Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do games shops have to lie to there customers

Options
  • 16-03-2004 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭

Right ive been meaning to post this for awhile but today really broke the camels back, as the subject title says, went into a games shop today and was enquiring about th release date for Battlefield Vietnam, now all and sundry knows its this friday, i was going in to see about a deposit for it and just wanted to make sure it was this friday

So now this would be scenario 1 which would be the correct procedure to follow

hiya is BF vietnam out this friday

indeed it is we have it now but cant sell it to you till friday

Fine heres a deposit and i go on my way

Instead and this is what pissed me off, this is actually what happened Scenario 2

hiya is BF vietnam out this friday

twat behind counter takes a look to his left and then says to me hell just check on the computer to see if he has any info on a release date

so me being curious as to what he was looking at lent ever so slightly over the counter and saw about 20 copies of vietnam all nice and new and unopened on the floor

Meanwhile twat is pretending to punch in something on the computer, curious as his fingers never touched the keyboard and all hes doing is moving the mouse.

so while hes scratching his armpit, i just happen to glance at a stack of games on the counter, guess what more copies of vietnam unopened,

So while im waiting for scenario 1 to play out, said twattage comes over and with a seriously straight face says to me and i Quote, We have nothing on our release schedules for vietnam for the next 4 weeks

well it got my heckles up and i just said well that seems very strange seens as you have a load of unopened and sealed copies behind your counter and right here beside me, the guy turned bright red, he knew i caught him out and i just turned on me heels and left

Never to darken there doors again, smyths here i come, it just begs the question why the bald face lies, i wasnt going to leap at him and demand a copy there and them

Really aggravates me

Shin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

ok, relax.

now what games shop was it? you know he'd prob have sold it to you since you had caught him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

It was gamestop in waterford

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Hmm, doesn't surprise me in the least. I wouldn't be surprised to find out more than half the staff in games should couldn't tell the difference between the controllers for the different consoles, let alone give you informed advice about the games they sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Senor_Fudge

try smyths

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

was the guy about your age?

did he look like he could have been in college or working part-time?

could it have been his first day?

when you go into a supermarket and ask someone stacking the shelves do they know where something is do you storm out if they don't?

what you could have done is had a laugh about it and asked could you put a deposit down for friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I don't think so, the man lied, **** that, you don't need to take that ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I knew its was gamestop before I even opened the thread.
    Same thing happened with me before...for some reason,I didnt bother pointing out all the copies of ZeroHour on the floor behind him. I instead walked up to smyths, and got it there. Also got a fiver off because it was a new release.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Personally this reminds me of the film "Clerks" and in particular the scene where the woman asks Randal what the two video's she's holding up are like.

Then I laugh to myself at the pranks I've sometimes played on customers. Ah dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

or order online from play.com, ive used them and their great, dont even charge on shipping, get BFV from there *cough crap chopper controls cough* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I used to do the exact same thing when I worked in a CD shop. Except I was a better liar, so I got away with it! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

One answer to that.

"Can I speak to the manager please?"

When he arrives...

"Do you train your staff to show such a lack of interest in their job?"

THEN walk out...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

One answer to that.

When he arrives...

THEN walk out...

You might want to elaborate to the manager, otherwise they wouldnt have a clue what your on about.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I would just like to point out that just because there are a load of copies on the floor or whatever doesnt mean that he knows what the release date is. Of course if he'd actually typed in the details it would have helped :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

One answer to that.

When he arrives...

THEN walk out...

NO sir..we have to recruit them especially. Now, are you bitchin' or buyin'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

Really what do you except from a game shop??

Most game shops have terrible service plus the employees are usually gits.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Get the manager and ask to be sold Battlefield: Vietnam now out of pure compensation for shoddy service.

Only a couple of days and a few hours to go anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Originally posted by therecklessone
    The philosophy of always dealing with retail staff is:
    Never expect an employee on a minimum wage to give a sh1t

The guy clearly is working there to pay the rent/bar-tab; you probably said words to him that meant nothing, as he clearly doesn't play games. I was lucky to work in a bookshop, which seems to grant employees with an interest in the work because most of your work is answering people's searches for books - but till work? Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by mr_angry
    I used to do the exact same thing when I worked in a CD shop. Except I was a better liar, so I got away with it! :p

Why wouldn't you just say when it's out instead of pissing people about?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I was gonna get battlefield 1942 the other day , is there any point seeing as this one is out on Friday ? I kinda prefer WW2 to Vietnam and not sure if my machine will run vietnam smoothly anyway ,

athlon xp 1800
    512 mb ram
    gf 4 ti4200 64 mb

any ideas? will there be people still playing 1942 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Originally posted by Tusky
    I was gonna get battlefield 1942 the other day , is there any point seeing as this one is out on Friday ? I kinda prefer WW2 to Vietnam and not sure if my machine will run vietnam smoothly anyway ,

athlon xp 1800
    512 mb ram
    gf 4 ti4200 64 mb

See the Battlefield board as it will have all the stats you need to see if your PC will run it. On that setup though you will have no problem.

There will still be people playing Battlefield 1942 anyway. Dont worry about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Instead of walking out maybe should have said" any chance i could buy one of those now as i work nights and on shift for next 6 days and wont be back up to shop for week or so" /he may say cant not on system then you buggered but if on system they usually are the mintue they arrive in shop (stops staff stealing them).

Works every time now i dont even bother with a story the nice girl just sells me the games ,she even texts when they arrive in stock)think she fancies me but the PI post :d )

Anyway be nice, get to know the staff it proves invaluable for discounts and getting games when you want them.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

the employees are usually gits.
    I resent that...
    so me being curious as to what he was looking at lent ever so slightly over the counter and saw about 20 copies of vietnam all nice and new and unopened on the floor
    new release stock always arrives midweek for friday... i remember ages ago being tormented by new copies of f-zero gx 2 days before release date!

bah... gamestop people are idiots anyway. *poke*

Advertisement