Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dormant Accounts

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by flogen
    i dont get it....

Flogen
    No you don't do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

more time than sense...

(nerrrrrrrrrrrd!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

i dont get it....

Flogen

I believe this describes your entire boards experience. Well done flogen; The first step is realising you have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

You need an account to play the arcade games, many non-posters may be using this facility, indeed I don't recognise many names in the arcade hi scores as regular posters.

So you could be quite actively using boards and not posting. The same for PMing or even just reading.

I registered, posted once or twice, didn't come back for ages and then posted alot more (ALOT more).

If you register an account and forget thepass or something, maybe contact an admin to free it?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I propose that Dev confiscates all the money in the dormant accounts and use it for hte next* mods beers. Damn, there is no money .....

* Well first to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

syke, thats why it should stand for LOG INS, so if someone doesnt log-in for over 1 or 2 years their account is deleted, or they are given afew days to log-in before its deleted.
    quote:
    i dont get it....

Flogen

No you don't do you?

No.
    more time than sense...

(nerrrrrrrrrrrd!)

Oh, wait. I do now.
    I believe this describes your entire boards experience. Well done flogen; The first step is realising you have a problem.

I was actually just refering to DeVs post, I got the hang of boards.ie a while back, but thanks for your concern anyway... its good to know people care.

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I got the hang of boards.ie a while back,

You really do believe that, dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Dustaz, leave the poor guy alone. He just wants to become a mod. That is what boards is about. Every week post up a suggestion for a new board and some day your dream will come true. The exclusive mod board is nearly within his grasp.

Hark, i can see it, past yonder hills...... Brazil...

yes Dustaz I do, how you getting on yourself? what do you think of my original idea?? any different than what you seem to think of me?

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

what have dormant accounts ever done to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Wont somebody please think of the children!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

90+% accounts that are over a year old and haven't been posted on will never be posted on. If someone decides to come back 2 years later and his a/c is gone, i'm sure hit wouldn't be too much of a problem to re-register.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

i reckon if they haven't logged into boards in a set period of time then they should be deleted cuz thats means that the people who just browse boards and don't post won't get deleted cuz they'll be logging in. there ya go problem solved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

You don't have to log in to browse.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by Exit

unless you have a subbed menu, which is all I ever use

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Originally posted by Exit
    You do to send PMs, play games and see who is online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭Exit

Yes, yes you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hmm, most people seem to just be reading the first post, then replying, i think this is a great idea, as all those unused accounts are using up boards.ie's server space, correct?

Id say they are Raphael, and even if its only afew kb per account, there are thousands of dormant ones which are probably not even being browsed on... it all adds up

Flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

They're using up hundreds, possibly thousands, of kilobytes! Something must be done!! Has anyone got an old floppy disk lying about? Quick, before the server goes down!

Chill out guys... the spam on this thread has probably used up as much space as 20 dormant accounts.

• Advertisement

yes, but there are probably thousands of dormant accounts, as i said. it all adds up, who knows, there could be a megabite worth of stuff!!!!

seriously though, it does take up some space, it, as sangre pointed out, could possibly take up a nick, there is no need for un-unused (used is including those just logged into) accounts, and if someone comes back 2 years after registering to find their account gone, they can just re-register. It might help people who are looking for a certain user, the name of which evades them, if there is only 500 pages of names rather than 770+.... as the great John R. Tesco once said 'every little helps'

Flogen

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Let's not argue about disk space. It's irrelevant and frankly nobody's problem but ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just came across a thread with someone wanting to change their name to JC but
    it was already taken. I think this is a prime example of an a/c that shud be recycled.
    JC's stats r 1 post since registering in 2001, but funnily enough his post was from 2000.Appologies if JC is a silent member, not picking on you, just happened upon it.

JC

11-12-2000 13:45

i think the use of nicks can be quite a problem, as stekelly pointed out.
    And it will give a proper reflection of the amount of users here, and make it easier to search through them

Flogen

Advertisement