Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better you than me!

Options
  • 17-03-2004 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭

Rumsfeld really is convincing here. I didn't know wether to laugh or cry for the senile old ****.

"We now have 200,000 Iraqi security forces that are out there providing security in their country and, frankly, being killed themselves. There have been more Iraqi security forces killed in the last four, five or six months than coalition forces." - Rumsfeld on "Late Edition"

What a great indication of stability in Iraq.
    Instead of US miltary getting killed, it's underpaid Iraqi's by their own countrymen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Plays well in the sticks, though.

What demographic are they targetting now, eh, those 'NASCAR dads'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

What was the context? If he was attempting to answer the belief that its only coalition forces who are fighting the terrorists then hed be justified in reminding people that the Iraqis are taking over a lot of the fight against the terrorists.

It also helpfuly undermines the simplistic assertions that the terrorism Iraq is experiencing are Iraqis fighting for Iraqis. The terrorists are as much enemies of the Iraqis as they are of the coalition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by sovtek
    Instead of US miltary getting killed, it's underpaid Iraqi's by their own countrymen.

We will fight them abroad so that we don't have to fight them at home.

You didn't really think it was an empty catch-phrase meaning only "if we do this they won't bomb our buildings any more", did you?

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Sand
    It also helpfuly undermines the simplistic assertions that the terrorism Iraq is experiencing are Iraqis fighting for Iraqis. The terrorists are as much enemies of the Iraqis as they are of the coalition.

Surely what you mean is that they are as much enemies of hte Iraqi's who want the future the coalition is offering them as they are of the coalition.

After all, in the course obtaining our independance from Britain, the Irish undertook a policy of dealing with collaborators as well.

And besides....what was that Bush said - "you are either with us or against us". Can the Iraqi's who don't want the US there not apply the same logic? That those who are helping the US are clearly against them and their vision for Iraq?

Personally, I hope they never succeed, but thats because I don't share their vision....but I find their actions are not at all inconsistent with any loyalty to their Iraq that they may have.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

So if someone fights an occupation, as well as their collaborators, then they are terrorists?
    Orwell we're glad we knew ye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

What was the context?

Summarily the answer Rumsfeld gave was in response to the question "are things really getting better".

Advertisement