Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Hacking, detecting airflow/rotation etc... help/tips needed.

Options
  • 16-03-2004 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Is there anyone out there with experience with hacking hardware and that kind of thing.

I'm trying to detect airflow, someone blowing on something. Was considering some kind of rotation detector connected to a fan thing. I was also thinking of using the 'spinners' from a mouse, since they're ready made, so to speak.

In the end i'll ned 4+ of these blowing sensors, so i can't use use a serial mouse.

Anyone out there into harward hacking at that level, or have any idea's/tips/website.

I'm sure there's probably some simple way of doing this. I wonder if I can get a signal from a lightweight PC fan?

Anyways, if you have any ideas, not matter how crazy i'd appreciate the input!

- Kevin

p.s. If there's another forum where I should post this/move it to, that'd be more appropriate. Just yell!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Interesting problem :)

It all depends how much airflow you need to detect.
    A PC fan would require a strong airflow just to move, ok for monitoring high winds maybe. If it's a gentle airflow, then a child's plastic windmill would be more sensitive.

For measurement, the wheels from a ball-mouse are made for the job, as you said. For measurement without restricting fan movement, you could use an optic sensor + light shining between the blades (giant mousewheel).

Advertisement