Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meteor dial up help

Options
  • 15-03-2004 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭

AFTER NAGGING METEOR I FINALLY GOT THIS ISP INFO, CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO USE IT? Thank you for your email and your query. I can confirmt that I have spoken to my relevant colleagues in our Technical Department who have advised me of the below.

The windows addition that you need to have is one of the following
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition
    The correct version that you need for Windows 2000 is as follows
    To check this
    Co to Start
    Select Run
    Enter winver and ok
    You should have service pack 4 installed, if not you can download this from Microsoft.com.

The user name and password should be left blank
    The dial up number is *99#
    The APN / Modem initialisation String is AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ISP.MYMETEOR.IE"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

hi, would need some background info first...

BrianG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

t610, had no problem with mms and gprs but have no idea where to put such a big apn or modem initialisation string

Originally posted by griffdaddy
    t610, had no problem with mms and gprs but have no idea where to put such a big apn or modem initialisation string

hi, ok the APN element is just the isp.meteor.ie part, the rest of is called an Modem Initialisation string, which you set-up on a connecting device so that it can set up the modem in the handset for a GPRS data session

in Connectivity > Data Comm. you can set up a new Data Account with this GPRS ISP connection and use in built-in e-mail client. you can also use 3rd party apps like ReqWireless's WebViewer and HotViewer with the conenction...

BrianG

what do i put in for the rest of the fields? can i just edit my gprs or mms account?

also can i get list of the mms settings for meteor? they wont send them from mymeteor, it says sent but they never arrive on my phone. i'm trying to create a hybrid the isp settings and the mms settings cause i dont get charged for downloading by using my mms settings in the gprs setting fields. can you use conventional internet apps on your pc through bluetooth if you get this set up? ie p2p i. explorer

• Advertisement

the ISP is separate to WAP/MMS so doubt you can trick it into allowing a connection - WAP uses a Gateway to connect to the 'internet', the ISP connection is a direct connection allowing connections to your email server etc.

for the rest of the details of the isp.mymetoer.ie leave them blank / default, from the details they outlined the username/password can be blank and they don't mention DNS that looks to be assigned on connection

yes - you can connect to the internet via Bluetooth to the handset if you have the ISP connection set-up - it would depend if they have all the ports open what services you can use

you might want to weight up the cost of usage though as GPRS isn't all that cheap, especially when used with a PC/MAC

you can also call Meteor to get the MMS settings delivered Over the Air to your handset if the web based request isn't working

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 dublincastro

If I understand Griffdaddy's previous posts...

"had no problem with mms and gprs but have no idea where to put such a big apn or modem initialisation string"

"what do i put in for the rest of the fields? can i just edit my gprs or mms account?"

The way I establish a dial up internet connection over GPRS with O2 is as follows.

The APN initilisation string needs to be put in the following area (on a Windows PC):

Start
    Settings
    Control Panel
    Phone & Modem Options
    Modems
    Double Click on your selected 'Modem'
    Advanced
    and here under "Extra Initilisation Commands" enter the APN string given to you by Meteor AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","ISP.MYMETEOR.IE" (see attached example).

You might also need the DNS (Primary & Secondary Settings), which are entered in your dial up networking connection. Most operators require these to be entered in but is not always the case depending on the GGSN's being used by the operators.

You will also need to check (if you hav'nt done already) that you are provisioned with the relevant APN for connectivity to the Internet with Meteor (which in this case looks like "ISP.MYMETEOR.IE". *99# is the dial string used.

This is the method I use when connecting on GPRS to the Internet with O2

Hope this helps.

Advertisement