Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland nominated top golf destination!

• 16-03-2004 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2004/03/15/story138468.html
    Ireland has been nominated top golf destination by the International Association of Golf Tour Operators (IAGTO).

Ireland attracts over 240,000 golfers from the across the globe each year and was voted top destination by the Association which represents 145 members in 28 countries.

Countries were rated on customer satisfaction, quality of golf courses and accommodation, value for money, professional conduct of suppliers, support from the local tourism industry and accessibility to tee times.

Speaking afterwards, Padraig Harrington said : “I’m not surprised at this latest recognition for Irish golf. I play all over the World and in my experience Ireland’s whole golfing package in terms of choice and quality of courses, combined with that distinctive Irish welcome, is something special”.

Ireland generates close to €200m annually from golfing tourism

The breakdown of visitors into Ireland shows approximately 153,600 from the UK; 45,600 from the USA; 40,800 from continental Europe and 6% or 14,400, representing the rest of the world.

Ireland has over 400 golf courses including one third of the world’s links courses.
    For the size of our country it is some achivement to be voted the best destination and also I was suprised to see we have 1/3 of the world's links courses.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭ShriekingSheet

This is great!

However we always seem to get this kinda recognition and to be honest- I just don't get it! I mean, dont get me wrong- Im proud of our country's courses but having travelled and played a good bit I must say most places are as good or better than back home!

I haven't played extensively worldwide or anything- Scotland, Portugal, Spain and Wales- and they all had class courses and great set ups! I think the new cool-to-be-irish brand has struck again to be honest! (a-la Eurovision)

Not a bad thing though
    :D

Advertisement