Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC Resets when CD/DVD burning and surfing

Options
  • 16-03-2004 9:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

My PC does the above. I can quite happily burn what ever I want - as long as I dont connect to the internet. Shortly after I do. Boink my pc resets itself. From memory this used to happen on my old pc too. Anyone else come across this?

I have XP pro. the old one ran W2k Adv server, diff burners. Both running nero as main burner software.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

In Control Panel, go to 'System', select the 'Advanced' tab, and deselect 'Automatically reboot'. This won't stop the problem, but it will at least show you an error message (most likely a STOP error), with which you can find out the cause or google the message.

It is what it's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

to much resources being used most likely. my old comp goes REALLY REALLY slow when burning a cd and trying to do anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

naaa doubt its a resources issue...Athlon XP3100+ with a gig of ram and WinXP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Instability can be caused by overclocking. And if memory recalls there ain't no XP 3100+ so you must be overclocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

indeed I am overclocking,(XP2500 barton really) but it happens at stock speeds as well. Also system is 100% stable apart from this.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Hmm... could be a memory problem, psu problem or DVD burner problem. Check the memory using memtest. Prime 95 to test number crunching ability of your cpu, but it's good as a psu test cos it draws more power when under full load.

What burner do you have? Could be firmware too. Try updating to the latest firmware.

Advertisement