Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex: Invisible War (pc)

Options
  • 16-03-2004 4:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

Just bought it today but not back in dublin till tommorow night so have to sit eagerly awaiting to play it :(

Whats the views on this so far? is it as good as the first and just as enjoyable? have been looking forward to this for a while now so i certainly hope it dosent dissapoint

(im looking for a load of ppl to tell me how much they enjoyed it! *but honest reviews so far please!*)

I heard a chat about the xbox version recently on here but nothing pc wise as far as i could remember? ive never liked fps games on a controller, im a keyboard+mouse man myself and just cant bear to play with controllers (why i always wasnt a fan at all of halo on the xbox, just felt my aiming and precision was just to awqward and slow, they even set the trigger aim on in xbox halo i noticed to compensate for the fact the controllers are just too slow..) anyway less talk of halo xbox and more of telling me about deus ex 2 for pc :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I hate to be the one to say this to you but...

you probably should have searched through this forum already for reviews.

Its REALLY bad.

No where NEAR as good as the original.

Its a console port, and severly dumbed down version.

What more can I say :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

and severly dumbed down version

:(, i had only looked briefly at the xbox thread and thought people were referring to the xbox version when this was mentioned..

maybe i should have read up more on it instead of only looking briefly, i had anticipated this game to be class aswell :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Its not terrible, not as good as the first one but still well above par and worth playing (as long as you patch it before even trying to play, and disabling shadows does wonders).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

While not being all that fantastic, It's still got a lot of it's Deus Exyness. Put it this way. If you were a huge fan of the original then this one at least deserves a try.

Seriously though, not "Best Game Ever!!!!" but really not too bad either.
    I can think of many worse games that we've been fed in recent times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Its pretty cool on P.C. The graphics are lovely, and theres alot of nice touches. Its not THAT dumbed down too, its still fairly cerebral, but just not as much as DX1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

I wouldn't say it was a waste buying, or you threw money down the drain.
    I've played the orignal many, many times, and enjoyed the orignal.

The best description I've heard of the sequel, is dumbed down version of deus ex, made shorter. But still a good game definitely.
    Ending _may_ disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Mikill

I loved the original and although this isnt as good as it
    It is still a very enjoyable game.
    As JcDenton said there , It still feels like Deus Ex and if you liked the original
    this is still worth playing through.

Originally posted by _CreeD_
    Its not terrible, not as good as the first one but still well above par and worth playing (as long as you patch it before even trying to play, and disabling shadows does wonders).

why would i want to disable eyecandy ? :)

i put together this machine for the purpose i want as much eyecandy as possible!

just about to install and give it a go justnow, will see how it goes

glad to hear the other replies though about it, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i think i read something a while back about it running like a dog with shadows on even on high spec machines for some reason. this could be it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ran fine for me with everything on. On my old 2200+ and ti4600 and newer 64-3000+ and 9800XT

• Advertisement

thanks for the tip afterall, had to disable shadows..

funny, it was really laggy with shadows on then as soon as i turned them off it was smooth as a babys bum!

wouldnt have known what to do with it if i hadnt have asked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Definately dumbed down but enjoyable none the less. A little bit too easy for my liking but it makes up for it with length, a little longer than most games coming out now(although that could be the fact i had to restart it 3 times due to hard drive formatting and power cuts-- Yes remember folks F10 is your friend :))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by astrofool
    ran fine for me with everything on. On my old 2200+ and ti4600 and newer 64-3000+ and 9800XT

Driver versions, tweaks?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Big Chief
    thanks for the tip afterall, had to disable shadows..

funny, it was really laggy with shadows on then as soon as i turned them off it was smooth as a babys bum!

wouldnt have known what to do with it if i hadnt have asked :)

All Hail me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Originally posted by Squall
    makes up for it with length, a little longer than most games coming out now(although that could be the fact i had to restart it 3 times due to hard drive formatting and power cuts-- Yes remember folks F10 is your friend :))

That must be it-im deeply dissapointed with the length-its minsicule locations (every door to a different tiny area is a load its like resident evil!).The massive simplication, unnecesary simplification at that,is risible-the ps2 version of Deus Ex 1 lost the limit on the inventory and location damage to JC and thats it.This loses almost everything mildly cerebral about the game.Theres no reason for this KOTOR was an X-box title first and it wasnt dumbed down at all, differences between it and the pc version were almost non-existent.Lets hope Deus Ex-Invisible War isnt a pointer to what Thief 3 will be and lets hope Spector doesnt get near another System Shock title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

Yeh I have also had a lot of problems running Deus Ex2 on high settings on my amdfx51/9800xt machine I might try that shadows thing but I am still a bit annoyed as I thought it should work fine:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Originally posted by crowl
    Yeh I have also had a lot of problems running Deus Ex2 on high settings on my amdfx51/9800xt machine

Now thats really scarey.... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

lol yeh it sucks:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

There was 2 things which I did
    Update Game
    & then there are 2 deus ex tweaker programs [weren't hard to find ... look on deus ex 2 forums ...]

Used these tweakers + patch [all at same time - so unsure which helped].

xp2600, 9800 pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I've been playing the game since yesterday (Runs ok on my machine) and I'm enjoying it. I think I've come to terms with the fact that it's inferior to the original a long time ago thanks to muchos heads up, and I'm just enjoying it for what it is.

The universal ammo is probably the most frustrating part of the game however. I remember that it was used in Syndicate Wars before, and where in the first game you could have an array of weapons, the universal ammo made the concept of carrying a backup weapon utterly redundant.

Invisible War is a good game, but it's frankly just a poor shadow of the original Ground-breaking game, much in the same way that Syndicate was so ahead of its time, yet it lumped out a sub-standard and completely dumbed-down sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Syndicate. Now THAT was a bloody great game. *reminisces*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Syndicate, that was an amazing game so ahead of its time, graphics, sound, gameplay and only 6mb full install:) I have fond memorys playing that game around 1993 on my lil macintosh LCIII with 4mb of RAM and 250mb hard disk:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Forming a gang using the Persuadatron was good fun. :)

Advertisement