Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sex is the budgie?

Options
  • 16-03-2004 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a budgie for about two years now, and his cere has never changed colour from when he was a baby, it's still a pink/purple colour.

Any other way of telling the sex? I call it a 'him' because I've kept budgies before and just get the feeling it's a cock ... little things like the first time he nipped me with his beak, it was just a straighforward peck as opposed to grabbing the skin and twisting like the hens do.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Hmm, didn't come up with anything too useful in a search except this. Hope it helps:

http://www.geocities.com/budgie-place/bw_gender.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Unless it's a lutino or an albino, it sounds like a hen to me.Blue for a boy,pretty much anything else for a girl. As far as I know Lutino and Albino budgies don't display sexual dimorphism,ie u can't tell the gender just by the animal's colour/markings (cere colour in the case of most budgies).

Btw, a lutino is completely yellow with a pink cere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Originally posted by neev
    Unless it's a lutino or an albino, it sounds like a hen to me.Blue for a boy,pretty much anything else for a girl. As far as I know Lutino and Albino budgies don't display sexual dimorphism,ie u can't tell the gender just by the animal's colour/markings (cere colour in the case of most budgies).

Exactly, males cere is usually vivid blue, anything else is usually female. If it hasnt changed from the time it was a baby, i would assume it to be female.

there are always exceptions tho lol ;)

B

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Cheers for the replies, I should have said it's an albino, so chances are its what then?

I was thinking of getting a partner for it, and don't want him turning out gay! LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Albino budgies are, afaik, almost impossible to sex non-surgically.

B

If u want to get a partner for it, ur best off to get a male. That way, whether it's a male or female, they'll get on.Female budgies generally don't get on that well on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Back Stabbath

Your budgie is a male. Albinos, lutino's and recessive pieds keep the juvenile cere colouration (purply pink - cock, whitish - hen)

I have a white Dark Eyed Clear, he has always had the purple cere.

Good luck!

Black Stabbath as far as I know it's against the forum rules to dig up old threads. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

what coluur is the bird ??? if you post a pic it might be easier to tell , but i think from your info its a hen ..

• Advertisement

Hunter the OP already said it is an albino.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Falkorre wrote:
    Albino budgies are, afaik, almost impossible to sex non-surgically.

B

I had an albino hen, she had a brown cere like all the hen budgies I've had

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Nala wrote:
    Black Stabbath as far as I know it's against the forum rules to dig up old threads. ;)

In some forums on boards it could even get you banned

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭the hunter

Nala wrote:
    Hunter the OP already said it is an albino.
    hi nala
    sorry missed that ..:)

is there white circles arourd the birds nares (nostrils)

Advertisement