Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

acess denied to "my docments" folder

Options
  • 15-03-2004 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

so yeah i recently reinstalled xp home and then foudn out that the backups i made of my documents were corrupt. Thats was fine though cuz i found thats all of the stuff was still there in my documents and that the computer upon reinstall had made new "my documents" folder and entitled them [username].familycomp. My problem is i can't get into my old one. Before i reinstalled i had a password on my account and had it set to "protect" and make only my account be able to access my "my documents" folder, and so now it won't let me access them and i have a lot of stuff in that folder that i really need to get access too. anybody have any idea's how to access them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

lol

did the same thing myself ..pw and then did a fresh install and couldn't get into my pw'd documents.

did you try create a new user called what you were prior to the install and move the documents to that profile?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

well i'm user 'Jeff' on the comp. so i'm the same user. i even put on a password and put it the same as the old one. also the old "my documents stuff can only be found by going to c:\documentsandsettings and then into the relevant user. i just tried to move the folder into the new my documents one but it would work? any more possible solutions. i badly need them for tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

This also happened to me.
    The way I got around it was to use a knoppix boot cd then burn them using k3b.
    You will need 2 drives to do this method tho.

i only have one drive though. I have another machine though. someone on tech.ie was saying i should moved it into the machine. thats seems a bit drastic and i'm not really sure about installing it into a new machine tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

if you access the folder in knoppix couldnt you just copy the files to some other folder on the drive
    that way you would only need 1 cd drive

• Advertisement

Originally posted by tuxx
    if you access the folder in knoppix couldnt you just copy the files to some other folder on the drive
    that way you would only need 1 cd drive

That is possible once you boot into knoppix as full root and make the windows partition writeable.
    Not sure how it writes onto NTFS. I heard it was dodgy.

ok what exactly is knoppix? i went to the site and couldn't figure out how to get it, cuz all it seem to do was list a bunch of files when u click on the mirror u wanted? whats the story? is there not just an install file that u donwload?

http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V3.3-2004-02-09-EN.iso

Burn it to cd using something like nero.
    Remember not to burn it as a data cd, it's an image.
    Then reboot your pc. Are you on broadband btw its 700MB.

yeah i'm on broadband. What exactly will i be able to do with this knoppix? is it easy to use or do u need to know a whole bunch of dos type commands and the like?

would moving the hd to my other machine work and would there be anything else involved aside from taking it out and putting it into the other comp or would it get all screwed up if u did that? i'm just really desperate to get the files

I'm assuming by putting it in the machine they mean as a slave drive in which case you should* be able to browse to the files.

*not 100% sure.

Regards knoppix.
    You'd only need 2 or 3 commands.
    To make sure you're full root and to make the windows partition writeable.
    Then simply choose k3b and burn.

I'll have a dig about and try get you the commands.
    iirc to get full root on bootup type "knoppix single" with the quotation marks.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Ste-

Then simply choose k3b and burn.

he cant do this he only has 1 cd drive

no i have 2 cd drives. i just miss read the question. i thought u ment to 2hds. whats iirc and k3b?

iirc = if i remember correctly, k3b is this

so when it get this knoppix thing(in another 3hr 30mins) i burn the iso to a disk and then i run it and it boots in a sort linux type comand based setup or something. and then i go find the files that i want and burn them to a cd using the k3b thing?(do u have to use that or can u use nero or something?) so is that about right?

knoppix has a gui its easy to use
    k3b is like nero for linux

Just found something on the knoppix forums that dosn't look so good.

http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8787

yeah that doesn't really sound to good at all. i think i have them on a cd but the cd is formatted in udf and doesn't seem to let me move the files off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Forget knoppix for this - there's a much easier way.

Reboot into safe mode. Log in as administrator.

My computer => navigate to your old my documents folder. Right click on it. Select properties.

Go to the security tab. Press the advanced button

Go to the owner tab click on Administrator. Tick the Box on the bottom where it says "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects".

Wait for the permissions to be reset.

Copy files into your new folder.

Smile.

how do i boot into safe mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

When you switch on the computer and see the black screen with the bar counting up along the bottom, hit the F8 button on your computer (it actually says this above the bar). Then select Safe Mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Or, in case you miss it, as soon as the bios messages dissapear, start hitting F8 like a madman. Then select safe mode from the menu.

A really unsafe way to get into safe mode is to do a hard power off mid way through booting. You'll then get a message that windows did not load successfully, and would you like to load safe mode to fix your problem. This could damage your HDD though...

Advertisement