Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Henry backs Utd....

• 17-03-2004 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

From football365.com
    Arsenal striker Thierry Henry has laughed off claims that the Gunners' dominance this season signals the end of an era for Manchester United.

The Frenchman says anyone who thinks the Old Trafford club are finished is 'wrong' and that is would be 'ridiculous' to write them off.

Arsenal are 12 points ahead of United in the title race but Henry remembers that twice in recent years they have bounced back after losing their title to the Gunners.

Henry told The Sun: "Manchester United will never die. People who say they are finished are wrong. Of course they are not. They are a massive club and will always be - people have to accept that.

"People were starting to say similar things in 2002 when we won the Double. Liverpool finished second and United were third - and people reckoned that was the end for the club.

"And what happened? United came back and won the league last season, so it is ridiculous to start writing them off.

"United might have problems - but they are still a good team."

Just goes to show that the pros aren't writing Utd off and that too much is being made of the current Utd situation too soon. If they're still poor next season or the season after then is the time to talk about Utd in decline.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

hear hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 doozerjack

Nice to hear a sprinkle of reality coming from Highbury direction this spring. I think the Arsenal players must still feel embarrassed over last year's dialogue of "mind-games".
    I think Wenger's learnt a lot from the last 7 years sparring with Ferguson. There's nothing gained from publicly playing down your opponents and talking yourself up. That (French?) arrogance really grated with a lot of neutrals the last few years, so hopefully this fresh approach will win back a few neutrals who can just appreciate the football.
    Its also good timing with those two big games coming up against Man U. Weak as they are right now, Ferguson could still rally them to something big.
    No more egg-on-face, thanx!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

Although it is "The Sun", did he really he say it . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Originally posted by SanFranMan
    Although it is "The Sun", did he really he say it . . . .

Yeah cause the interview was done with Sky Sports news. I saw it but then saw the article and thought it'd be more trustworthy, but apparently not :) Still it did happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 GreatKingRat

It looks like Fergie's not bothered with the jibes this year, I guess he's got too many problems on his mind this time around. So hopefully Pires wont be drawn into another embarrassing rant in the run-in, like last time. I wonder if those two games will pass without that old ill-feeling revving up again though. . .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭crowl

I have to say fair dues to Henry at least someone in Arsenal isn't a complete scumbag;)
    <cough>Keown<cough>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SanFranMan

To be honest, Wenger seems to have finally cleaned up that disgraceful petulence from the Arsenal team. They were really embarrassing to watch at the OT game last Sept. I dont think you'll see them stoop that low again.
    I still think Henry and Vieira tend to wither in games against Man U last couple of years for some reason, I think Ferguson might actually have the measure of them, and have a little something ready for them.
    Sjhould be exciting games.
    Dont mind who wins, but I wouldnt bet against Man U to upset Arsenal in both games. They're far from a spent force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Fact - United have 4 more points that after the same number of games last season. Arsenal have set a new benchmark this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭gudpony

Im a utd supporter. I cant c united winnin against arsenal. our defence is a shambles without RIO. we should of bought a defender in the last tranfer window. Fair play to Henry. i thought he was a cocky git..i still do..

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Henry doesn't give a crap about United, he is just using that as motivation for the team. He doesn't want Arsenal to slack off like they did last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Maybe he's just giving an honest opinion on a question some journalist put to him.

*shock*

And tbh, Henry has scored a load of goals against Utd. "Wither" in games against them? I don't think so. Viera, possibly. But these games are always to a much higher standard - you can hardly expect people to dominate as much as in other games. The same could be said of many a Utd player in the same games.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭NightStrike

Doubt it'd be classed as withering but Giggs usually misses at least one sitter against Arsenal :) Even the year (1999?) he scored that wonder goal in the FA Cup he missed a sitter earlier in the game!

Advertisement