Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Modem

• 17-03-2004 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how many ethernet ports are on the new iol modem, as i have 2 pc's and want them both to be connected to it. If it has more than one will the modem allow file sharing between the 2 pc's?
    thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

theres one ethernet port, but a usb connection too, so i guess you could put one in ethernet and the other in USB (like what xbox gamers do).

As for file sharing, i have no idea.... never tried it....

Flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 XcellorV2

I'm not sure how successful you will be using both USB and LAN socket as previously suggested. But it may work...

If you are wanting to share the connection between two or more computers my suggestion would be to get a cheap hub 10mbps job. Plug the router into that and then just plug your computers into the hub. That's how I have it configured here. Works great... Have 6+ computers sharing the DSL.

I always found using USB connection was a bit unreliable

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

It does work but the pc to modem conncetion on both usb and ethernet dies after a while if you have them connected for too long, according to the iol rep i spoke to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

aye I have 2 computers , one connected via usb one via ethernet , works but as truckle said You get disconnected the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Ok thanks, I was thinking of getting a netgear (like the DG834) modem/router with a built-in firewall but they're a bit expensive, is there a netgear router available with a built-in firewall which i could connect the iol modem to. As this would sort my problems and wouldn't be as expensive,
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Get one of those -> http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120287&cks=FRO and connect your modem up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Truckle
    Get one of those -> http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=120287&cks=FRO and connect your modem up to it.
    Nice price, but centr15 should know that he will probably have to reconfigure the IOL modem to run in "bridge mode" to get everything working.

Given some of the posts about the IOL modem recently, using a different router (wirelss like the one about, or slightly cheaper for a wired device) is probably a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Thanks but it's a bit expensive, there were a few good modem/routers on ebay for ~€60 i might go for one of them, i dont need wireless so there's no point paying extra for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by center15
    Thanks but it's a bit expensive, there were a few good modem/routers on ebay for ~€60 i might go for one of them, i dont need wireless so there's no point paying extra for that.
    If you want a new router, you could trythis for about €50, but if you probably only need a hub or switch. Marx Computers in Fairview have an 8 port swithc for €35.

If you do want a whole new modem, they also have a modem with a 4 port switch for €70 (if they have any left).

Advertisement