Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employees unable to travel to work because of transport strike

Options
  • 16-03-2004 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

For employees who are unable to travel to work due to the transport strike (if it goes ahead on Thursday) can an employer insist that they take a day out of their holiday entitlement to cover this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭voodoo

Im not 100% sure on this, but my impression would be that it's the employees issue as they should be able to make "alternative" arrangements!

Im in the same boat and will have to drive, but it's going to be a nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

my company has just sent out an email stating that all employees are required to make every effort to make it to work. if it is impossible for us to do so then we have to discuss taking a day off (holiday) instead.

:( i had to book a day off - travel up/down everyday from laois so........

bummer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Is there any way that the general public can show SIPTU that they are against this action (assuming they are)? Is it possible to make an official complaint through people's own unions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

Originally posted by Imposter
    Is there any way that the general public can show SIPTU that they are against this action (assuming they are)? Is it possible to make an official complaint through people's own unions?

maybe we can write some sort of letter to SIPTU stating our anger at the strike.
    Surely they should understand that most of the general public are against them.

Getting into work for me on Thursday is going to be difficult because I take 2 buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Merrion
    For employees who are unable to travel to work due to the transport strike (if it goes ahead on Thursday) can an employer insist that they take a day out of their holiday entitlement to cover this?
    Yes. Although obviously it depends on your contract. If your employer has to pay for taxis when working late in the evening or early in the morning, they may have to pay in this instance.
    If they pay a certain amount of uncertified sick pay, you can use that too.

Basically, how you get to and from work is none of your employer's business unless your contract says it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

As Seamus said, getting to work is not the company's responsibility. That's your problem. They could be accomodating maybe this week and allow leniency with regards to getting in, but there's no reason to allow you off just because of the strike (from their point of view).

As to writing to SIPTU - since when have the unions given a flying fig about the harm their strikes do? You KNOW their response will be all about how it's unfortunate, but Seamus Brennan is to blame since he won't do everything they ask and cave into their insane demands of a job for life. And this could be the first of many that get enforced on us.

I already had booked the day off but if a day was given off by the company, should I not be entitled to that day as well. Why should those who could come in, come in when others don't have to? Such examples would, I believe, mean most companies won't touch the issue of dealing with the transport strike. It's near close of business here and we've not heard a tap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Hmmm
    had the day off and was looking forward to it

now it looks like I'll have to go in

wish those guys would have the courage of their convictions and strike when they say they are going to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

as a member of siptu i find it outrageous that they can close this country down when and if they want to. it is a gross abuse of their power. as a member of siptu i have neither been consulted or informed of their intentions or reasons for attempting these actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Originally posted by Imposter
    Is it possible to make an official complaint through people's own unions?

What about the 70% of workers who do not belong to any union and therefore are not in a position to blackmail the rest of society?

Advertisement