Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Marantz 4200ose is dying !!

Options
  • 17-03-2004 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Well my pride and joy my Marantz 4200ose is dying. Had it 3 years now and it has taken everything I have thrown at it but now it trips out around 30 minutes into playing a DVD and gives this loud clicking noise and freezes up. When I check the case it is bloody roasting. I am assuming there is no point in getting it repaired and cheaper to buy a new dvd player.

Anyone seen this problem before?

Also any recommendations for a good multiregion player at around the €200 mark?

Gandalf.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I had a similar problem with my Philips player about 8/10 months ago.
    I decided that, whilst it probably could be repaired not too expensively, as it was 3 or 4 years old, I would be better off buying a new player.
    After a lot of (online) research I decided to go for a (multi-region) Pioneer 464K, which I bought from Amazon.co.uk .
    It's a great player, capable of handling any media I have thrown at it so far, and sound/picture quality are excellent.
    If memory serves it only cost me around €150.00 delivered (quickly too).

I'd concur with amazon and definitely pioneer.
    A Friend of mine got this one from amazon and it plays all region one dvd's no bother.
    Should work out at around €100
    It's tiny and slender and for the price, it has most everything you need.

Audio Features -
    192 kHz/24-bit D/A Converter
    Virtual Dolby Digital
    TruSurround by SRS
    Digital Output
    Digital Out On/Off
    Dolby Digital Output
    DTS (DVD) Output
    MPEG Audio Output
    Linear PCM Output
    Dynamic Range Control
    Conveniences -
    Advanced GUI (Graphical User Interface)
    Guide Indication
    Set-Up Navigator
    On-Screen Information
    On-Screen Bit Rate Meter
    Programme Memory (Title or Chapter)
    Resume Function (Stop Key)
    Repeat Mode (All, Title/Chapter, A-B)
    Programme Play (CD/Track, Video/Chapter, Title)
    Still Play (Field/Frame)
    Still/Step Play (Forward/Reverse, except VCD reverse)
    Slow Play (except VCD reverse)
    Random Play
    10-Key Direct Search and Play (Chapter/Track)
    Title Search
    Track/Time search
    Remote Control Unit: Heads-Up type
    On-Screen Display on/off
    Screen Saver
    Accurate Digital Servo with Automatic Jitter Adjustment (DVD)
    Terminals -
    Euro-SCART: 1
    RGB-Y/C Video Output (on Euro-Scart)
    S-Video Output: 1
    Video Output: 1
    Audio Output: 1
    Coaxial Digital Output: 1
    Video Characteristics -
    Horizontal Resolution (Lines) (DVD): Over 500
    Digital Audio Characteristics -
    Total Harmonic Distortion: 0,0016 %
    Frequency Response 48 kHz: 4 – 22.000 Hz
    Frequency Response 96 kHz: 4 – 44.000 Hz
    Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 118 dB
    Dynamic Range: 101 dB
    Miscellaneous -
    Power Requirements: 220 – 240 V/ 50/60 Hz
    Power Consumption: 14 Watt
    Dimensions: (W x H x D) 420 x 55 x 276 mm
    Weight: 2,5 kg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Before you buy a new one Gandalf make sure you give the laser a good clean. Is this doesn't help your laser is probably shot.

Why not consider a DVD recorder? such as the Ellion for £189 from amazon?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I have a similar DVD player, hope it doesn't go the same route... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Or, go for a DivX compatible one, for alll those backed-up films you made.

Alternatively (if your technically minded, or wouldn't mind paying someone to build one for you) you could make your own custom digital TV recorder (and DVD player if you so wish) based on MythTV. I'm planning on making one of these as soon as i get some cash together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well went for the Pioneer 464k. Ordered it yesterday, shipped today delivery due Monday-Tuesday from Amazon and all for around €135 delivered.

Will clean the Laser on the Marantz and if it works again cool I will have a backup unit :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by gandalf
    Well went for the Pioneer 464k. Ordered it yesterday, shipped today delivery due Monday-Tuesday from Amazon and all for around €135 delivered.

Will clean the Laser on the Marantz and if it works again cool I will have a backup unit :)

Gandalf.

Does anyone know where to pick up a laser cleaner in Dublin? I've had the same problem with my DVD player in the last day or too and though I'd try and clean it before I pick up a new one (even though it's about 4 years old).

Looks like you got one of the last few Pioneer 464Ks at Amazon Gandalf, they're out of stock now. I think I'll have to go for the 360S instead if the worst comes to the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

You could also boost the power on the laser which will give you a good while extra out of it, try cleaning fist though, use an aero duster. Those laser cleaners seem to be rubbish, nothing beats a can of compressed air. look at this article for info on boosting laser power, worth a try if you are goingto chuck the player.

http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2004/3/24/45212/6874

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

thats a pity Marantz are really sweet, when I get some cash together im gonna get a set

Advertisement