Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom changing IP address while online

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by MrPinK
    Will not the connection momentarily hang when the other computers have to make the fresh dns request, causing latency spikes? I assume these dynamic dns servers are in the US, so you're looking at maybe a +300ms jump. I'm no ping obsessed gamer, but I'd imagine that sort of thing pisses them off. The shorter the TTL becomes, the more frequest the spikes.
    The only reason you'd want to set the TTL that short is because you're trying to deal with the symptom of a system that disconnects totally a couple of times a day.

Even with dynamic DNS, hiding the symptom, and ignoring the underlying cause of the problem is just a cosmetic exercise. If you sort out the frequent disconnects, then you don't need a 60 second TTL. A Dynamic DNS service can be useful, even if you get a new IP address only once a month.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    No, the thing is once a computer is connected to an address (like www.boards.ie) it doesn't requery the DNS server.
    That really depends on the application - some applications will make frequent DNS lookups, some won't. (Though a TCP based application, that opens a session and keeps it open for the duration, should only need to make a DNS lookup when it opens the connection).

If the application being described here can survive an actual reset of the DSL connection, then it's not using a session based protocol, so it probably does make frequent DNS lookups.

(Of course, if the server PC doesn't even know that it's IP address has been reset, it's not going to know to update the DNS record automatically - it will still require manual intervention).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd assume that the Dynamic IP will be entered into the server, so the server will know the IP changed as soon as the DNS knows its changed.

Either way, this is still only a temporary solution, and it really needs to be fixed at eircoms office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Ripwave
    (It always amuses me to be accused of "waffling" by someone who doesn't even know how the internet works :) )
    Good lord the router is showing this guy "disconnects" when he gets a new IP in reality thats not what happening the ADSL line is still up its just he is being given a new IP (He has NO CHOICE about this he WILL get a new IP with any of the res services - every 24 hours or so). Now what I was saying is that the only way to fix this "problem" was to get a permanent 'line' which his friend can use so that he knows were the server is; I mentioned fixed IP cause it was the first thing I though of dyndns is also a solution but it does the same thing - they both solve his problem.

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I'd assume that the Dynamic IP will be entered into the server, so the server will know the IP changed as soon as the DNS knows its changed.
    . Normally, a dynamic DNS client running on the PC tells the dynamic DNS server what the new IP address is when it boots up (or goes online, for a dialup connection). But if the PC is behind a NAT firewall, then the PC might not even know that it's IP address has changed. So you'd have to trigger the update manually (or run some kind of process that kept checking to see if the service was down).

Some DSL routers support dynamic DNS services, but I don't remember off hand whether the 504 does.

Either way, it makes sense to fix the disconnects, rather than wasting money on a fixed IP address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but the router IOL ship has built in Dyndns.org capabilities... You don't even have to run an app... Zytel 630 Prestige? I think...

X

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Good lord the router is showing this guy "disconnects" when he gets a new IP in reality thats not what happening the ADSL line is still up its just he is being given a new IP (He has NO CHOICE about this he WILL get a new IP with any of the res services - every 24 hours or so).
    Now who's waffling? He's not being forced to take a new IP address. He's being disconnected, and when he reconnects, he's asking for a new IP address. The server can't force a new IP address onto a client that doesn't ask for one, it can only disconnect the client, and force the client to ask for a new one.

(Though if he's not getting the same IP address most of the time, then that suggests that there's something odd about the way addresses are being allocated. maybe it's all those "always on" routers that eircom and IOL are giving out!)

Originally posted by Ripwave
    Now who's waffling? He's not being forced to take a new IP address. He's being disconnected, and when he reconnects, he's asking for a new IP address.
    Everyone is being disconnected every 24 hours and they get given a new IP because thats how they measure the cap, difficult?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Everyone is being disconnected every 24 hours and they get given a new IP because thats how they measure the cap, difficult?.
    What are you basing this on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Guys, just a quick post to let you know that the firmware flash was successful.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

do you mean you flashed in the new firmware successfuly, or that the new firmware successfully reolved the problem?

Hopefully option B.

Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    What are you basing this on?
    Sorry surely you know that the cap is adjusted everytime a session ends?, they know that ppl have routers which could stay on for months on end (except my crashing piece of hot crap:rolleyes:), so if you are on for more then 24 hours (its about that) PPP goes down and you get given a new IP - if you haven't broken the cap :ninja:. Hey Skittle what fw version do you have?, it seems as if there is a version 8 out (b18uk) for our router but I can't find it on the D-Link site, have you had any luck? - I'm using b14uk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Skittle

Ok, in answer to the first question: The firmware update was successful, I haven't checked whether it fixed the problem yet as I haven't pplayed again with my friends.

OfflerCrocGod: I flashed the firmware up to version 14uk and I have the 18uk firmware files if you want them. PM me with your email address and I can send them on.

Also after flashing the firmware I noticed that the router wouldn't connect on demand any more. I set the Connect on Demand to disabled, save the changes, set it back to enabled, save the changes and now it works again. Did you have this problem OfflerCrocGod?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Sorry surely you know that the cap is adjusted everytime a session ends?
    Yes, but I didn't ask how they calculated it.
    What are you basing this 24 hour disconnect on? Or is it just some theory you have and you're trying to pass it off as fact?

I didn't have that problem personally but other ppl on the boards have had it (past threads/posters commented on it), anyway thanks for the offer but I heard that NAT was fu5ked in 18uk fw so I dont want it(I was hoping that it had been updated but D-Links site shows no update).
    Originally posted by Frank Grimes
    Yes, but I didn't ask how they calculated it.
    What are you basing this 24 hour disconnect on? Or is it just some theory you have and you're trying to pass it off as fact?
    My router logs, PPP is brought down and then brought up again leaving me with a new IP address, it's ham-fisted but its nothing do with me; as 4 the 24 hours I dont know the exact length of the lease but its around that. Otherwise ppl with routers would be able to smash the caps cause they never disconnect.

Advertisement