Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

information needed on office network

Options
  • 18-03-2004 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

problem 1

can any one tell is it hard to network 9 computers 1 server . i have all the equipment - cat 5 cable etc , hub ,and i was wonderin if there is any point buying a switch for all this. i have setup home networks before just curious is there any difference when a server(backup) is envolve in a network.&

problem 2

they all have to have access to the net (isdn or broadband not sure ) is this going to cause a problem i no i will have to configure the internet explorer to do this in the lan settings in conections, but my experiance isnt that great when trying to have shared internet connection, so was wondering if any one could advise me please what to do .Need first time help required for practical use and pricing such a job .

I am greatful for any help I get .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭redhat_newbie

broadband connection/ISDN --> firewall machine --> router/switch (12 port) --> to all your machines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 silver surfer

You need to have a network card for each machine and then connect those machines to a hub or switch along with your servers and router/internet access device.

Once you have all these connected you have to apply an IP adress to each PC so they can talk to each other, a recommended addressing scheme in your case would be as follows :

internet access device/ router :

ip address : 192.168.1.1
    subnet mask : 255.255.255.0
    default gateway : 192.168.1.1

pc 1 :

ip address 192.168.1.2

pc 2 :

ip address 192.168.1.3

pc 3 :

ip address 192.168.1.4

and so on ....

you also need to decide what you are going to use for an internet connection sharing mechanism - there are several options for this, Windows 200x server provides a basic version of this or you can purchase a cheap hardware solution like a netscreen box to allow all of your connections on to the web.

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Suggest you use a DHCP server to look after the IP addresses for you. Most of the cheap DSL routers have one built-in, as does Windows 2000 Server. It saves having to manually configure every PC's network settings, lets people plug in their laptops and be connected with no configuration, simplifies adding new PCs, etc.

Advertisement