Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Taxes

• 17-03-2004 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

As far as i know, students dont pay taxes, is this right or has it been gotten rid of??

and does the term student just cover people in universities or colleges, or is it anyone who is within the 'education process', so for example PLCs etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by TheElder
    As far as i know, students dont pay taxes, is this right or has it been gotten rid of??
    Every PAYE worker pays tax if they earn over the tax free threshold. There's no magic out for students.

As for the second question, "student" isn't exactly a legal term so you can call yourself one if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Lafcadio

You might be thinking of the Scholarship Exemption (Section 193, Taxes Consolidation Act, 1997). Students in receipt of a scholarship can apply to have it exempted from tax. Any other income a student gets is subject to the same rules as non-students (with the possible exception of Local Authority Grants, which I know nothing about).

More info:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA39Y1997.html
    http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/schol_e.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭androphobic

maybe what you mean is that you can claim your tax back if you just work during the summer, etc?

you have a certain amount of tax credit per year so if for instance you just work for june, july and august then you won't use up all your tax credit for that year so you can claim back any tax you paid during the 3 months you worked..

Advertisement