Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom changing IP address while online

• 17-03-2004 10:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I'm on Eircom's Home Plus DSL product and along with a friend of mine we've started playing co-op Ghost Recon. Generally the game is great and we use Ventrilo for voice comms etc. He's also on Eircom Home Plus.

Now here's my problem:
    It seems that after about an hours playing time, Eircom suddenly decides to change my IP address! Needless to say that this results in my friend being dropped from the Ventrilo server I'm running and the Ghost Recon game I'm hosting. I know my ip address has changed because after he get's dropped I check my router and it reports that I have a new IP address. If I text him the new ip address then he can reconnect no problem. However the bad part is that we have to restart the Ghost Recon mission we're on, which is very frustrating:mad:

Dynamic IP addressing I can live with, but not this dynamic!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭ando

your routers disconnecting/desyncing with the exchange. could possibly be your lines condition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

go to the dos prompt and type

ipconfig /all

it will tell you when your IP address will expire. Most DHCP servers are set to 3-4 days lease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

It is not dhcp-ppp assigns the ip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 XcellorV2

Originally posted by ando
    your routers disconnecting/desyncing with the exchange. could possibly be your lines condition

I second that... Had a problem with my phoneline that was causing DSL to cut out every 5-15 minutes... Sometimes it would stay on longer... reported the fault to Esat BT but they just sat on it (escalated it ;P). So we got in contact with Eircom and dealt with them directly, reported the fault and an engineer came out. He isolated that the problem was actually on the pole a house down from us...

You should not be given a new IP unless you are not using the connection... but if you are actively using the connection you should hold onto that IP.

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Thanks for the replies so far, but I think I can discount the line condition. The reason I can do that is that I've stayed online downloading files for hours on end (at 50-55k download rate), in between the times I've played Ghost Recon with my friend. This only seems to happen when I'm playing a game that I host. Also it doesn't happen whenever I play Battlefield 1942 on one of the normal dedicated servers on the internet, and I've played that for hours;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just on that point - does anyone know if there are safeguards in place on the ISP side to prevent people running servers over their DSL connection?

Also a stab in the dark - are their any firewall programs which will deliberately release and renew an IP address if they detect a persitant external connection to a machine?

Originally posted by Skittle
    I've stayed online downloading files for hours on end (at 50-55k download rate), in between the times

doesn't mean sqwat blink.gif I also get full download speeds but also get disconnected around 20 times a month according to DslStats. You do know that when you disconnect/reconnect that you get a different IP... thats what your problem is, your connection is dropping

look at my dsl stats so far for March (attached)

already been disconnected at least 10 times but I havent noticed it disconnecting (so far !)

each time I got a different IP when the router reconnected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have to say it does appear to be a line problem. When i used eircom , the only time my IP ever seem to change was on reconnection, if its happening when you are in the middle of using it frequently , strongly suspect a line or maybe exchange problem.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

When Eircom force a disconnect for administrative reasons (usually done after midnight), the DSL connection itself doesn't get brought down, just the PPP session. Depending on your router, you may be able to check how long the DSL connection has been up (which may be much longer than that shown in dslstats.eircom.net.)

If the DSL line itself is repeatedly going offline, then that indicates a dodgy line connection.

Another thing to check: some routers can get overwhelmed by large numbers of packets (especially upstream UDP packets) and start discarding packets to try and keep up. PPP connections usually send an echo request every few seconds to check that the link is still alive, and if several consecutive echo requests are discarded, the PPP connection is brought down and then up again. This will often (though not always) cause a new IP address to be assigned.

This was happening to a friend recently, and he fixed it by changing the PPP settings so that 1,000 consecutive dropped echo requests were required before the line would disconnect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

ando is right - get a BT file that takes 3-4 days to download and you will see when you get a new IP - the download drops to 0KB and it takes ages before your back up to speed:rolleyes:. There is very little you can do about this other then paying €ircon for a fixed IP (€65 or something like that I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    There is very little you can do about this other then paying €ircon for a fixed IP (€65 or something like that I think).
    That won't stop him from getting disconnected.

are everybody else getting disconnected on a regular basis??? If you check your dsl stats you can see. Im wondering if its normal for this to happen

He is getting disconnected when he gets the new IP - he has a fixed IP he wont be disconnected.

He is getting disconnected when he gets the new IP - he has a fixed IP he wont be disconnected.
    That's not the case, it's probably something with the line/exchange.
    Why would an ISP disconnect someone to change an IP address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

No, he's getting a new IP address when he reconnects - he'd still be disconnected if he had a fixed IP address, he'd just reconnect with the same IP address.

The changing IP address isn't the problem - it's only a side effect of the problem. The key question is why is he being disconnected.

Oh my God:rolleyes:, his friend is getting disconnected he hard wires an Ip into the game that is no longer a game server - cause the poster has a new IP address. Easy enough?;).

Oh my God:rolleyes:, his friend is getting disconnected he hard wires an Ip into the game that is no longer a game server - cause the poster has a new IP address. Easy enough?;).
    So you want to treat the symptom, rather than fix the problem.

Of course next week, when he decides that he needs to use a session based application, he'll still be screwed by the disconnects, even if he has a permanent IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, wouldn't it solve of the problem if he got a dyndns account? Then his IP would always be accessible through thisismyip.dyn-dns.org. So for game servers, all he'd have to do is hit reconnect.

That would have to be an intermediate measure, until his ISP gets the disconnecting/reconnecting problem sorted.

LOL, I originally^^ said there was nothing he could do about it unless he wanted to get a permanent IP - all you guys waffled on about this and that to stop his disconnections and none of it would have helped his friend cause once he has a new IP it doesn't matter to his friend that he is still connected - his friend still has to be told the new IP to connect to the game server.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    Well, wouldn't it solve of the problem if he got a dyndns account? Then his IP would always be accessible through thisismyip.dyn-dns.org. So for game servers, all he'd have to do is hit reconnect.

I cant see how this solution would work if it is based on dynamic dns. It takes time for dns to replicate

That would have to be an intermediate measure, until his ISP gets the disconnecting/reconnecting problem sorted.
    Yeah, that'll happen. Honestly rolleyes.gif

I cant see how this solution would work if it is based on dynamic dns. It takes time for dns to replicate
    DNS doesn't "replicate". A DNS server for a given domain tells querying servers how long the DNS record is good for. This querying server then caches that answer for however long it was told that the address would be "good". In the vast majority of cases, this is set to days (or even weeks). The whole point of Dynamic DNS services is that the "timeout" is set to minutes or even seconds, so that when you ask your local server for the address again, it sees that the answer has timed out, and goes to look it up again.

The reason Dynamic DNS services work is because it's the originating DNS server that specificies how long the address will be good for, so your local DNS server will cache the address for www.microsoft.com for 1 hour, for www.boards.com for 1 day, www.dyndns.org for 10 minutes, etc.

LOL, I originally^^ said there was nothing he could do about it unless he wanted to get a permanent IP - all you guys waffled on about this and that to stop his disconnections and none of it would have helped his friend cause once he has a new IP it doesn't matter to his friend that he is still connected - his friend still has to be told the new IP to connect to the game server.
    that's what Dynamic DNS services are for - you get to keep the same DNS name even when your IP address changes - it's a lot cheaper than wasting your money on a fixed IP address.

(It always amuses me to be accused of "waffling" by someone who doesn't even know how the internet works :) )

Yeah, that'll happen. Honestly rolleyes.gif
    Ando, what's with the URLs? Is there something wrong with the smilies that boards provides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Hi Guys,
    Me again the original poster. Thanks for all the replys! I have started using the dyndns.org site, but it only allows ou to update the DNS server every 10 minutes which isn't good enough for the game. I'll try another tact, my router is a D-Link 504 and it's 3 versions behind the latest firmware, so I'll try flashing the firmware and se how it goes. If I screw up the firmware flashing, then it's bye bye router and bye bye internet:eek:

So fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Would STRONGLY suggest that you read everything on http://shadow.sentry.org/~trev//dsl50x.html before flashing the firmware on this, have one of those routers myself, and this site is pretty much the web bible for it imho :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Me again the original poster. Thanks for all the replys! I have started using the dyndns.org site, but it only allows ou to update the DNS server every 10 minutes which isn't good enough for the game.
    They used to allow lower settings than that.

Try some of the other providers on this list

I have started using the dyndns.org site, but it only allows ou to update the DNS server every 10 minutes which isn't good enough for the game.
    no-ip.org puts 60 second TTLs on the A records.
    You can update them whenever you like. It's free also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Will not the connection momentarily hang when the other computers have to make the fresh dns request, causing latency spikes? I assume these dynamic dns servers are in the US, so you're looking at maybe a +300ms jump. I'm no ping obsessed gamer, but I'd imagine that sort of thing pisses them off. The shorter the TTL becomes, the more frequest the spikes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

No, the thing is once a computer is connected to an address (like www.boards.ie) it doesn't requery the DNS server.

And, if his connection drops, his IP resets, so yes, there will be a delay while the DNS updates.
    BUT anyone playing on a server on his computer will be dropped the second his internet goes down. So, if they wait 60seconds after dropping, they'll be able to reconnect normally. No ping spikes

Advertisement