Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murphy Manslaughter Trial Vedicts

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Originally posted by daveirl
    I guess I'll have to watch my friends getting beatings then. I'm just hoping if I'm out and get set upon my friends don't obey the rule of law and do come to my aid.

I'd prefer to go to prison for helping my friend than have them get beaten badly.

I don't think you'l need all your friends to help you defend (not attack) yourself against 1 person

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by daveirl
    I guess I'll have to watch my friends getting beatings then.
    No, but you will have to refrain from continuing to beat the assailant once he's no longer a threat, until he dies. Think you can do that? I mean, I know it's just sooooo much to ask of a reasonable person....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

They got off lightly . Instead of the recent Cork case and this one acting as a deterrent to kids who get into fights on our streets every weekend night they now know that as long as they don,t admit to it they can pretty much beat someone to death and the worst they can expect is a couple of years in jail at best they can walk away from the courthouse a free man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

I wish I had the moral conviction of you lot, but I guess myself and Daveirl would be the 2 people in the Jury who would be looking for beyond reasonable doubt for a conviction and stopping a unanimous verdict. Until the judge figures out there are 2 dissenters and says he'll accept a 10-2 verdict.

I hope none of you Pharisees ever have to count on someone to give you the benefit of the doubt...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by magpie
    I hope none of you Pharisees ever have to count on someone to give you the benefit of the doubt...
    What doubt was Laide denied the benefit of?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

If you are in a large group and kick a defencless man who is lying on the ground in the head it leaves very little room for doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Or throw two hard punches that cause him to fall!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The only miscarriage, as this nonsense is being sold to the media, is that the others involved were not put away.

Indeed some never even had thier collar felt.

I'd love to know the justifcation of those who know who the guilty parties are have for saying nothing. Not to mention the parents of same who also proberly know thier little darling is witness to a killing but who have managed to convince themselves its best to do nothing. I hope someone finds thier backbone.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

seems that the sentences in this case are the norm, here is a similar case

http://www.unison.ie/breakingnews/index.php3?ca=9&si=52620

A 24 year old Dubliner has been jailed for four years, for the manslaughter of a man at a bus stop. Ian Stanbridge from Tallaght punched James Kavanagh of Malahide in the head, after the men got into an argument. He died three days later at the Mater Hospital. Stanbridge, a father of two with 20 previous convictions, denied the charge. In sentencing, Judge Yvonne Murphy said she accepted he had not intended to kill Kavanagh when he delivered a single, fatal blow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Stanbridge, a father of two with 20 previous convictions

OK, so how does this guy differ from Laide then? Also he definitely delivered the fatal blow, rather than being involved in a general altercation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Although not a lawyer, my understanding of the Irish justice system was that it was a case of "innocent until proven guilty". The judge in this case himself said that there is no proff that the blows delivered by laide killed Murphy

The principle of Criminal Law here is that the defendant's actions can be said to have made a significant contribution to the victim's death. The defendant must take the victim as he finds him, ie. if a tap to the head kills someone because of their condition, you are guilty.

Advertisement