Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Battlefield Vietnam be new king?

Options
  • 17-03-2004 12:34pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Having read all threads over on the BF forum and many other forums,sites etc i wonder just how big this one is gonna be?
    The new gfx engine apparently rocks,i assume BF already superb netcode stays intact?
    Having first cast doubt about it and thinking its just the same as eve of destruction [free mod] it now looks to be a very different monster.
    Really looking forward to taking this baby online with my new system specs :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I cast my mind back to when BF first came out, and its terrible terrible net code.

I'm looking forward to it, however some people have cast their grievences about it after already playing it. The biggest complaint is the chopper controls, but imo if DC had never come out people would have nothing to complain about it.

Some people just say its not their bag, which is fair enough. It will be better than BF and DC though ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

im a bit worryed about heat seeking weapions tbh sounds like dumbing down to meh........point.....shoot.........death.....move on

Patches and updates will change it all.
    I remember some of the awful things that were wrong with BF 1.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The chopper controles are a bit fiddley but once you learn them thers no problem,you can just hover for as long as you want just by pressing the up key for a second until you get the right height,so it's way easier to capture flags.And you won't always get a hit with the heatseeking missles,2 will take out a chopper tho.the bots are still as stupid as ever but they are a good shot with the rifles.

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I'd say BF1942 will be better for a while yet. Purely because of all the patching and the mod support. I think that's why the developers don't like to call BF Vietnam a sequel but more something that stands alongside the original game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭ReefBreak

Is BF Vietnam a standalone or an add-on? If it's a standalone, I may buy it (my first BF game). I've had Operation Flashpoint for a while now, I think I need to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

its a standalone

the heatseekers will be interesting though as it won't be as easy for planes to come in and rape a base, heatseekers on chopper though is a bit unfair as they aren't that hard to hit anyway we'll see how it goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Personally I think the Onslaught mode in UT 2004 has made the Battlefield games redundant. Lacks the realism aspect but so much more fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Standalone.

It runs like crap on my machine. I can play UT2k4 Demo at 1600x1200. I struggle with BFV at 1280x

XP2200, 1Gig Ram, 9700 Pro, SATA Drive.

XP2200, 1Gig Ram, 9700 Pro, SATA Drive.

what it runs bad on that set up :eek:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bizmark
    what it runs bad on that set up :eek:

I wont say bad, but hardly good. Even at this lowish res - I have to turn down spec level to meduim - whereas UT2K4 runs well at 1600x1200 all details full. Im not talking AA etc - just pure detail settings.

i doubt its a hardware issue though as your setup is fine perhaps some driver optimisation will sort it out

Give me more info - and ill try.

I have plenty newish games - and 95% of them run with no glitches.

sorry i was referring to a new driver release that will possibley fix any known issues in vietnam is if there is going to be a problem on lots of machines and at high resolutions.

i should be getting it tomorrow i'll let you know how it plays on my rig then.

data

Your setup is a fair bit better ... so should be.

its not that much better imo and you have an extra half gig of ram which i would have thought would be nice for vietnam but we'll see how it goes

Ye, perhaps I was a bit too leniant with the fair word ....
    OK - bits ....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Just come from a few different game servers i frequent regularly [dod,cod,BF,FH] and many guys have vietnam and are telling me not to waste my money :(

Dont believe the anti-hype!

:dunno:

Originally posted by Dcully
    Just come from a few different game servers i frequent regularly [dod,cod,BF,FH] and many guys have vietnam and are telling me not to waste my money :(

Bah their die hard players they just need time to get used to the new game.......Happens all the time "Er that doom 3 was **** compeared to doom on the snes im telling ya" etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I hate the "fish eye" view. Bf original used to have the camera back a bit in first person to simulate peripheral vision.
    I dont like the rest of the game enough to put up with that ****. And the rest of the game is good.

Its rock hard to see stuff at a distance aswell (thats why everyone has binoculars;)) So its a choice between running around with fish eye and binocs and getting wasted by someone you cant see or finding a nice bush with the sniper rifle.

Its a real pity because they got the grahics and sound
    so right :(

Wait for the demo before partin with cash on this one;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

yup i reckon thats what i'll be doin alright with some of the reviews here. I'm sure it could be really good but i'll just wait till a demo comes out anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

nah i dunno now, dc is better. I have been playing Vietnam for a few days now and still find myself up for a game of desert combat. UT2004 has taken over my life now anyway. Some of the new levels are great and the new ai is fun. The single player campaign is much better than 2003. Thats one thing about Vietnam, they more or less got rid of singleplayer all togeather and still have ratard bots who just stand there just to make it less enjoyable. Havent played Vietnam online yet, but i know well is is going to be more of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Yeah ive played it a little bit, only thing that was fun was listening to the cool music when the map loaded, other then that nothing special.

reporting back to Chaz game runs quite well on max details at 1024*768 couple of niggly things but that could be online play and nothing a few patches or driver updates won't sort out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

How do you listen to music while flying the choppers

press zero in a vehicle to get the list up and then use the appropriate letter for the song you want. i really like the ingame music i have to say

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Err... I'm love'n it.

But I really should stop abusing the internet as if I had DSL... spent far too much time online on sunday.

Comparing this to UT2K4 or Farcry, BFV has the worst looking engine with slowest performance. Sure - they are different games for different interests - however Farcry and UT2K4 shows what can be done with a decent engine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by Chaz
    Comparing this to UT2K4 or Farcry, BFV has the worst looking engine with slowest performance. Sure - they are different games for different interests - however Farcry and UT2K4 shows what can be done with a decent engine.

Ill reserve final judgement until I have a retail copy of Farcry, but from the Demo, Id agree that Farcry looks somewhat better, but it should do considering it started as an Nvidia Tech Demo, BF was designed as a game from the ground up.

After some messing around, BFV runs considerably faster than Farcry at a much higher res. Sure, I shouldnt have to mess with settings, but thats not the engines fault. Everything in UT2k4 looks like a cartoon, the characters and craft are very simplistic (purposely so). Its hard to get an idea of how good the engine would look trying to replicate "real" tanks and people.

The Battlefield engine was designed to manage large numbers of players with an array of radically different craft. Farcry's certainly wasnt and UT had an emphasis on arcade infantry combat. They are simply too different to compare in such a black and white manner. I find BFV visually impressive, flying over a pixel shaded murky river surrounded by forests lit up by gunfire from upto 63 other players at 1920x1080 res. UT2k4 looks largly the same as 2k3, that its to say, childish. It has no "wow" factor (except the impressive frame rate?).

As a game, Id still rank BFV more impressive then UT2K4 and possibly Farcry (may change on Friday), BFs scope is just so much bigger.

Matt

Advertisement