Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

Originally posted by amp
    Next up, the campaign for free journals!

excellent idea! what could we use as a mascot??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Yeah I need to discuss how my avatar is a filthy whore and will shack up with any Tom, Dick or Truckle.

Hehe i'm sorry, i just love that cow god dammit :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It's not your fault. The cow led you on, the filthy filthy skank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Originally posted by amp
    Hold on, I think it did just get boring!
    Nope, it got boring a long time before that.
    Amp test tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I've set my firewall to block http://www.boards.ie/bulletin/avatars/Movies_-_Unabomber.gif so carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by SantaHoe
    Nope, it got boring a long time before that.
    Amp test tbh

ooooooooo that's damned cutting, however it's only there to catch the occasional small troll. lol

Originally posted by amp
    ooooooooo that's damned cutting, however it's only there to catch the occasional small troll. lol
    jaguar.jpg
    To be quite honest...

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

am yet to see any one with my avatar.....

yet....

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

This has to be the funniest thread evahhhhhhhhhh roffle
    read everypost, my stomache hurts from the laughter :D

I have yet to see anyone with my avatar yet, I did have william shakespear till I saw someone else with it then I changed and I really have grown quite fond of mine, it makes me feel all cuddly and blood thirsty hehehe :p

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

oldposts.jpg

• Advertisement

BEAT wrote:
    This has to be the funniest thread evahhhhhhhhhh roffle
    read everypost, my stomache hurts from the laughter :D
    Yeah same here, although it was funnier when we were all using the unabomber avatar... I'd never before seen such use of a single avatar :cool:

This should definitly be stickied... but tbh I think I exposed a few too many secret plots by the boards.ie admins. :confused:

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Go to the Counter-strike board and check the old topics to see some of boards.ie's regulars extremely humble beginnings :) .

I can't - I'm banned from the CS board for "trolling". :rolleyes:
    Although I suppose I could just log out and read them, but I really couldn't be arsed since it's full of muppets anyway.

Oh right you were talking to BEAT. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Here's my ¢2½ worth and a possible solution that might help peeps avoid selecting avatar that someone else is using.
    Add an extra column in the Members List for 'Avatars name' and allow this column to be sorted on the fly. So when you're think about selecting an icon you can refer to the Members List to make sure you've got a unique icon.
    This should make everybody happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

So how come you can't have customs, just out of curiosity ?, if every single soul in ireland registered and uploaded a 2.5 k 64*64 your only talking, hmmm /grabs calc eh 10meg space, so whats the big deal eh

So how come you can't have customs, just out of curiosity ?, if every single soul in ireland registered and uploaded a 2.5 k 64*64 your only talking, hmmm /grabs calc eh 10meg space, so whats the big deal eh
    because boards.ie can charge for the privilage of having one! :D

because boards.ie can charge for the privilage of having one! :D

well for the people who do pay they get a very poor service, givin the very poor quality of the boards servers, I'll bet the money all ends up down the pub !

I'll bet the money all ends up down the pub !
    the admins provide this site for free and put a hell of a lot of work into it. if people want to pay for a few 'non essential features' thats their business, and what the admins do with the money, is their business too. its not like they're currently buying a new server or anything and trying go get the server issues sorted out or anything like that.:eek:

the admins provide this site for free and put a hell of a lot of work into it. if people want to pay for a few 'non essential features' thats their business, and what the admins do with the money, is their business too. its not like they're currently buying a new server or anything and trying go get the server issues sorted out or anything like that.:eek:

Im sure they do put a hell of alot of work into it, and should be rewarded, but I think it would be better if people donated because of the enjoyment they got out of the site, rather than to avail of services apparantly purposefully withdrawn in order to achieve donations, if they are in it for the money they should charge a small fee to all, rather than withdraw some parts that are obviously a major contention with some in order to get some money while at the same time playing the 'free service' card

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Im sure they do put a hell of alot of work into it, and should be rewarded, but I think it would be better if people donated because of the enjoyment they got out of the site

Precisley the reason I will be handing over my dues to subscribe at the November boards beer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I paid the subscriber fee because of my enjoyment of boards.ie the journal, custom avatar/tagline was just a bonus.

Amz wrote:
    I paid the subscriber fee because of my enjoyment of boards.ie the journal, custom avatar/tagline was just a bonus.

You have to admit tho, its 2 faced, pretend its a free service, but disable certain functions specifically to get ppl to pay, its like sample programs you can download, sorry you must register to enable this feature, is this not true huh, sure i'm being very picky, i don't care bout avatars myself, just couldn't let the whole we provide a free service thingy you should be gratefull bit slide, im sure the site makes a profit, between advertising and subscriptions, ads by Goooooooogle

boards NEVER had features like custom avatars, custom taglines and email etc... therefore these features are a bonus, not taken away by the admins for the 'normal' users.

boards NEVER had features like custom avatars, custom taglines and email etc... therefore these features are a bonus, not taken away by the admins for the 'normal' users.

custom avatars is a feature of the system boards runs on, its as simple as on or off, or not much more so than that, but its used as a method to entice people to pay money, as if its some major deal, when it isn't, custom avators could be turned on for everyone with a simple radio button click

yes, but their not going to be turned on, and whinging about it wont make it so. i give up now :)

yes, but their not going to be turned on, and whinging about it wont make it so. i give up now :)

im not concerned that they won't be turned on, just as long as people know thats its just a money spinner, and this is not a 'free' site but a free site deliberately crippled in order to make those who do care cough up the dough, and i shall give up now too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

im not concerned that they won't be turned on, just as long as people know thats its just a money spinner, and this is not a 'free' site but a free site deliberately crippled in order to make those who do care cough up the dough, and i shall give up now too

OH NOES CUSTOM AVATARS NOT Fr£3, CAn'+ USE SIT£

Who cares if it's a money spinner. Who doesn't want money. You have a choice not to get one, and they aren't essential.

Try SomethingAwful. 10 dollars to join, 10 for an avatar, 10 to use search, 10 to browse archives and much more.

It's a way to show appreciation and get something back, it's not crippling use of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

bananayoghurt from my knowledge of this bulletin board I would not be lying to you if I said that all of these options are not moneyspinners - they are ways of keeping the place alive. Without money this place wouldn't be here for you to spout from.

Read DeVore's journal, it talks a lot of the answers that you seek but do not admit to wanting to seeking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You think Rackspace is "free"? You think servers are "free"? You think software, tonnes of dedicated bandwidth, support, hours and hours of people's time configuring, troubleshooting and tweaking are "free"? Cop yourself on. I can't wait till DeV gets here. It's this kind of bull**** that really pisses him off.

For a long time, boards.ie was completely free to its users. Yes, custom avatars have *always* been turned off, and there was a thread at least once every three months moaning about the lack of custom avatars. People wanted to put whatever the hell they liked as their avatar. Ever been to an American BB system? You see massive avatars, huge ani gifs, big ugly mugs peering out at you. It looks ridiculous, and makes the site look tacky. So the admins always maintained that "not in a million years".

Then at some point last year, it was realised that there was no way in hell that boards.ie could continue as is, given its growth. So the admins cooked up a subscription system. Many people were already asking for some way to contribute to the site's upkeep. But people find it hard to just "donate", even when they want to. So then a package was put together whereby people who subscribe get certain bonuses.
    It has always been perfectly clear that you were contributing for boards's upkeep, and these features were relatively free or cheap features that you got access to as a "Thank You". You're not paying for features, you're paying so that boards.ie doesn't collapse under its own weight.

This site is not a business enterprise (at the moment). It was, and always has been, a community site. If the server is struggling, we know why. If the admins are having trouble keeping the server from going "phut" and dying, we know all about it. I have absolutely no pretences about where and how my money is being spent. It's being spent on a new €3.5k server, on 300MB of transfer bandwidth last month (to give you an idea of growth, that's about 5 times the amount from the same time last year), on software upgrades, and many other things. If the admins manage to get a pint or two out of that each weekend, all the better. Though I doubt they do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement