Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xtravision Gobsheens

Options
  • 16-03-2004 8:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭

My wife bought a DVD in Xtravision a few weeks ago, the remake of Psycho. When we went to watch it last night we found that despite the case, the label on the DVD etc the film was actually the original Alfred Hitchcock version in Black & White not the recent version.
    We went back today to get an exchange and the guy behind the counter thought we were joking but we asked him to play it and verify it for himself. He was a bit surprised when he saw it but said we would have to come back later when the manager was there.
    The manager had never heard of Alfred Hitchcock. She is obviously working in the wrong industry. We asked her to see if any of the other DVDs were the same. They had one other in stock and it was the same.
    She refused to exchange it because we could not present a receipt ( I know, I know). I asked her why not as the DVD was obviously not the intended film as per the label. She said maybe every DVD that Universal Studios had released was faulty and why should she change it.
    I left before murder was committed. It it still murder to kill people like that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Silent Death
    It it still murder to kill people like that?
    Not in my universe.

Handiest thing you can do is drop Universal a line directly. I don't have an email or postal address but if you drop over here and post in the first forum on the main page someone will be likely to get you some contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Take scalp in one hand.

With a deft motion, lightly preen hair from skull, whilst trophy victim screams in agony.

Later, talk to coyote spirit guide about catharsis of scalping technique.

• Site Banned Posts: 197 ✭✭Wolfie

The original was soooo much better anyway! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Originally posted by sceptre
    Handiest thing you can do is drop Universal a line directly.

No - you have no contractual relationship with Universal. Your relationship is with the seller (Xtravision) and they hold the relationship with Unversal - it is up to Xtravision to manage this relationship appropriately.

I would hop back into the store and quote the Sale of Goods Act ('must be fit for the purpose sold'), Office of Director Consumer Affairs, Small Claims Court etc etc - Just make enough of a fuss to make it worth their while refunding your money. You don't HAVE to have a receipt in every case, though it does generally make things easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by RainyDay
    No - you have no contractual relationship with Universal. Your relationship is with the seller (Xtravision) and they hold the relationship with Unversal - it is up to Xtravision to manage this relationship appropriately.
    Indeed. However if he gets nowhere with the guy at the local Xtravision who can't read the painted writing on the disc, both Universal and MGM have had a history of sorting out faulty discs themselves (see posts in the link I provided). Obviously the handiest thing would be to get it sorted out where he bought it. If there's no proof of purchase whatever though (receipt, credit card docket, digital video of him buying the disc) Xtravision may be unlikely to want to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i wonder if it is the case that all the discs shipped were the same. if not, have u thought that maybe the disc u have might be worth a lot of money in a few years. if only a few with mistakes were produced then id hang on to it. keep it in plastic and file it away. then sell it in 20 years time when theres some big hitchcock anniversary or other whohaa and pay off your mortgage with the proceeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Try a phone call to the number below. Or an email. I have had issues with staff
    in xtravision before and there is a nice girl that helped me out in their CS department.
    I can't remember her name though but call and quote this thread.
    I bet the manager of the store gets a bolliking. I know the one at my
    local store did.
    Let us know how it goes.

Customer Service

iinfo@blockbuster.com

Phone
    (+3531) 452 7722

Xtra-vision Support Office
    Greenhills Road
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24
    Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

which branch is this btw. might pick up a copy myself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by DaithiSurfer

Customer Service

iinfo@blockbuster.com

Are Xtra Vision part of Blockbuster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Yes, Blockbuster acquired them a few years back, but kept the Xtravision brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Originally posted by Silent Death
    The manager had never heard of Alfred Hitchcock.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???????????????

What branch does she work in?

I feel like calling in and throwing a bucket of pig's blood over her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

I got satisfaction in the end. Although I was accused of "threatening her staff" by the manager just because I said if they didn't help me I would get it sorted out by the distribution manager in Dublin who I happen to know. I would have thought that escalation of a complaint to a higher level was a normal practice.
    If a manager can't run her branch without the intervention from head office she should give up.

I won't name the branch but I can't stop you looking at my profile and making an inteligent guess.:D

Advertisement