Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tool - Lateralus

• 16-03-2004 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭

read this link, it's about tool's lateralus album being written in some math sequence... fibbonaci or something heh

http://deepu.eroding.com/board/index.php?showtopic=2185

i'm going to give both new interpretations of the album a listen now, I'll post back with what I think.. getting goose bumps I am :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

haha sounds great!! doesnt really surprise me in the slightest.

gonna listen to it in that sequence too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Gonna have a read of it now,
    Hardly surprising, even when ya look at how Danny's drums are set out, mathematically calculated and so on... he does similar with grooves, monster! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

hmmm.

I bet that the Spice Girls were inspired by Escher. There was no way that anything they did could have physically existed yet somehow it did.

Read that now, altho the replies to it were nonsense, the original post is fantastic. A very interesting read, and has me planning to listen to the album like that when I go to bed tonight. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

arrrgghhh cant find my lateralus!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

listened to them both last night, only listened to 'the lateralus prophecy' once but i've listened to holy gift once or twice now, I love it :)

going to have to give the lateralusprophecy another try, but holy gift is just good :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

i heard abhoot this ages ago

my friends is a massive tool fan and he told me it
    i think you're supposed to arrange the album in a twiral arrangement or something
    and youre supposed to edit out all the silences after the songs

then the whole album is one big ass song
    didnt try it myself because i dunno how to edit out all the silences, but id say it would sound kewla bewla

i think its supposed to go in order like this:

Parabol
    Parabola
    Schism
    Ticks And Leeches
    Mantra
    Lateralus
    The Patient
    Dispostion
    Eon Blue Apocalypse
    Reflection
    The Grudge
    Triad
    Faaip de Oiad

that's one way, the lateralus prophecy

" 6,7,5,8,4,9,3,10,2,11,1,12,13 ("The Lateralus Prophecy")"

or "6,7,5,8,4,9,13,1,12,2,11,3,10 ("The Holy Gift")"

Holy gift is my fav so far, faiip de ooiad runs soo well into the grudge, haven't ripped it properly or edited out the silences between tracks yet.. but I will
    . I will..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Very interesting stuff. I only wish I knew how to edit out the silences so I could do it for myself.

cool edit pro? or some such audio editing tool

and you don't *need* the silences cut out, it's still pretty cool

• Advertisement

Working on it now as we speak, so far, 1400MB of uncompressed audio goodness! :D:D This better compress well, only got a 20GB HDD!!! :D

what are you using to do it and where did you get it? (pm) heh

1400mb? what did you do.. you didn't just rip it to wav that'd only use 700 megs or so..

Using Cool Edit Pro, selected file > open waveform > then the tracks 1 by 1, it did something to extract them itself. Did not save it as .ses file cuz would be 1700MB nearly, so exported as one big mp3! :) Beautiful it is! :D:D I may upload it to my netsoc space tomorrow and send you link if you wish.... No silences, everything plays together prefectly! :D

Froma bout 18:45 onwards you can click here to hear the Holy Gift.

don't have permission

:( I spent ages uploading that! And cant figure out why its not working! Perhpas our netsoc have something against large files being downloaded (seeing as we used to host full games etc on our accounts...) I'll see if I can sort it out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

all i can say is "WOW" and thanks very much to the orignal poster i welcome change to the metal board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Ai thats fukin deadly,thanks for pointin that out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭Cheez

Hey there,just found this on the toolshed site(toolshed.down.net)
    Which is a great site by the way
    Anyway its a book some dude made for his mah,opinional(is thah a wurd?)meanings of tools songs

http://www.vanillacircus.net/book/

thanx for the link to that book i was wondering if any1 knows a way to save it to ur hard drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    thanx for the link to that book i was wondering if any1 knows a way to save it to ur hard drive?

Is there not a "save" function on your Adobe reader?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 800 ✭✭✭dabhoys

****ing amazing the holy gift is. I must say that my massive respect for tool has gotten even bigger. Bring on the new album 2005 :) can't ****ing wait....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I love the stark-looking CD images in that book. I suppose if something's worth doing, its worth doing right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

just read that and it fried my brain, was cool hearing you talk about it and rearrange it but i need a spliif now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i've read similar stuff but that was the best example so far. i love tool. there's a dvd rumoured for this year, and of course an album for either the end of this year or the beginning of next year :D

i was wondering if there is any band dvd's off tool out there i know about the music vid one but i would really like something with a bit more info on the band

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Originally posted by thomasmckinless
    i was wondering if there is any band dvd's off tool out there i know about the music vid one but i would really like something with a bit more info on the band

i'm sure amazon has some unofficial stuff, but salival is really the only official dvd they have, though there is one in the works to be released later this year (supposidly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Arucard

oh
    my
    god - i mean tool - i mean - meh, whats the difference

thats amazing, tool just got even cooler, which i didnt think was possible
    i love how faaip de oiad runs into the grudge

tool - best band in the world

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

got my version all edited together, and there are some briilliant overlaps, such as parabola to schism, schism to ticks and leeches, the afore mentioned fiad to grudge, and i did some pretty decent overlaps for the rest, if i do say so myself ;)

however, I havent really picked up on any running 'story' in the lyrics yet, am I missing something?? some of it seems to make sense together, but not all of it....

Flogen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

its a good album alright.

Advertisement