Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could Liverpool get Martin O'Neill in the summer?

• 16-03-2004 1:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

All opinions welcome!! BTW - I am a Liverpool fan and think that GH has had his chance....time for another person to step in!!

--laoisfan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

NO!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Possible I guess but as a Celtic fan I would hate to see it!:(

GH has had enough time. They need a change in Management!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

YES!

With Larrson going O'Neill knows he will find it tougher and if the pool came in, I'd reckon he would leave.

But maybe Dermot Desmonds money could persuade him otherwise:confused:

I'll tell you how we know if he will stay at Celtic, if he doesn't play Miller for the rest of the season although I really think he will play him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by smiaras
    I thought that in football terms Liverpool would rather appoint a manager with a different style of play? He'd be great for the culub but can't see it happening myself.

Not many available do is there??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They could but should they?? No.

Houllier has done what O'Neill did in Europe with the exception that Liverpool actually won the UEFA Cup under Houllier. Winning the Scottish League with Celtic or Rangers is no achievement and I don't think O'Neill would do any better than GH in the Premiership.

If I were a Liverpool fan I'd want Curbishley or Steve Bruce. If they were going to go foreign, Fabio Capello.

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    If I were a Liverpool fan I'd want Curbishley or Steve Bruce. If

Who have done less than Martin O' Neill!!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

seriously, I think MoN would do an amazing job at liverpool; but I think they are a bit of a mess at the moment, and I think they will stick with Houlier as long as he gets them into CL..

I also think MoN wouild not go to a club thats not in the champions league at this stage..

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    They could but should they?? No.

Houllier has done what O'Neill did in Europe with the exception that Liverpool actually won the UEFA Cup under Houllier. Winning the Scottish League with Celtic or Rangers is no achievement and I don't think O'Neill would do any better than GH in the Premiership.

If I were a Liverpool fan I'd want Curbishley or Steve Bruce. If they were going to go foreign, Fabio Capello.
    Houllier won the UEFA cup after spending tens of million's, O'Neill got to the final after spending less than a couple of million. He changed Celtic from a team coming second to Rangers every season to a team that Rangers haven't a hope in hell of beating.

At Wycombe, He got them from the conference to Division 2 in 2 seasons. He got Leicester promoted in his first (?) season and got them to the UEFA cup a couple of years later.

Believe me, he has achieved more than Houllier ever will.

edit - Heskey was scoring goals for fun with O'Neill in charge, as soon as he moves to Liverpool Houllier plays him all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I reckon MON will head to Liverpool and Larson is likely to head the same direction!

Isn't larrson supposed to be going to Barca?

Originally posted by Gillie

No deal done yet, but he has hinted at spain

Originally posted by Gillie
    They said they were interested. I don't know if they really are interested, they were probably playing mind games with him before the Barca-Celtic game.

Well maybe thet're more interested after seeing the performance he put in!
    That header for the goal! Pure Class!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

No way O'neill's not going to Liverpool IMO he's holding out cause he wants the Man U job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭AmenToThat

Originally posted by The Phenom
    No way O'neill's not going to Liverpool IMO he's holding out cause he wants the Man U job.

Would love to see the look on Millers face if he looks up in training one morning for Man U and sees O Neills car comming through the gate!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

the worse man utd do under ferguson-the less the chance pool will get o'neil.i also think hes waiting for man u to come calling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

I cant see O'Neill filling Ferguson's shoes yet. But it would be great to see him at a top English club. Newcastle would be perfect. Robson might be wearying himself with it a little, and it may be time to go. I think O'Neill could really prove himself there. A big test would be managing Shearer. If he can pull that off, he might be ready for OT in a few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

I definitly think O'Neill should get out of Celtic i know they are Uefa Finalists but i still think a Premiership club would be a better thing for him. Although i don't see it being Man U cause despite Uniteds bad run so far there not just gonna sack Ferguson and i doubt he'll retire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GreatKingRat

He's got to know there's nothing else for him to prove up in Scotland.
    Newcastle this summer sounds ideal - that might be a good bet.
    I'd hate to see him got to Liverpool though. I'd miss the Ger Houllier show too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

would love to see houllier moved upstairs, or anywhere away from the players and some-one else brought in.

With liverpools style they could go for thompson but i'd prefer sammy lee if they took that way.

other than that Sam Allerdyce would suit us at the mo, if O'neil wasn't availible. NOt sure i'd like a big foreign manager. Think we need a guy who'll get the best out of the players while taking no **** from them.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

2 Facts about O'Neill:
    1-Bought a house on the Wirall
    2- Last week became a member of Birkdale golf club

Both in Liverpool.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

todays sunday times relates the story that he is being lined up for chelsea as basically their other 4-5 candidates(ancelottin,wenger,capello,hitzfeld etc) have been ruled out for a variety of reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Chelsea sounds a bit too big for him. It'd be the ultimate challenge in football management at this moment in time. Newcastle sounds a little more realistic.
    Liverpool always sounds depressing. It really would be better for everyone concerned to just quit their losses at that club and start over.

Advertisement