Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Eircom ever stop screwing up?

• 16-03-2004 6:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

I'm not particularly upset about the following balls up made by Eircom but i just though i'd share it with the rest of the class.

Story goes as follows:
    Eircom rep calls out to our house after my dad agreed to an appointment. Rep tells us that our bill is too high and it would cost less to get BB (this much i already know).
    Eircom rep tells us that to upgrade from ISDN we can get a technician installation for 81.81 so fine says I. Eircom rep also promises 15 working day maximum for installation. After 2 days to consider all options all forms are signed and Eircom rep collects said forms.

So i wait until the 13day mark (working days i waited) and still no word from them. So i ring them and get through to call centre. There has been no order for Broadband placed on your account sir. We can place the order on the system now but it will take a further 10-12 working days to get an installation for you. Also the line which the eircom rep that called out to your house was trying to upgrade has now failed the line test so you will have to have iut installed on a different line. This isn't that big of a deal but since its an standart "PST" line the 81.81 only covers the self install option - no engineer. I told them to stick it and hung up.

Another eircom rep rings the house and fills me in that the lkine has failed and that the order couldn't go through and that he was very spory about the whole thing and that he can mark the order as urgent and will try to get an install as soon as possible. At this stage i just want broadband installed so i tell him to put the order through and ring me basck with the installation date. Eircom rep says yes of course, will ring you back in 30 minutes witht he installation date/time.

24hours later eircom rep rings me back and gives me a date 11 working days away.

Fine WTFever...

So adding it all up...just to order broadband your typical customer will need:
    One , preferably more phone lines due to the fact a phone line can fail but the phone line 2m away running from the same exchange can pass.
    You will have to wait up to 27working days from original order being signed due to the numer cock-ups that will be encountered.
    An exteneded tollerance for incompetance.

If you're ordering from Eircom....get ready to wait.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

I have just ordered from eircom, I have ISDN. It will cost me 20euro to downgrade the line, and extra for the engineer to install the BB.

I have been waiting for broadband from IOL since the summer, so if eircom think tehy are going to beat me around the bush, they have another thing coming. I know all the tricks they use now...

I was told up to 10 working days, and Im on day 2 :) Who knows when it might come, but the one I was talking knew her stuff and wasnt being a prat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 XcellorV2

Will Eircom ever stop screwing up?

No.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

We moved in to a new house in january... we order a phone line and ask about BB they say you need a line first and then they'll test it ...

so in goes land line ...
    3 days later (wow fast we were shocked) they test the line... it fails ... but next doors is fine ...
    two weeks later we call back and the line still fails.
    and we are told that the line will never ever be able to have broadband ( next door can get it because "they're the first line in the estate and the lines go round the whole estate before coming back to you" or words to that effect.

we ring IBB and they say they'll be out to put wireless in ...
    they come out on the 16thFeb . go up on the roof and deside that the signal is to weak. (oh well, it was worth a try.)
    we call eircom back on the same day . the 16th. and they say the line passes with no problems at all ... we order, and they say they'll send out the self install... they ask if we want the new deal coming out on the 1st of march ... we say no, we want the deal we asked, thank you.
    ok that should be on the way ...

we call them back on the 23rd and they oh you're being give the other deal, ar'nt we nice its a better deal!

ehhh what happened to sending it right away? , oh no now that your on the new deal we wont even start to process your order untill the 1st of march.
    we dont want that deal we want what we ordered.
    oh we understand that now but we still have to process it with the new orders on the 1st of march...
    ok right so when will we get our modem sent out ...
    first week in march ...
    ok ...
    any way start of this week we get a call telling us that a guy will be out on Thursday morning ...
    wow
    we have ordered a self install .. maybe they're sending him out cause they messed up our order...
    I stay home from work to let the guy in ... guy never shows.

at 16:20 or so I ring Eircom to ask where he is ...
    they dont know ... and cant find out because the tech dept finish at 5 ...
    well its 4 20 now so you've got 40 mins to find out dont you...
    after a few calls, we dont know whats going on at the moment, and I dont think that the people there do either.

Whats so hard about sending out a self install?
    where did the tech guy come in to it? we never asked for him to come out, we just want broadband , we'll give you money!

*cries*

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You really should email this saga to the CEO of Eircom and include the fact that you want compensation for the time off work. Others on here appear to have got satisfaction from such emails - a quick look through some of the threads on here should give you the correct email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Had a similar experience. I ordered BB, then the next day a rep called to my house trying to sell it. I explained that I'd already ordered it. She took my details and said she'd "Sort it out for me", and that it would take 3-5 weeks.

Week 11 and many phonecalls and excuses later and I'm still waiting.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dub45
    You really should email this saga to the CEO of Eircom and include the fact that you want compensation for the time off work. Others on here appear to have got satisfaction from such emails - a quick look through some of the threads on here should give you the correct email address.

A very helpful Eircom Employee apeared at our house today and installed every thing... it seems that the call yesterday did the trick.
    I dont know if it was mentioning the fact that we'ed lost money by not going to work or if it was because we'ed told the nice team leader in the call center to put all the details regarding our order, such as inital order date and processing dates and any thing else in our file, in an envelope and post it out to us.

When they rang back this morning they said they'ed try to get out today at around 6 ... or monday day time.

The strange part is that the guy that showed up to day did so with no warning at about 2 ... it was shear idiot luck that somone was home to get the adsl stuff.

crazy crazy eircom

We're stuck with a crappy 4 gig limit...
    They've done us another "favour"...

oh well at least that part is easy to fix right .? . ?

right? It's not like I'll have to fight them to make them click a button and edit a line in a cfg file some where...

good thing I checked it ... I'll admit it would have been dumb not to have ... although I had to find out on my own where to check it...

I can see it now I'd have been charged an extra 70 euro at the end of the month cause I used 6 gigs at 3.5 cent a meg, thinking that I had an 8gig limit.

and is'nt a gig 1024 megs not 1000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Why do people keep signing up with Eircom...

They offer services that are:
    a) More expensive
    b) Less download
    c) Premium support phone number (unless you are doing their *plus* service which is still only 8 gb)

Yes, I know we have a few die hard Eircom supporters among us that advocate Eircom as being more reliable but that doesn't seem to make sense when it's Eircoms systems that are screwing up and causing probs for Esat and UTV. They certainly aren't reliable to their resellers...

If you keep letting them away with higher prices, lower spec'd products how is DSL ever going to evolve in Ireland? We will still be getting excited when they release 1mb connections in 10 years time when the rest of the world is on 10mb + ....

X

We're going with them for a few reasons
    1. we have a large lump of credit with them.
    2. we've heard a lot of stories about them passing lines only to fail them when another compainy checks it out, and we did'nt want that hassle...

which in retrospect is a bit dumb...

< babble >
    and then when the passed our line, and messed up the order, we thought of going to hosting365 but we where worried that they'd fail the line, and yeah we'ed get it but it would take an extra few weeks to get the mess sorted before the line would pass and then hosting365 or who ever would get a pass and we'ed enter in to their system and if that took a week then we'ed have had to wait an extra month on top of the time we waited while eircom messed up our order ...
    < / babble >

Advertisement