mods, which there has been alot of recently, fair or unfair.

I think this forums should be for forum and other suggestions, and feedback on the workings of a current forum, for example if someone feels a previous forum split was a bad idea, or thinks a forum should be deleted etc etc.

all complaints could go to the elders.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by Gordon

*boggle*

I've no problem with anyone who feels what little modding I do is substandard and wants another forum to voice it. I've no problem with someone suggesting it, so long as they do it in a mature manner. I don't agree with the idea, there have been no major problems so far, but I'll cooperate fully with any that come into place.

I do have a problem, with someone PM-ing me spam, creating accounts with cloak and dagger names to specifically suggest what will, in effect be a clique of users who like to play dress up and type in a funny context.
    Suggesting a forum and used fake accounts "for a laugh" seems to just be a waste of everyones time and internet bandwidth.

I actually thought flogen got a hard time before this incident, if he hadn't of PM-d me an A4 page of tripe and if he'd posted his forum suggestion maturely with his own account then Imight still have that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

as i stated earlier, feedback and suggestions should be for just that, not for angry users complaining about mods, which there has been alot of recently, fair or unfair.

I think this forums should be for forum and other suggestions, and feedback on the workings of a current forum, for example if someone feels a previous forum split was a bad idea, or thinks a forum should be deleted etc etc.

Flogen

My God Flogen! Don't you see the irony in all of this? What are those matters, if not feedback or suggestions??? Here you are, claiming demand for a new Board (which you suggest shouldn't be on the Feedback / Suggestions board) on the Feedback / Suggestions board! Its the height of irony.

If you succeed, then clearly the Feedback / Suggestions board already works. If you fail, then people think the Feedback / Suggestions board already works. Madness. Complete madness.

I actually thought flogen got a hard time before this incident.

syke is one of the annoying feckers I mentioned previously - he's always being rational and standing up for muppets like this guy. Far too tolerant and diplomatic for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Spring lambs.

Everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Originally posted by seamus
    Sounds like Feedback/Suggestions to me. Flogen, there's nothing magical or mystical about being a mod. You don't have to come up with any zany schemes or ill-planned-yet-still-overly-complex rules to get a board of your own.
    In fairness there's enough coke and hookers going around on the mod board for twice the number of mods! heh, you all thought DeV did the Santa's Strike Force for the kids....how naïve....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Actually, I'm most inclined to act upon a grievance or complaint if it comes to me via PM or on the Admin / Support forum. It suggests that the person genuinely believes they were hard done by and shows a certain amount of good faith in that they're not out to make a big public deal out of it, which is crap that no Mod wants to be dealing with in fairness. The lack of noise actually helps do something too, although I suspect that some post on this forum to attract "popular support".

Should I merge TheElder with the others then? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Gordon

*boggle*
    I've no problem with anyone who feels what little modding I do is substandard and wants another forum to voice it. I've no problem with someone suggesting it, so long as they do it in a mature manner. I don't agree with the idea, there have been no major problems so far, but I'll cooperate fully with any that come into place.

I do have a problem, with someone PM-ing me spam, creating accounts with cloak and dagger names to specifically suggest what will, in effect be a clique of users who like to play dress up and type in a funny context.
    Suggesting a forum and used fake accounts "for a laugh" seems to just be a waste of everyones time and internet bandwidth.

I actually thought flogen got a hard time before this incident, if he hadn't of PM-d me an A4 page of tripe and if he'd posted his forum suggestion maturely with his own account then Imight still have that opinion.

Was that a yes skye?

• Advertisement

But why have a seperate forum. Currently a user can post here or post to Admin/Support or pm an admin or talk to an admin on IRC.

There is no lack of places to complain, but this isn't about your percieved lack of places to complain. You want to mod a board and you'll come up with any crazy scheme in order to achieve that.

I've got a less zany scheme so you can achieve your ambition.

1. Create a new account completely unrelated to flogen.
    2. Use that account for 1/2 years without spamming anybody and with your fight the power chip turned off.
    3. Post constructive and helpful posts.

Possibly then you will be taken a tad more seriously and not laughed out of F/S as you are being now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement