Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormant Accounts

Options
  • 17-03-2004 2:53am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering how long (if any) is the set time an account must be dormant before it is deleted by the admins?
    I did a search through the members list (yes, Im bored) and found over 6,500 accounts with no posts, and following that there were another x amount of pages of accounts with 1 post, then 2 etc. etc.
    I get the feeling there is no set date, because if you go to the last page on the 'list by date registered' page, you can see one account with 0 posts, 3 with 1 post, and one with 2. Infact 9 out of the 17 are under 10 posts in their count... I figure there are just over 20,000 registered users. that means that well over 26% of the registered users are dormant accounts (and thats when dormant accounts refers to 0 post nicks, and nothing else)...yes...im really, really bored.

anyway, enough of that. the thing i propose is a set time before the account is deleted. Say its 1 year and a day. It could be regarding last log on (if you can monitor that) or last post (which would be better as it would mean the person must contribute or be removed..rather than lurk). Im sure within the accounts that have afew posts are many who just stopped coming, or got banned and never returned. I know that I have afew accounts (which i have spoken to ecksor about) which have been dormant up until recently fo numerous reasons (forgot one existed, forgot one password etc etc).

So what-dya say? a set time limit before your account is deleted from the members list??

or is this all part of the admins evil plans to make boards.ie look like it is used by tens of thousands of members when infact its just about 154...??? we're through the looking glass here people...

Flogen
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

I don't think they ever delete accounts. And maybe they shouldn't. Purely by coincidence I happened to search this user's posts just now. Go search them yourself and look at the dates he has posted on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

WOW.... three years.... thats one hell of a sabatical...

tbh id say this is in the minority though, and I still think that accounts left untouched for over a set period should be deleted... If they want to start posting again 3 years later they can re-register...

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

for once i actually agree with flogen.

deleting accounts more than a year old with 0 posts sounds like a good idea.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

We do get people who sign up and don't post for the first time for more than a year.

We might cull accounts at some point but they'll be people who failed to properly register rather than those who didn't post I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by ecksor
    We do get people who sign up and don't post for the first time for more than a year.

We might cull accounts at some point but they'll be people who failed to properly register rather than those who didn't post I think.

I agree with ecksor-eg my other half rarely posts- she hasn't posted for 8 months. She still uses boards though..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Flogen, you would appear to be one very bored man!
    we can help each other out here, you need something to do and I need a living room painted, what do ya say?

to keep on topic, I say, down with this sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by ecksor

Well those are the dead accounts of morons and we've got enough live morons as it is. :)

Many people do register properly and like to lurk before they post. If only more people did this then I think boards would be a happier place.

What about theelder, should we give him a year before deleting his account?

If it remains dormant... yes... ;)

Well the time could be more than a year... even two... but is there a way to see when they last logged on? that way you could delete those who arent even lurking... besides... there are people who registered in 1998 who havent once posted... dont you think they would have done it by now if they were going to?
    we can help each other out here, you need something to do and I need a living room painted, what do ya say?

well... i was bored last night... and had i seen your reply then I might have... but what with all the St Patricks Day brew-ha-ha I dont think I'd have the time.... sorry...

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by flogen
    I figure there are just over 20,000 registered users. that means that well over 26% of the registered users are dormant accounts (and thats when dormant accounts refers to 0 post nicks, and nothing else)...yes...im really, really bored.
    Members: 20,257

there are older memebers with only a handfull of posts , but probably browse boards. They shouldn't have their accounts deactiviated.
    Maybe cull the members that have 0 posts and have not logged on in 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Perhaps those users could be emailed a month or so before this [edit] proposed [/edit] cull? ("log in within the next 30 days or kiss your accont goodbye")

I think no logins within 2 years seems like a good threshold to set, it wont affect the lurkers, and gives the other "dead" users a month to reclaim their account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 krom kruak

Are you a busy body or what and if you think your not then what difference does it make to you if someone uses their account or not???

If i was in anyway busy I wouldnt have been sitting infront of my PC last night...
    And there are alot of things here that would make no difference to my life or others, its just a suggestion to make boards.ie more efficient/better/more pretty/happier/more handsome/something else, never said it would revolutionise the Internet experience or anything.

Flogen

Originally posted by flogen
    If i was in anyway busy I wouldnt have been sitting infront of my PC last night...
    And there are alot of things here that would make no difference to my life or others, its just a suggestion to make boards.ie more efficient/better/more pretty/happier/more handsome/something else, never said it would revolutionise the Internet experience or anything.

Flogen

Re-read my post again pollyanna, I asked wether you are a "busy body" not just "busy" and my definition of a "busy body" is a someone who interferes or meddles in things which do not concern them or have no effect on them.

And unused logins have absolutley no impact on your or anyone else's use of the boards!

ok, we'll do a deal, I'll re-read your post if you re-read mine...
    No I dont consider myself busy, not at the moment.. or a busy body for that matter.

what I said was:
    there are alot of things here that would make no difference to my life or others, (as in, they dont directly concern me) its just a suggestion to make boards.ie more efficient/better/more pretty/happier/more handsome/something else, never said it would revolutionise the Internet experience or anything.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Get a room... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Originally posted by krom kruak

And unused logins have absolutley no impact on your or anyone else's use of the boards!

They take up names.
    I for one know I have a 3 year old account which I never posted on but I think I messed up my email address so therefore I couldnt use the name I originally wanted.
    I think thats what happened.

So krom, before you open your mouth please know what you're talking about.

Originally posted by Sangre
    They take up names.
    I for one know I have a 3 year old account which I never posted on but I think I messed up my email address so therefore I couldnt use the name I originally wanted.
    I think thats what happened.

So krom, before you open your mouth please know what you're talking about.

So you're an idiot who can't handle an email account. Also, it's what u post and not the name u post behind that matters

Ok, both of you stop that right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Yeah well done.

I proved you wrong and now you're mad.

Better run for the hills...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

How did you get all your posts back Sangre?

STICK TO THE TOPIC!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes excellent idea. All dorment accounts should be culled along with duplicate accounts. The 2 year threashold with no posts should be used as the benchmark for the cull.

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

There's more to boards than just posting. Some people could literally go for years without posting and use the account for pming, the arcade or just to browse boards.

hence the idea of deleting an account that hasnt been logged into in a set amount of time... say 1 or 2 years.

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

time > sense

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

I say leave them dormant..

who knows... someone who has registered 2 years+ (or whatever) and never used his/her account could get saved one day ... and decide to get involved in boards and post.

<rant>
    similar example is voting: there are number of people around ireland that are registered to vote... but never vote... just because they dont vote... and someone thinks its "more efficient/better/more pretty/blah blah blah"... to remove their vote... its oks...?? :dunno:
    </rant>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

There's more to boards than just posting. Some people could literally go for years without posting and use the account for pming, the arcade or just to browse boards.

Then send the "you have X amount of days to confirm your account e-mail" - problem sorted.

• Advertisement

time > sense

i dont get it....

Flogen

Advertisement