Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

best pay per view of all time

• 16-03-2004 8:09pm

what do people on the forum think is the best [wrestling] pay per view of all time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Only allowing to choose one out of hundreds is just crazy.
    Bearing in mind, i've seen very few WCW/ECW ones, i'm slightly limited.

Wrestlemania III, given its time, there's just so many memories to it

The under-rated Savage V Steamboat classic
    The over-rated Hogan V Andre classic.
    Billy Jack Haynes blading for Hercules.
    Alice Cooper in the corner for Jake Robert's against the Honky Tonk Man
    And one of the very few matches you'll find on tape of the Can-Am connection, Rick Martel and Tom Zenk before Zenk left WWF for reasons similar to Goldberg leaving today.

That and the fact that it's the first PPV I ever saw. :)
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Since WWF changed to WWE (same thing I know) has there been any good PPVs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

WWE was Wrestlemania 17. IMO, it went perfectly. I cherish that DVD. Also, as far as excellent matches go and the fact that it was during the failed invasion era, NO Mercy 2001 was excellent. Still WM17 was the shiznid.

ECW was Heat Wave 99. Brilliant! Who gives a fuk about the presentation when you have a PPV as entertaining as this. Brillinat! :)

Then the rest. CMLL/AAA when Worlds collide back in 1994.

Its not a PPV but CZW:
    Zandigs ultra-violent Tournement of Death
    Best of the Best 2

Hanza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

2 stand out for me

1) Wrestlemania 3, was and still is the benchmark for the Grandaddy of them all, i admit today the Hogan-Andre match was over hyped, but i remembered getting goose bumps when Hogan slammed andre, still get a tingle everytime i see it on a highlight package

2) Of the modern era, Wrestlemania 17 is about as perfect a pay per view as anyone could wish for, the hype was deinitely lived upto on that one

Shin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭a-hole

Originally posted by NightStrike

summer slam rock vs brock was a realy good ppv and they all have some strong poins wwe try their best

wm17 was my faverate or royal rumble 2000 jerico vs benoit

Originally posted by NightStrike

One that i can think of, Vengeance 2003, get rid of the Vince/Gowan farce and you've a class PPV.

Backlash 2003 is one i slated last year, but looking back, the Lesnar/Cena and Rock/Goldberg matches really did impress me, especially the latter as Rock was going on hiatus anyway.

Nero

Originally posted by a-hole
    summer slam rock vs brock was a realy good ppv and they all have some strong poins wwe try their best

wm17 was my faverate or royal rumble 2000 jerico vs benoit

That was Rumble 2001 if the ladder match is the one you're referring to :)
    Nero

yuor right my bad

Although can you imagine a PPV if it had that street fight from 2000 and the ladder match from 2001? Would probably be the best Rumble PPV ever.

Nero

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 nitemonkey04

i think wrestlemania 17 the taker vs hhh match was the business it had
    everything
    royal rumble 00 and 01 where great hhh vs foley in 00 was so brutal and
    he tag team table ruled between the hardyz and dudleyz and 01 y2j vs
    benoit in that classic ladder match and the rumble it's self was great austin and rock
    going at in the rumble

Originally posted by nitemonkey04
    i think wrestlemania 17 the taker vs hhh match was the business it had
    everything

... including a replay that showed HHH bouncing off the big rubber mat!
    Whoops! ;)

Nero

amagion one clip of a mat ruined a grate match

Not just that, but Cripple H used the fakey sledgehammer on Taker and the wood went straight through the plastic hammer piece and into his head, hence busting him wide open.

Love the way on the Cripple H DVD, he tried to convince that he never used a fake sledgehammer, and then says "actually there was one time..." and brings up the mania x7 incident.

Bullsh|t i say, like the whole documentary, although the extras on that DVD ruled.
    Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Not necessarily the best PPV, but the most memorable for me is Royal Rumble 2000. It was shown live on Channel 4 so it was the first one I'd seen live. I can practically remember everything about it. Started by going for a few pints with mates, and on the way home everyone started discussing who would win the Rumble. I hadn't even known they were wrestling fans. At the time, I was a really big Rocky mark, so obviously I wanted him to win. Got home a little drunk just a few minutes after the PPV started.

First match was Kurt Angle on his winning streak, and he came out boasting as usual, and called on anyone from the back to try beat him. The crowd were chanting Tazz Tazz, and then his music hit, and the crowd reaction was incredible. Anyway, this was the part I missed and had to watch the next day. Match was most memorable for a super hot crowd and Tazz's array of different suplexes.

After that I don't remember the order of the matches but The Acolytes went up against the New Age Outlaws in a fairly forgettable match, and Jericho, Chyna and Hardcore Holly faced each other in a pretty decent Triple Threat match.

There was the Dudleys v Hardy Boyz Tables match which at the time was just amazing to me (had only ever seen WWF and early 90s WCW at that point) and I believe it was the first step in the "extreme" series of matches between the two teams and Edge & Christian. (Though the Hardys and Edge & Christian did have a very good ladder match a few months earlier)

It also featured the Triple H/Cactus Jack Street Fight match which I'm sure you all remember so I don't even have to describe it. It was an awesome match and I've watched it at least 5 or 6 times since then.

Then came the Rumble. It was a very predictable Rumble. There were only 3 serious contenders: The Rock, The Big Show and Kane. A few days earlier on Smackdown, they had a mini-Rumble involving those 3 competitors and Kane won it. I wasn't into the internet wrestling site thing at the time, but even I had figured out that they had him win just to make him look like a credible contender, and I figured he hadn't got a chance of winning it. Memorable moments from the Rumble: Rock's promo from beforehand saying anyone was a serious threat to The Rock, even Crash Holly or Headbanger Mosh; the 3 members of Too Cool dancing in the ring, and then Rikishi eliminates his partners; Road Dogg spending most of the match curled up in the foetal position in the corner of the ring; Kaientai running down to the ring twice trying to enter the Rumble, and on the second time Taka is thrown from the ring and lands very awkwardly on his head; Lawler laughing at the replays of Taka bouncing his head off the mat; run-ins by the Mean Street Posse, particularly one of the funnies wrestling moments ever: Pete Gas runs down the aisle to slide into the ring and completely misjudges it and bounces his neck off the bottom rope which repels him back out. Here's a tip: if you can't even get in the ring properly, you probably won't make it as a wrestler. A couple of minutes later, Joey Abs has trouble being thrown over the ropes too and catches his head in the ropes; awaiting The Rock's entrance and every time the clock ran down, Lawler would say this has to be The Rock, it has to be, and every time it wasn't. And then, the time he doesn't say it, The Rock's music hits and the crowd goes crazy. It eventually ends up with The Rock and The Big Show being the final two. Show picks Rocky up on his shoulders and runs towards the ropes in an attempt to throw him out, but both men go over. But, The Rock had held on to the rope and skinned the cat back in. Big markout moment for me!

And then for the next few weeks, The Big Show tried to find evidence to show Triple H & Stephanie that The Rock's feet hit first (which they did). This lead up to the 4 man main event at WM2000. Anyway, as you may have ascertained from my rambling, I liked this event.

Of course, it did feature Mae Young's puppies.

Originally posted by Exit
    Here's a tip: if you can't even get in the ring properly, you probably won't make it as a wrestler.

Four years on, and not only does Ultimo Dragon VERY NARROWLY avoids a shockmaster, but ends up nearly falling off the rope as he poses. Think it's time to call it quits?

And you had to bring up Mae Youngs saggy tits didn't you? If you were unfortunate enough to have the R1 version, the censor sign didn't even cover it properly!

Taka seriously f*cked up his arm and if i recall correctly, Funaki did another run-in after that before the Posse came in, one of the Lawler replays, he adds in the sound effect *doink!* as he hits the floor in what has to be one of the funniest replays i ever saw!

That street fight was amazing, but i actually preferred their Hell In The Cell match the following month on No Way Out, probably because i've seen the Rumble match to death at this stage.

Nero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Yeah, Taka was out for a long time after that.

To be honest I felt sorry for Ultimo. WWE completely wastes him and his career and then he slips on the biggest stage of them all. Whereas, Pete Gas was a piece of crap.

And, yeah I've got the Region 1 version :(

Well after that rib ya did on me last week, you deserve all the punishment you can get! :P

I might get your brother to scratch the DVD so that the only part that'll play is Mae's saggy tits! :)

Ultimo has had no luck since he started with the promo. AJ Styles, please take note.
    Nero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭JippoKelly

WM 17 and RR 2000 are my favourite PPVs probably.They both rocked my panties at the time. :)

I also remember another WWE PPV. Benoit v The Rock headlined the PPV. I can't remember the name. Benoit had the title and he got screwed out of it for some reason, if I remember correctly. I liked that PPV a lot.

If Fully Loaded 2000 is what you're referring to, Benoit didn't win the title as the ref DQ'd The Rock? Foley then ordered the match to continue. The fans went nuts about this however but who ever won the belt on a DQ?

Brilliant match with the worst ever ending though as Benoit was squashed once the bell sounded again.

Actually if anyone has Fully Loaded 2000, can they send it my way for a couple of days? Please? Pleeeeeease? ;)

Nero

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

good ppvs after the WWF/E name change
    Summer slam 2002
    Survivor Series 2002
    Vengence 2003
    WMXIX (possibly)

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Survivor Series 2001 (end of the Alliance - sad in a way but a good show nonetheless)

Still think the best alliance era PPV was No Mercy of that year! Started off with one of the Hardys best no stipultaion matches agents Storm and the Hurricane (wow! Just dawned on me the irony in their names, Hurricane, Storm :) )

Anyway, it also had match of the year, Jericho V Rock. That was a lousy pic IMO. What about TLC2 or Rock and Austin? Then my fav main event of that year. Austin, Angle and RVD in a tripple treat match. Shire brilliance! Plus Austin had his Slayer like music back then. You know, the song u just had to head bang to!

Du nanananananananana DUN DUN

:)

Hanza

Best Alliance PPV? Survivor Series 2001 as the thing finally finished.
    Sorry, but they had the best setup for an angle with the buying of ECW and WCW and they dropped the ball, bigtime.

Nero

True! I think everyone is agreed on that.

But looking back on the PPVs now, the stories on RAW and Smackdown are trivial now and the wrestling involved in most of the matches were brilliant. Ive got a list of em, and Ive heard alot of people pay homige to them too.

Hanza

Advertisement