Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMS sucks

Options
  • 16-03-2004 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭

Just got the nokia 3200 and have been sending picture messages since, about 15% of them actually go through but it still takes about 3 hours to do so, sound clips are blank when recieved!
    is this the same on 087 086!!!
    God it sucks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

95% of the time it goes straight through for me on Meteor. What phone are the sounds clips "blank" on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cianc_old

What network are you on? I know Vodafone have a 30K limit on MMS's. This is not clearly advertised and caused me no end of grief until I finally worked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

I'm sending 3200 to 3200, you know say you record a voice clip, then insert in to mms message but when it gets to the other phone nothing can be heard??

I'm on 085!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

no problems here at all
    are you sure that its configured correctly on both handsets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cianc_old

Is the phone you're sending to on 085 also?

• Advertisement

Oh sorry to bother ye guy's but the pics are flying through now!
    Problem with the recordings though! when sent/recieved they cant be heard, it plays and all!! (phone on genral profile) any help??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

im meteor(nokia 3200) and i try to send pics/tones to a vodafone(gx10) and every time my friend gets a msg sayin you've received a mms message log on to www.xxxxxx.xxxx and type in XXXX. any1 any ideas why this happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Celticwarrior

AFAIK meteor MMS cant be sent cross network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Healio
    im meteor(nokia 3200) and i try to send pics/tones to a vodafone(gx10) and every time my friend gets a msg sayin you've received a mms message log on to www.xxxxxx.xxxx and type in XXXX. any1 any ideas why this happens?

I'm not sure what the situation is with Vodafone, but with O2, you have to phone up to have MMS receiving 'activated' on the account. Or at least if your original O2 phone wasn't an MMS phone. I guess this is to stop those messages borking up non-MMS phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Originally posted by Celticwarrior
    AFAIK meteor MMS cant be sent cross network

ah I see, didnt tink of that. cheers mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'm not sure what the situation is with Vodafone, but with O2, you have to phone up to have MMS receiving 'activated' on the account. Or at least if your original O2 phone wasn't an MMS phone. I guess this is to stop those messages borking up non-MMS phones.

Same is true on VF - you need to have your profile on the MMSC set up for an MMS handset and have the MMS APN provisioned.

As far as I know you can only send MMS across net between VF and O2 (and the other way), not Meteor. I'm sure this will change sooner or later...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Could you save money by sending text messages via MMS instead of SMS?

By my reasoning, cost of text message - 13c. Total size of an MMS text message (where you get a lot more than 160 characters) - 3kb, at 3c per KB over GPRS that's 9c for a decent size message (as opposed to those horrible little shorthand snippets you have to send using SMS).

Or do networks have some way of stopping this?

<edit>Actually just checked, the **** have a 50c minimum charge. Oh well. God I can't wait for the day when something replaces SMS, if ever</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

yeah, i think they charge for MMS per message instead of per KB?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭soiaf

Don't know about o2 or meteor, but Vodafone say on

http://www.vodafone.ie/live/picturemess/index.jsp

that you can send a text message up to 1KB in size for 19c.
    So 19c would be the minimum charge in this case.

I reckon this is about 6 'normal' text messages, at just over 3c a message.
    Or maybe I'm an optimist :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah that looks cool for vodafone. From what I gather on o2 though, you have to pay full picture message cost. Although that "using e-mail functionality instead of MMS functionality" looks interesting. Maybe I just need to configure the standard GPRS gateway on my phone.

Originally posted by Manticore
    Oh sorry to bother ye guy's but the pics are flying through now!
    Problem with the recordings though! when sent/recieved they cant be heard, it plays and all!! (phone on genral profile) any help??

Any theorys??

Advertisement