Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in remote areas?

Options
  • 17-03-2004 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Someone i know lives out in the sticks (remote area of cavan) and wants to get broadband... But i think it will be a while before it runs past hist house... :-)

are there any other options available to him? satallite or watever?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

One way satellite via europeonline.net or cpsat.co.uk - but satellite is far from broadband as most know it.
    Digiweb will be providing wireless broadband internet in Viriginia as part of a BMW funded scheme.
    Cavan town is dsl enabled.

Otherwise, he should consider getting involved in irishwan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

The NI government has a plan to supply Universal BB to its population by 2005, including those in Remote areas of Fermanagh .

I would keep a close eye on this project if I lived along the Border or if I had had LINE OF SIGHT to a town such as Belcoo or Lisnaskea where there may soon be Base Stations for Wireless kit.

I would also look at Irishwan as it is quite possible that an NI neighbour in a position to benefit from the NI scheme will have to supply the Southern cousins using Irishwan type kit and along Irishwan principles of sharing backhaul .

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 silver surfer

yeah - check out digiweb.ie, they're based in Dundalk so should be no problem taking a spin up to Cavan. They have to fit a dish as it is a Satellite system, and therefore a bit more expensive.

Cheers.

Advertisement