Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Bush Visit Ireland?

Options
  • 17-03-2004 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭

The aim of the poll is to assess the view of the users of this forum regarding the issue of the Bush visit in June.

If you think he should visit; vote "Yes"

If you think he shouldn't visit; vote "No"

If you are undecided or don't care; vote "Undecided/Don't Care"

Should Bush Visit Ireland? 51 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    37% 19 votes
    Undecided/Don't Care
    62% 32 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Yes. Give me a chance to wave my "WHERE'S PRESIDENT GORE?" flag around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

No he shouldnt, he doesnt give a damn about this country and has made zero effort since he was elected. He wants to come over here to boost his re-election and win allies for the war on terror. He hasnt appointed the foreign ambissador and were net LOOSERS in this silly arragement. The republicans (US) dont give two tosses about this country and would be hard pressed to find it on the map. Our best bet is getting the Democrats in back in power and everyone coming out with placques with Kerrys name on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

The answer, to me, would depend on wether or not the riot squads are employed against peaceful protestors as well as they leave said peaceful protestors be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Well it's clear their intent is to have the option of shooting at protestors which I find shocking.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Let him come. A few mates and I have a semi-humorous idea for protest and it'd be a shame if we didn't get to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

what difference does it make?

does anyone _really_ care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by thesecret7
    No he shouldnt, he doesnt give a damn about this country and has made zero effort since he was elected. He wants to come over here to boost his re-election and win allies for the war on terror. He hasnt appointed the foreign ambissador and were net LOOSERS in this silly arragement. The republicans (US) dont give two tosses about this country and would be hard pressed to find it on the map. Our best bet is getting the Democrats in back in power and everyone coming out with placques with Kerrys name on it.

Don't be silly he's not that intelligent.....

He knows this is the only place to play golf with a nice pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭thesecret7

well I for one will be getting a large "Go Kerry!" sign along with some of my mates to the protests! Bertie is going to be best mates with him on the day, laughing and joking like they were best buds since they were 2. This is all in spite that even though Bush doesnt give two hoots about Ireland. I say NO to BUSH and no to the massive security operation that is going to have to be put in place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Phil_321

Yes, let's give the most powerful country in the world the cold shoulder, that'll teach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

They had a phone in poll on RTE a few days ago and ended at 81% didn't want Bush here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

There Is An Obvious Threat In This Country If He Comes.
    Turn On The Tv And I'd be Surprised If There Wasn't The Cliche Of "Terrorism"
    Grouping Every Single Group Around The Earth Into One Word.

"Billy Didn't Go to Work Today Because Of Terorism!"

81%. Yeah, the usual suspects. The silent majority like myself who believe Ireland should keep diplomatic relations open with the US don't bother phoning in to these polls. I'm suprised it was only 81% actually.

Wheter you agree with a countrys' policies or not, refusing to talk to them is not the way forward.

There was also a poll on TV3 in which 79% of the survey said they don't want the Bush visit.

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

Originally posted by Phil_321
    81%. Yeah, the usual suspects. The silent majority like myself who believe Ireland should keep diplomatic relations open with the US don't bother phoning in to these polls. I'm suprised it was only 81% actually.

Wheter you agree with a countrys' policies or not, refusing to talk to them is not the way forward.
    People aren't talking about cutting off all diplomatic relations with the US, they just don't want Bush to visit. There's a huge difference.

And if the people who welcome this visit are silent then how do you know they are a majority?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Yes he should.
    If Chairman Mao can visit, why can't bush?

Also, if The american president shows confidence in ireland and the irish market, it means there is likely to be more american investment here, and whit out american investment, which is encouraged by the government, ireland would still be on par with Romania and Ukraine in socioeconomic terms.
    So all in all.

American president visiting = good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

American multinationals come here because they think they can make money here. They aren't a reward for welcoming their politicians. It's things like labour costs and tax breaks that influences US investment here, and not George Bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Lord Dufay

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The silent majority like myself who believe Ireland should keep diplomatic relations open with the US don't bother phoning in to these polls. I'm suprised it was only 81% actually.

Well, the silent "majority" only have themselves to blame. Until they speak up, the result is quite indicitive of the mood of the general public.

That's why they're called silent.

Originally posted by Phil_321
    That's why they're called silent.

I think you may have missed my point. There is no substance in claiming the "silent majority" is for/against something as by nature, if they are silent, how would you know what they are for/against?

Therefore, until those in the so-called "silent majority" speak up, the views of a sample can be reasonably taken as being indicitive of the public, unless there is evidence that a question has been seriiously biased.

• Advertisement

It's just like the ould biddys who ring in to RTE to complain about stuff they find offensive on TV. They're vocal because they see something they don't like so they act on it. The general public doesn't have a problem with it so they don't ring in.

Do you believe the views of these frigid ould ones are representative of the rest of the population?

It's just like the ould biddys who ring in to RTE to complain about stuff they find offensive on TV. They're vocal because they see something they don't like so they act on it. The general public doesn't have a problem with it so they don't ring in.

Do you believe the views of these frigid ould ones are representative of the rest of the population?

Actually I think there is a big difference.

The big difference being that there is solicited opinion and unsolicited opinions. I don't recall RTÉ ever asking people to "phone in and complain about this program if you didn't like it, compliment us if you did". I'm sure if they did, the "for" would outweigh the "against" or people wouldn't be watching them.

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    The big difference being that there is solicited opinion and unsolicited opinions. I don't recall RTÉ ever asking people to "phone in and complain about this program if you didn't like it, compliment us if you did". I'm sure if they did, the "for" would outweigh the "against" or people wouldn't be watching them.

No, I think the "against" would ring in and the "for" wouldn't bother. Solicited or unsolicited, someone has to go to the trouble of picking up the phone and ringing in and only those who feel strongly "against" are going to respond.
    Jusk like with the Bush phone poll. I'm for him coming, but I don't plan on ringing into any phone polls.

No, I think the "against" would ring in and the "for" wouldn't bother

*sigh*

Point missed again.

I don't think I can explain what I'm trying to say any clearer, so I'm not going to try.

You never did explain how a "silent majority" knows they are in a majority if no one else says anything due to their "silence". Now that, I would be interested to hear.

I didn't miss your point. I know what you're getting at. Common sense, listening to people not **** stirring polls, and seeing the usual supspects such as that Richard Boyd Barret chap mouthing off tells me that's it the minority who don't want Bush to visit.

Btw, are we to take the views of Al-Quaeda(ie. killing westerners is a good thing) as being representative of the majority of Arabs just because they're the most vocal?

I'm not posting anymore on this because this is going to go on and on......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Why shouldnt Bush visit?

Hes the elected president of a friendly nation. To block his visit when were happy to deal with terrorists like Adams would be extremely unusual. Theres no mandate to block his visit. Bertie would be insane to block it. It would hardly improve relations with the US who remain extremely important to Ireland regardless of whose in the White House - and it may not be Kerry either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No, it's a security risk plus he might get more votes from Irish Americans as a result of his visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Originally posted by daveirl
    I want Kerry to be elected but I don't think our government should take an opinion on the outcome of the election. Isn't that what we critise the Americans for the whole time?

Well obviously, the govt couldn't use election publicity as a reason not to invite Bush (that's just why I'm hoping he dosen't come) but I think the US would buy the security excuse.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by simu
    Well obviously, the govt couldn't use election publicity as a reason not to invite Bush (that's just why I'm hoping he dosen't come) but I think the US would buy the security excuse.

I would say that Ireland is quite safe from attack. If Ireland was attacked on account of Bush visiting then there would be a lot of angered Irish/Americans and Bush would do very badly out of that. The logic here is that I feel the US government is complicit in the recent terrorist attacks.

Nick

Advertisement