Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popup blockers

Options
  • 15-03-2004 10:21pm
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The missus is in a temp job that involves doing some online banking with BoI. They seem to have reorganised their site lately, and she can't get in - the BoI support guy said that she needed to configure her popup blocker to make an exception for the BoI site.

Problem is, she doesn't know what popup blocker she's using, there's no IT guy in the company, and it's 20 miles away so I can't look over her shoulder. Also, I only use FireFox on Linux, so I'm not familiar with what could be doing this on IE6/Win98.

What I'm looking for here is a brainstorming exercise: what apps could be blocking popups on IE6? How would I recognise which one is running - tray icons, whatever - that she can describe to me over the phone? And for each one, how do you configure exceptions?

If anyone who's familiar with this type of software could describe this type of thing to me, I can try a hit-and-miss exercise over the phone again tomorrow. All suggestions gratefully received - hit me with them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

The google bar for IE has a built in popup blocker. Its a bar the width of the screen just below the forward/back/homepage buttons and has 'Google' on the very left of it. There will be a button on the toolbar saying '145 blocked' or similar.. just go to whatever site shes having problems with and click this button once, that will bypass the blocker for the current site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 heals

Most pop up blockers will allow popups when the "Shift" key or "Ctrl" is pressed...try that....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Thanks for the replies - turns out it was the Altavista search bar.

Advertisement