Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SonyEricsson T610 - Should I?

Options
  • 16-03-2004 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭

LO all.
    Thinking about getting a T610 when my upgrade is granted (hopefully end of month)
    Need a decent bluetooth phone, with colour screen etc.
    Would love to get the Nokia 6230, but doubt funds would stretch that far :)

Now question is, hows the T610? I've heard a lot of good things about it on the reviews. Aswell as a lot of bad.

Anyone have any real - life (no-biased) :-) opinions on it?

Heard the Camera quality was fairly crappy?

cheers for any input!

S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I've had the SE T610 for a few months now and I'm pretty happy with it. In terms of features, it can't really be beaten unless you are willing to pay a hell of a lot more money. It's got bluetooth, Infrared, GPRS, MMS, colour screen, ployphonic ringtones, camera, and best of all - it's own built-in email client. The only faults I can find with it are: writing text messages can be extremely slow and laggy which is very frustrating when you are in a hurry and the camera resolution isn't great.

The text message thing is the only thing which would make me consider going back to a Nokia in the future, but on balance the T610 is still a great phone.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Great phone mate but the screen is totally crap compared to the new 64,000 and 256,000 colour screens get the T630 availiable now as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

The T610 has a 64000 colour screen and its very sharp and big, although its STN, which has a little bit of ghosting and that thing where lines extend from the edges of dark blocks a bit! Still, much, much better then most of the Nokias with colour screens that people have, like the 6100 and the 3510.

For the money, T610 cant be beat. As long as its not the Vodafone version, saw one recently, completely buggered up with customisation and logos.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

No no no!! The phone is no where near as good as some people say!! Especially if you are used to intuitive Nokia interfaces!!

Had it for 4 months and got rid of it!! My shortest lived phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I like mine :)

Txt'in can be slow, but once you know what your typing it catches up with you. Hate, Nokias. Is that biased?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 dgarrad

Well I'm happy with mine.I've had nothing but Siemens up till now,and I have to say this is so much better than them!

The only problem I do have is with the text messages.When typing the phone does struggle to keep up sometimes,but I've found if you keep typing anyway by the time you're finished the phone will have caught up.

Camera quality isn't great,but honestly,if you want to take good quality pics get a cheap digital camera instead.

Bluetooth's great,especially if you get the FloAt Mobile Agent,which allows you to sync the phone with your pc and type up text messages,make phone calls,etc from the pc.And of course there's Bluejacking,which is amusing!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭shurl

Cheers for the input folks!

Still on the fence about it,

Might try and get me a lend of one.

I hear theres ways of removing the Vodafone customisation.?

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Originally posted by shurl
    I hear theres ways of removing the Vodafone customisation.?

You'll have to flash the phones ARM, AVR and GDFS to completely rid it of customisation. You can either buy a terminator dongle and download Div 8.4, or you can get a T28 service cable and use SE Total Flashing Server to unlock it. Using the flashing server costs around $10 per credit, though. And you'll need three. Either work out at around the same price, but if you flash your phone a lot, you may as well go for a terminator dongle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 LebonIRL

I have to stand up for the texting. Ok, it can be slow to catch up but the software more than makes up for it. You can add words to your dictionary ( very handy living in Ireland with people's names and place names rarely present), ifyou make a mistake at the start of a sentence and delete the first few characters, the first letter will appear in CAPS again. Intelligent text software. I have a Nokia work mobile phone and it drives me mad.

Yes, picture quality is bad from camera but with Bluetooth and www.myt610.net, you're laughing.

P.S. Great Linux themes at above site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭.-=MR. JOE=-.

I have my T610 for 9 months now and I love it!

I got it last September (Sim-Free from Derry - a few months before they reached the Irish market). The phone's loaded with feature as you probably know. You'll hav endless fun bluejacking too. The camera quality is a bit fuzzy indoors but it's grand outside in good daylight. The bluetooth is really handy for transfering files from the computer to the mobile. The t610 comes up as a new drive in Explorer and you can just drag and drop.

I might upload a few of my photos some time I've more time. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 2smartbyhalf

You'll hav endless fun bluejacking too

LOL!! Thats a excellent reason for buying a T610.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Finally, a practical use for bluetooth...

http://www.toothing.co.uk

Interesting article on this "phenomenon": http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/04/19/blue_tooth/

I noticed this a bit when I was out in Dublin when I was scanning for my buddys bluetooth phone in a pub; lots of people with bluetooth phone names such as "Crucially Single" and "YoungBlondeSingle" and such.. mad.

Advertisement