Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition - Anyone got any feedback?

Options
  • 17-03-2004 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    Was just wondering if anyone has any feedback about the Ignition test? Anyone done it? Whats it like? What are the conditions of doing the test? Do you need to have your full license for a certain period before you can apply for the Ignition tesT?

Any feedback much welcomed,
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

o sweet jebus :(

Go to the search page and search for "ignition" in the titles in the motors forum. There's been loads of threads on it b4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kink933766

- I did the test last year..

If you're a half decent driver,you can't fail.. But the point of the test is to actually make you a better driver, it more like a course than a test really...

I'd definately do it again, it's great fun!
    as a bonus I saved about 2k on my insurance.

Quinn Direct Quote: 36xxE
    Hibernian Quote: 13xxE

I ofcourse went with hibernian...

This difference in insurance prices meant that I could sell my little sh*theap of a Daihatsu 1.3 and get it on in a 1.5 Honda Civic instead.. YEAH BABY!

In my book Ignition ROCKS!

However I can't not sat this..

Ireland should stop the whole learner thing, it's insane...
    how can you justify having teenagers with little or no knowledge of driving - drive around on the streets with the rest of us? It's like giving guns to a psyco kindly asking him not to shoot anybody...

I say full drivers license, or you're not allowed to drive at all... that has to be the only way to ensure better drivers on the roads.. by god there are some bad drivers out there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭TellyBingo

Cheers for the info :)
    I only got my full license last week... Can I do the Ignition course straight away or do you have to have your license for so long before y#ou can apply?

TB

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

'tis definetly worth doing, but even better is an advanced driving test from the institute of advanced motorists. Hibernian give you 30% off on top of your no claims, for life, and there's no engine size restriction.

The engine size thing probably isn't much of an issue anymore since it went up to 1.6 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

i got all 2's, 1 x 3 and 1 x 4 and i failed.

The asseser said i should get insured with that, it was a very good score.

lies

Originally posted by kink933766
    If you're a half decent driver,you can't fail..

I take that to heart. I drive 2-5 ton 3 letre vans as part of my living. I also have a 1.4 honda civic. My insurance is 3000 on the button on that civic.

I have never crashed in my 3.5 years of driving. I take my time on the road, and spot everything around me - even with blind areas i have never had a horn beeped at me. In my civic(modded) i cant drive fast because i will ruin my rims and suspention.

For you to say that is utter tripe.

There is a roumer that they have to pass 1/3 in each car. Which i hole heartedly agree with.

I bumped into one of the girls who was in the car with me who i got a look at her paper when she was being marked. Shes a teacher aged 24. She was a shit driver. She broke a red light, went 60 in a 30 mph zone and nearly hit a bloke jogging on the side of the road. She got mainly 3/4's and a 5 on his paper. She passed.

Steriotype i think is the key word in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

(typed this before reading your second post - if someone else got a 5 and passed, I can't explain anything)

You probably got caught out because of the 4 red_ice

I can't remember mine well - I got one 3 and the rest were at least mostly 2s (maybe all 2s, can't remember). Got the 3 for reactions due to a tractor suddenly dropping a load (had a 2 for that in the earlier session). Passed with that.

Originally posted by sceptre
    You probably got caught out because of the 4 red_ice

Then what about the girl that got the ignition course with her 4s and 5s as an average score?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by red_ice
    Then what about the girl that got the ignition course with her 4s and 5s as an average score?
    That's why I edited the post three hours before your reply and added
    Originally posted by sceptre
    (typed this before reading your second post - if someone else got a 5 and passed, I can't explain anything)
    (phone call after opening the thread and clicking reply initially)

I'll offer a few possibilities though
    • Had sex with someone at some point
    • Clerical error meant that she passed when she should have failed dismally
    • There's some kind of discrimination in there somewhere against people who may have cars with spoilers
    The bottom line with the ignition course is that if you're a half decent driver, you shouldn't (as opposed to can't) fail. I'm rather surprised that this dangerous driving teacher even passed her regular driving test.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

Did the course myself was excellent and makes you much more aware...only draw back is that I want to drive a decent Diesel vehicle but it they are around the 1.9 Litre engine size....

Maybe the could broaden the size of engines more.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Why is the maximum engine size permitted 1600cc ? Im a perfect candidate for the course but cant because i drive a 1.8L car.

It's less an engine size thing than a rough guide to horsepower. If I had said my car was 1998cc as it appears on the tax 'book' as opposed to being honest and saying the exact model they would have dropped my insurance loads. I was planning on getting a 1.4vtec Civic before I passed the advanced driving test, but I was never sure that Hibernian would insure it. Would they take a 1.6vtec Civic? It'd be much faster than a 1.6 Mondeo.

Basically they think smaller engine = lower speed = lower chance of accident. Which is bull****. Just about any car can do 80 in a 30 zone if the driver wished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kink933766

Sorry lads, and laddettes..

I certainly didn't mean to offend anybody with my previous post.

I can't say anything about the integrety of the various instructors..af if some large breasted bird with blondie locks passes after nearly killing off half the population of dublin..I'm certain that she must have done something else to make it "all good" again.
    That works like all other things in the world... As thew old saying goes..

"Nice ladies make the wolrd go around"..

Now, Blitzkrieger,
    Sure you can get a 1.6 Civic insured...but you'll have fierce trouble getting it insured as a 1.6Vtec... May I suggest a 1.6i
    I drive a 1.5Vtec myself - and only for my insurance broker being abit ..erhm..good to me - I'm insured, however it's pretty expensive...2k a year...3rd party, theft and fire...

They're nice cars though...Can't go wrong with a Honda...

Advertisement