Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England rejects

• 16-03-2004 1:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Is there really a need for these so called "Irish" players in the Ireland team. Sure enough the likes of Jon Macken and Kevin Nolan are good but who are we going to take out to let them in? Willo Flood will be a revelation next season for Man City as will Stephen Elliot, its not as if we dont have enough quality at the moment and coming through. I just think that were doing nothing but let England laugh at us if we accept Englands rejects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 adeldorf

Flood is a winger and to be honest having seen himself and Duffer play at young ages i'd rate him more at the moment than i would when duff was 18. When he moves into the International side then duff could push up front again. As sorry as i am to say this but maybe the time has come to play the old Jack Charlton long ball method with Doherty and Keane up front again. Its the most success we've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

if those players put in full effort for Ireland, I wouldn't be too bothered. Both Nolan and Macken are handy players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As sorry as i am to say this but maybe the time has come to play the old Jack Charlton long ball method with Doherty and Keane up front again.

TBH, as well as we did back then playing long ball football we had great quality on the pitch and should really have been passing the ball around.

I've got no problem with what you class as "England Rejects" playing for Ireland. If someone is eligible and willing to declare for Ireland and play well when selected then let them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Macken is a very decent player, I'd be happy to see him in the Ireland shirt.
    I just think that were doing nothing but let England laugh at us if we accept Englands rejects.

They do that anyway, we might as well get some of them as they're better than a lot of what we have :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I agree that Macken is good. I think City have yet to see the his best form too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Macken doesn't give a toss about Ireland. He said he wants to play for us because "As a professional you always want to test yourself against the best." I don't really care how good he is, do you really want someone with this attitude playing for Ireland?

I wouldn't mind Nolan because I have no doubt he has the potential to be an England regular and if he declares for us at this early stage of his career I wouldn't have a problem.

Kerr said today that he "does not envisage capping anybody under this ruling in the short-term", I am happy with that.

About Willo Flood. He is probably the best 18 year old I have seen playing for Ireland EVER. He plays on the right wing which is good for us and he looks great at set pieces. He's gone on a month's loan to Rochdale and he will probably make his debut tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

eirebhoy we have players like Keane who don't want to play for us full stop. If Macken committed to Ireland and played well, then why should there be a problem with it?

Originally posted by vorbis
    eirebhoy we have players like Keane who don't want to play for us full stop. If Macken committed to Ireland and played well, then why should there be a problem with it?
    He wouldn't feel the passion that other Irish players would and only wants to play to further his career. What happens if we meet England in the World Cup, I doubt he would like to be the person who knocks his own country out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Must admit Im speaking from a position of ignorance regarding Macken but here goes............
    Personally I have never had any problem with foreign born players playing for Ireland but I do have a problem with players who have decided to opt for another country and after not making the grade then deciding to come and play for Ireland, Im not sure if Macken or indeed Nolan fall into this catagory but if they do then I dont want to see them in an Irish jersey.

I read today that a player only has to live in a country for 2 years to be eligible to play for that country. This is bloody ridiculous, think of the amount of players England/Spain/Italy could have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

any word on how Flood did the last night?

Originally posted by uberwolf
    any word on how Flood did the last night?
    He had a good game, set up the goal and was taken off a few minutes before the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    He had a good game, set up the goal and was taken off a few minutes before the end.

Yeah saw a quote from him today saying the manager only took him off near the end to waste time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Sherlock

"I wouldn't mind Nolan because I have no doubt he has the potential to be an England regular and if he declares for us at this early stage of his career I wouldn't have a problem"

Brian Kerr asked Nolan 3 years ago to play for us and Nolan told him that he wanted to play for England.He then went on to win an u-21 cap for England but obviously doesn't see much chance of a full England cap so hes come back to us.
    Kevin Gallen has written to Kerr looking to be considered for an Ireland cap despite turning us down years ago and getting England u-21 caps.
    Personally I'd tell them both to f*** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think i will start living in either san marino, leichenstein
    or luxembourg fopr 2 years , then some day my dreams of becoming an international will come true mwahhahaaaha :rolleyes: . well theres always western somoa or the soloman island if i cant make a european country :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I don't see the problem tbh.

If somebody wants to put on the Ireland shirt and represent Ireland, and are willing to do their best, I'd consider them as Irish as anyone else in the team.

Just because you're not born here doesn't mean you're not Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

What is with this two year rule?
    That means Im eligible to play for Holland....and ill be looking to get my revenge against Ireland :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Oh, can we turn this into another Keane/McCarthy thread. Those are the best.

As for the thread, I think it depends on the individual english man. Some are just doing it for the sake of playing international football (e.g. Matt Holland, Clinton Morrisson) and some because they have a connection to the country (e.g. Gary Breen, David Connolly).

Originally posted by PHB
    I don't see the problem tbh.

If somebody wants to put on the Ireland shirt and represent Ireland, and are willing to do their best, I'd consider them as Irish as anyone else in the team.

Just because you're not born here doesn't mean you're not Irish
    I'm sure if you asked Macken or Nolan their nationality they would say English but ask Gary Breen (or Lee Trundle for that matter) the same question and he would tell you he was Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭lad12

Eh Clinton Morisson is an English reject...Not good enuf for them...he is hardly good enuf for us....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

As sorry as i am to say this but maybe the time has come to play the old Jack Charlton long ball method with Doherty and Keane up front again. Its the most success we've ever had.

Thats banable surely :P I would dread to see soccer played like that again..it was ugly

What irealnd needs is a proper kids programme that takes on loads of kids every year and teaches them soccer and also an education in case they are crap.

I hope Wildo turns out to be 1/2 decent, we need something on the other side of the pitch and we need miller to fill KEanes boots and find a 2nd striker

Advertisement