Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to Eircom provide...

• 16-03-2004 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭

My friend recently got hooked up to Eircom, and we decided to do a bit of Co-operative gaming in Baldur's Gate II.

After having previous experience of hosting and playing within 2 minutes, i assumed there would be no problem, however, we were unable to connect to each other.

My question is, with their basic package, do eircom supply a router/firewall thing, that would have to have ports opened on it to allow the gaming connections through? If not, then it must be something else...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

if your friend does have a router, you may be able to automatically forward all ports to one particular pc (i know you can with the IOLBB Zyxel Ethernet router)

All you've to do is change the:

External - Internal - Hostname
    Default - Default - 0.0.0.0

to:
    Default - Default - IP.Of.Main.PC

Dunno if it;s any use to you, just thought I'd mention it

Zoro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

That's not very good advice, because you're effectively opening up your PC to the Internet and bypassing the firewall.

Baldur's Gate II does seem to use a lot of ports though, so you will need top "open" a few ports on the firewall. The Netopia modem eircom give out does have some sort of basic firewall (IIRC), though I don't recall what its interface looks like. You'll need to open the ports detailed on this website.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

ah yes ... you're right, sorry I was assuming that your friend had ZoneAlarm or the equivalent on the pc that the router was redirecting to ... my bad

Advertisement