Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What team is Currently the best in the world?

• 16-03-2004 10:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

I'm limiting this to some of the clubs still in the CL and one South American team.

Best Club side? 69 votes

Milan.
    0% 0 votes
    Real Madrid
    33% 23 votes
    Arsenal
    26% 18 votes
    Boca Juniors.
    40% 28 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

No Villa?? emm Guess I'l have to go with Madrid then:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

haha, that made me laugh.
    [chuckle]
    On a serious note, Nobby Solano, wow!

[/chuckle]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

For anyone who saw that post - I'm blind. AC all the way!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'd have to say Madrid. Imagine if all of those teams played each other in a 3-game competition, and each of them played to the absolute maximum of their potential. Real would win hands down. (I'm discounting Boca Juniors altogether). They simply have the greatest collection of players in the world, and if they, as a team, played to their full ability, nobody could touch them.

How often do they play to their maximum ability then? Well, I'd have to say about as often as the other 2, so overall, they're the best.

I, as some of you know, believe for the last 2 seasons Milan have been by far the best team in the world, they have (yet again) invented a enw form of playing (using an attack minded player to anchor the midfeild, Pirlo) and thier squad depth is astounding in all areas of the pitch, I mean thier back up keeper is italy's Second Choice, and Dida is an awesome keeper, even if he does have the odd moment of madness.

Thier defence is unmatchable, Maldini and Nesta are one of the best CB partnerships I have ever seen, and certainly the best in the world at the moment. and backup like Laursen, Costacurta (at 38 still a great player) Simic.

Cafu,Kaladaze,Pancaro,Sherginho or Simic as wing backs are all very good players.

Midfeild, Kaka, Rui Costa, Gattuaso, Ambrosini, Sherginho, Brocchi, Redondo and Seedorf, that's a quality selection.

Frowards, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Tomasson and the very promising pair of Marco Borriello and Nicola Pozzi, who have both come on leaps and bounds in the last few months.

All in all, no team can compete with milan this season, that's my firm belief, and a Scudetto and the retention of the Champions League at this season should confirm my faith.

p.s.

I will pick out who I believe are milans best players this seaso, in no order.

Seedorf , has his best ever season this year with milan, scored in the derby, scored two against Juve at the weekend and has been playing great all season, i think milan by far came out the better when they traded Cocco for seedorf, Inter should shoot themselves!

Kaka, has fitted into the team perfectly, amazing player, only 21, will get better and better with age.

Nesta, well, that's enough said really.

Maldini, probably the greatest left back of all time, and one of the best centre backs of all time too, endless talent, I believe he can outlast even Costacurta, Maldini till 2010 I say!

Shevchenko, has rediscovered the scoring form that he had in his first two seasons in the red and black, is once again proving himself as one of the best players in the world, finds space in the hardest areas, makes an inch look like 10 yards, and all whit what looks very little effort.

Pirlo, Anchelotti has made Andrea Pirlo one of Milans most important players by doing what most managers would never dream of, he has turned a great playmaker into a worldclass holding midfeilder, just as good as any in his posistion, but his ball control and vision give an extra layer to his play, his passes have been the key factor to Milans domination of Seria A this season.

In the Words of Arrigo Sacchi "'Milan attack like Brazil and defend like Italy, In terms of their attacking mentality they are more South American or Spanish, but in defence they have Italian orgnisation. Milan are the only team to play international-like football."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭The Phenom

Right now id say Arsenal and thats really hard for me to say cause im a Man U fan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

AC Milan won the CL last season, and they look even better this season. Milan.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭phenom

I will say milan as they have been in good form the last few months. I can see them doing well this season also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GreatKingRat

As an embarrassed Arsenal fan, I'd say AC and Madrid are untouchable.

The inclusion of Arsenal is a little premature, as we have yet to meet and beat any great teams of note. There is great potential, but please lads get a grip on yourselves (whoever hit the Arsenal vote - possibly the same guy 8 times?), there is a long way to go from frequently p'ing all over third-rate English teams to contending for a title like that.

Give it a few years of consistent success and achievements, and then it might make more sense. I've seen too many false dawns in my time. . . . . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Milan with Real 2nd, on the basis of the ability to defend.

Though I did give serious consideration to Arsenal. Promise...

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by GreatKingRat
    As an embarrassed Arsenal fan, I'd say AC and Madrid are untouchable.

The inclusion of Arsenal is a little premature, as we have yet to meet and beat any great teams of note. There is great potential, but please lads get a grip on yourselves (whoever hit the Arsenal vote - possibly the same guy 8 times?), there is a long way to go from frequently p'ing all over third-rate English teams to contending for a title like that.

Give it a few years of consistent success and achievements, and then it might make more sense. I've seen too many false dawns in my time. . . . . .

Totally have to agree with that! Arsenal are dominating domestically but its not the first time they've done that. They are not in the same class as the other 3 imo and won't be until they beat the likes of AC/Real and perhaps win the Champions League. This is a side remember who have had poor some poor results in this season's champions league (as well as good) against pretty average competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Diego and Robinho are the dogs - Boah all the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Coudnt see beyond Milan and Madrid.
    Still not convinced Arsenal would survive a depleted first team.
    They've been fortunate not to lose anyone of importance for any length this year, or it would have shown.
    They are playing well though, no question . . . why not include Celtic if beating poor opposition is the mark??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

The New England Patriots? ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I think Chelsea have the best squad in the world at the moment.

Arsenal are playing the best football in the world.

AC Milan are the best team.

Real Madrid will get found out soon enough. At least I hope so. They annoy me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

Although i don`t particulairly like them i voted for arsenal. henry, pires, viera and ljunberg are spectacular to watch.. i dont like milan at all tho im a big fan of seedorf, maldini kaladze and nesta.they play such boring football. barely ever score more than 2 goals in a game. last years CL final was cringeworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

madrid are a great side, but its their lack of motivation to actually start playing some good football thats letting them down, where as arsenal and milan seem fired up for every game they play!

madrid have scored somthing like 90% of all their goals in the second half of games. one fella said that if the all played to their potential then madrid would win hands down, but madrid rarely play to their full potential!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

I dunno about the full potential thing.

Arsenal V Madrid both playing their best stuff I see Arsenal winning 4 - 2. The Madrid defense is just poxy.

Player wise I reckon Reyes-Henry wins out over Raul-Ronaldo. I thing man for man Arsenal have the better midfield right now as well though it's close.

Arsenal's defense (as thin as it is) is far better than Real's. I could be biased, I just don't like Real. They just don't strike me as a proper football team, there is no balance. I'm convinced someone will hand them their ass in the Champs League at some point this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by AngelofFire
    i dont like milan at all tho im a big fan of seedorf, maldini kaladze and nesta.they play such boring football

Sorry, have you actually watched Milan this season?

Barring any complete (and I'm talking cataclysmic) screw-ups, Milan should bag the Scudetto and CL easily this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Ac milan.

Milan are probably the 'best' team but Arsenal play better football :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

As an attacking team, Madrid are the best. As a team, Arsenal would take Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'd have to say Arsenal.

All you "Milan are boring" mongs, go read The Editorial on Soccerage.com, and get a clue.
    People have a preconceived that Italian football is boring, where in fact Milan, roma and Juve are some of the top scoring sides in all of europe this seasnon, There have been very few 0-0 drwas in Seria A this year, in fact there have been more in england and spain.

STICK THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I think some of yee need to watch some south american and Argentinian football in particular , Boca are a class side and i beleive they are better than those other teams .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

I didnt say the serie A was boring i said Milan were. Im a roma fan myself and love the way they`ve been playing this season. they`ve scored the most goals and conceded the least this season in the serie a

And Milan beat Roma how may times in the space of 5 weeks this season?
    And how many gals did milan score?
    how many did J.D. Tomasson score, ffs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Milan are a boring side.
    In their first seven Champions league games this year they scored four goals.
    On route to last years final I think they scored 5 goals.
    That is a very low total.
    Italian football is too defensive.
    Its easy to say Italian defenders are great but that is due to the style of football they play .They are shielded by usually 3 defensive midfielders.
    Obviously if a team like Real commit more men forward than Milan there defence will be more vulnerable to breaks.
    In my opinion there is no outstanding one team.
    On any given day perhaps 5 or 6 teams could beat each other and vie for the crown of best team in the world.
    The most exciting team are Real Madrid.
    The Copa Del Rey last night was a fantastic match .
    Real lost but it was a great match.
    The first half was the finest 45 mins I've seen in a few years.
    2 teams commited to playing attacking football.

Actually, In milans first seven games they scored 8 goals.

Last season they scored 5 against Depor in one game, and they also have victrories over Real, Ajax, drwew 1-1 with inter, and had several other wins.
    Inzaghi was one of the top scorers in the CL last season before he got injured in last january.

You are making things up my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Actually, In milans first seven games they scored 8 goals
    Incorrect .
    They scored 4 goals in their first 7 games.
    2 goals at home ,two away.
    16/09/03 AC Milan 1 - 0 AFC Ajax
    01/10/03 RC Celta de Vigo 0 - 0 AC Milan
    22/10/03 AC Milan 0 - 1 Club Brugge
    04/11/03 Club Brugge 0 - 1 AC Milan
    26/11/03 AFC Ajax 0 - 1 AC Milan
    09/12/03 AC Milan 1 - 2 RC Celta de Vigo
    Then drew 0-0 in Prague.
    They then scored 4 goals in their eight game of the campaign against Prague.
    My stats for last year are very inaccurate allright though.
    Sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭[DF]Lenny

People often refer to certain leagues/teams as boring because they fail to commit to the suicidal type english football.As Man u found out and Arsenal the last season or so is that continental sides do not believe in the 'we'll have the ball for 1 min they kick it upfield to u'philosophy.Quite often we believe that top class soccer is about scoring the most the quickest way possible.The Italian teams have shaken off the calchio ethos in the past few seasons and now play the game with a mixture of both speed and tactical awareness.In this respect i believe they will once again prove their class.Arsenal are moving towards this but the premiership hampers them..Real on the other hand truly believe they are the harlem globetrotters of the soccer world and their unbalanced squad illustrates this imo.So its Milan for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Still can't believe loads of people have chosen Arsenal. While undoubtedly a good side, they struggle in Europe and I've not seen anything to suggest they won't struggle against a big team (performance against Celta was poor against a side in 18th in La Liga).

Its like saying Shelbourne will beat anyone in Europe because they did so well in the Prem Division last season. True they did, and yes Arsenal are doing well in England too but its not in the same class and until they take the step up I don't think they even deserve to be in this poll.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Real Madrid. Because they are better than the other three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

The Italian league is realy boring despite the amount of goals IMHO . AC Milan are not this perfect team that some people make them out to be either :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Dont Ban Me

Originally posted by phenom
    I will say milan as they have been in good form the last few months. I can see them doing well this season also.

Possibly, but I hate watching Italian football, its like watching a fullleague of Liverpool!! It doesnt get much more boring!! Bring back the olden days Italian footbal,, Van Basten, Gullit....

• Advertisement

"Player wise I reckon Reyes-Henry wins out over Raul-Ronaldo. ...I could be biased, I just don't like Real. They just don't strike me as a proper football team, there is no balance. I'm convinced someone will hand them their ass in the Champs League at some point this season."

Its still way too early to call on that Reyes-Henry partnership. This kind of giddy talk makes me nervous!!
    Raul-Ronaldo are in a different class to any partnership in Europe. Madrid make my stomach turn for their poaching of Galacticos, but reality is the R&R act have proved themselves. As much as I get excited seeing Henry on form, he hasnt done it at the level of club football that Raul has. Reyes and Ronaldo? Boys against Men. Time will tell though . . .
    That Madrid team is well beatable (even a mediocre Juve side who'd been well beaten by ManU put them out last year). If Arsenal do it, then maybe I'd feel more comfortable with agreeing they may have finally turned a corner. But for now, the European top 3 has got to be
    1. Milan
    2. Madrid
    3. Up for grabs now that ManU have withered a bit :)

By the way, is it possible that the same guy(s) are voting multiple times for Arsenal? It seems a little odd they're leading this.

Advertisement