Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush calls for end to political violence in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 17-03-2004 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭

"Mr Bush called for an end to all political violence in Northern Ireland." Does that mean handing out punishment beatings to drug dealers who don't pay their protection money OK, once it's not 'political'?

And is political violence OK in Iraq.......

http://www.rte.ie/news/2004/0317/ahern.html
    Ahern to propose terrorism strategy

March 17, 2004

(20:29) The Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern, has said he will bring a package of proposals on co-operation to combat terrorism to the forthcoming EU justice summit.

Speaking after talks with US President George W Bush in the White House to mark St Patrick's Day, Mr Ahern said the Irish presidency had a range of suggestions that could be implemented immediately that would be helpful.

Mr Bush called for an end to all political violence in Northern Ireland. Mr Ahern said the implementation of the Good Friday Agreement was the priority for Northern Ireland.

After the ceremony, the two men had private talks, covering the North, US-EU relations and co-operation between the two sides on the fight against terrorism.

Ahead of today's meeting with Mr Bush, the Taoiseach said the transatlantic relationship was a core strategic partnership for the European Union and is a central focus of the Irish presidency.

Mr Ahern said President Bush was a strong supporter of the Good Friday Agreement and he would be discussing with him the continuing efforts to resolve the outstanding issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hmm does this mean there will be B52's over Belfast if they don't stop political violence ?

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

On a completely off-topic point, was I alone in not knowing who I wanted to strangle more when watching Bush and Bertie at that press conference?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Originally posted by gandalf
    Hmm does this mean there will be B52's over Belfast if they don't stop political violence ?

Gandalf.

no they have(insert ure favourtie modern day war plane here ) Jets with tomahawk missles these days :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Mighty_Mouse

"Mr Bush called for an end to all political violence in Northern Ireland." Does that mean handing out punishment beatings to drug dealers who don't pay their protection money OK, once it's not 'political'?

Maby his comments were aimed at those organisations not on cease-fire?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

is it just me or is this statement by Bush completely contradictory to what he's doing elsewhere in the world?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by daveirl
    it's just you
    unless you know of an unanswerable US military going around kneecapping people.
    Well, I realise it's not unanswerable since they do answer to the US government, and it's not kneecapping per se, but to say that they're not being violent and are respecting law and order is stretching it a bit:
    http://hrw.org/reports/2004/afghanistan0304/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Unanswerable US military group going around doing a lot worse than kneecapping: Israel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Its nice to see the irony of all of this is still lost on George and Bertie. Not that the situation is identical, but both involve some kind of "taking the law into your own hands" style action.

Still. I wont knock the man for supporting peaceful dialog. After all, that's what I've been calling for all along. Lets hope this is a new leaf turned over.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

it's just you

Why? Where did Bush qualify his statement to be "all nono-governmental groups comitting politically-motivated violence" ???

If he didn't then I'm trying to figure out how you interpreted so much meaning out of the word "all" ????

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭David-[RLD]-

it's just you

no but I know of a certain US army going around sending cluster bombs and missiles into the heart of civilian areas

Advertisement