Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anything about Europe-on-line

• 17-03-2004 5:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know anything about Europe-on-line? www.europeonline.com

They provide satellite internet, it seems you can get every thing you need for about €200/year, which is a lot cheaper than most of the ones i've seen (equipment and instilation alone cost over €1000).

Just curious to find out if they are any good or if anyone has used them.

Cheers.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to Broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I use it for the filefetch service, for the "edsl" component, i dont use as have netsource, however most ppl i know that use it say its pretty good since the eutelsat move.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Cheers Longfield!!
    One last thing, is it easy to set up the satellite, ie. get it pointing in the right direction.
    Just wondering cause I've never put up one before.:confused:

its not that hard, signal is nowhere near as strong as for sky , so needs a bit more fine tweaking, would definaltly recommend a 80cm dish , though know some ppl in the uk and irl with 60cm aka sky dishes..but that would be a right bítch to align correctly imho.I use an old sky analog 80cm dish with digital lnb.

If yer in Dublin i could help ya set it up if ya like. If its the first time setting up a dish..would recommend that you get a pro to do it, i'd recommend "Tony" that posts to the satellite forums, really nice guy and will do a proffessional job for you if he services your area.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭limpdd

Cheers dude, I live in the south east and I know a guy who installs Sky and cable stuff so with any luck he should be able to get me sorted:D

One last thing, Longfield you said some of your friends use this, do you know what sort of speeds they are getting for surfing and D/L?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

@limpdd: I've been using europe online since january and given that theres no other option available to me and that my expectations were not high initially, i'm relatively pleased with it.
    Firstly, if you have any experience with regular DSL broadband, then one way sat broadband is not comparable. I find surfing to be a little bit faster - it can be great for small downloads (but not always - its unpredictable as to when you get crap speeds although mainly at peak times). Because of the small cap (1Gb per month), larger file downloads are more or less out of the question. You can buy additional data transfer allowance but imo, its not worth it for the price they charge.

Setup is fairly straight forward - theres not much else to watch on eutelsat so you may want to look at having a motorised setup so that you can at least move the dish to more interesting locations for tv viewing. The Skystar2 card will run a diseqc motor (just about). If you get the skystar from europeonline, you will have to have it 'unlocked' for tv viewing purposes, but thats something that can be sorted out later and theres plenty of info on how to do it.
    If you have any problems with setup, just post back here and someone will have a solution for ya. Their customer support is crap but theres enough support via newsgroups/forums/boards to get you through. I paid up for the year and for €99 euro i can say that its worth it. Just dont have high expectations as its not broadband as it should be ...but if your in the same situation as me, then you'll find that its better than plain old dialup alone!

hth

@Longfield: maybe you could walk me through setup on filefetch sometime?
    This is one thing i havnt got round to sorting out - i made a couple of half-arsed attempts but didnt have the time to sort it.

Do you mean FFM etc ? , drop me a mail ..chinookATutvinternetDOTcom..not really a topic for discussion here *ahem*

Advertisement